Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Thread: Dme reviews- good and bad

Everyone's experiences matter. But they won't indicate the level of service you will get unless you are getting the same product at the same location with the same insurance. I am reading horror stories about NuMotion and National Seating and Mobility in other areas. But I have had pretty good experiences with both in my area. On the other hand, I was getting excellent (relative term) service from a small local shop when I had private insurance. But they refused to even try with Medicare.

Of course there are exceptions, like the company is going out of business, or someone is incompetent. But generally, the level of service you get is in line with how well they get paid. Of course, you may say that Medicare pays the same everywhere so this should not matter. Yes and no. Medicare guidelines are a moving target. Billing Medicare seems to be an "art". Plus there is a huge difference between Original Medicare and Medicare Advantage. Original Medicare is centralized, rigid, government bureaucracy. Medicare Advantage is managed locally and privately. They have to follow Original Medicare guidelines as a baseline standard. But they are free to do better if they wish. And they do, in my experience. For example, Original Medicare guidelines prohibit upgrading a wheelchair to a titanium frame. Not so with Medicare Advantage. Because both the insurance company and medical group in Medicare Advantage are private sector, their compensation is in line with their performance. The better they manage, the more money they make, and the better they are able to serve you.

In other words, it's not meaningful to assess DME performance without also considering the location, insurance, and medical group.
    Last edited by August West; 03-23-2019 at 10:17 PM.

I am working with Blaine, the owner of Access Medical, Inc which is based north of San Diego- Carlsbad maybe. Yesterday I had a long consult with him that was surprisingly encouraging. He is smart, very well-organized, experienced, and seems to enjoy thinking in tandem. I decided to stay with his recommendation for adding 2 inches to the seat depth for this reason- the new seat back will rob that measure of about an inch, if I understand correctly, and I believe I will be happy with one more inch. I decided to go with getting a new chair for several reasons. Once I have it I'll use my present chair for out-and-about and for traveling. Leaving it in the car means one less in-and-out per trip.

Blaine suggested his shop can simply move the seat pan on my present chair forward an inch, then we put the quick release hardware for the ADI backrest on both chairs and I can use it on old chair while out, still maintaining about the same seat depth as I presently use. He dutifully presented me with the legal ramifications of letting him drill holes in the frame but I do not see it as a high risk. He also offered to send the chair to tilite for them to drill the holes, but that seems excessively cautious to me. The chair is 7 years old and I am not hard on chairs.

These folks seem to know all the tricks for getting partial reimbursement from medicare on non-standard options. When I see the paperwork I will know exactly what that comes to.

Lastly, Blaine and his minion contributed good thought to my vague idea of how I might handle a Smartdrive without injuring my shoulder loading and unloading. 12 lbs is definitely too much to handle regularly for my right shoulder. They brought one so I could test it. There is a grab handle on the driver's side of my little chevy, where that area has a bit of reenforcement. I will mount something a bit sturdier, attach a pulley, and work out a way of moving the Smartdrive using less shoulder strength. It will be more challenging than I think, no doubt.

So far, all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    He also offered to send the chair to tilite for them to drill the holes, but that seems excessively cautious to me.
    TiLite does not accept chairs back for repairs or modification.

Thanks, Stephen. Now I know I either misunderstood or his knowledge base is imperfect.

Blog Entries
    I'd go with both, just to stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    Thanks, Stephen. Now I know I either misunderstood or his knowledge base is imperfect.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

HELP -Selecting DME Vendor in Houston,TX,USA ... Numotion or National SendM

Can't find any reviews. Is there a better place to look???

I understand that service is very dependent on Location but any comments on either company would help a lot. First powerchair purchase, want to get the best I can while still insured.

It would be nice to start a sticky post with country/ state / city folders where folks could put reviews. Google reviews have basically all complainers but folks here might just review all vendors accurately that they have had contact with for others to easily reference. Is there another site where reviews are cataloged? Just trying to do the rightest(?) thing for my daughters first powerchair.

Thanks in advance.

MrMark
    Last edited by MrMarkin281; 08-29-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Hello Texas. Anyone out there? Need DME reviews for Houston.

Numotion or National S&M

Answering my own question, Numotion is the better of the two at this time as the National S&M has been purchased by an investment group, which leads to new processes and management styles and "optimization" programs. Lived through several of these in my career and they are always disruptive in the short run. Maybe good in the long run.