Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Social security money gone! In trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by quad80 View Post
    I cannot afford to get in this bind. Even though I've been quad for 29yrs I only started receiving ssdi 3 yrs ago. Is this just income from employment or investments income as well? I dont have a lot but get some. I fill out questioneer as well for kids, my dependant kids receive benefits from me until 18. I also receive medicare and to loose both would be tough. I have to admit I am not totally up on rules but can keep me up at nights.
    It is only income you earn from working. You could collect a million dollars a year from investments and rentals and still recieve SSDI.

You dont have to worry about losing your Medicare. Like Liz said you can go before an Administrative Law Judge and probably not owe them anything. If you have been filling out your paperwork then you have been notifying them.

Dont worry too much. It can be scary but you will be okay. As long as you appeal everything they cannot just stop sending you and your kids the money.

If I can help you in any way let me know. I have been around and around with them many times. I will gladly help if I can. Just PM me. There are lots of things they wont tell you like asking for the waiver.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I forgot to add the fact that I am a c6-7 quad but all I have got is limited use of my left arm. I was a physician in my former life (surgeon) and over the last 9 years since my injury i have tried to get five girls through college and two married so far. I also tried to keep them in cars (mileage usually over 100,000) It makes me so damn mad that they may make me pay mine back my wifes back and all my girls (until they dropped off) That is a large pile of money. I just wish i had taken names and made copies of all the SSA people i talked to. I especially wish i had a tape recording of the guy telling me I absolutely could continue receiving benefits even though i was well over their maximum. why they just now are doing this, I just dont know!

just a reminder: do not deal w/SSA over the phone. get it in writing. because i wrote them in 1992 regarding my son (born in 1992) and they wrote back in 1993 referencing him, they had to pay me thousands in back benefits in 1997. they couldn't go back to 1992 because i had no written correspondence from them (his birth cert. meant nothing). and yes, i was working and earning quite a bit over the limit for 9 years, but i had documented work related expenses, reviewed in person with SSA and documented in a letter yearly from SSA. make sure you always get a dated letter from them verifying anything you understand or are told.

having said that, they always send form letters out if they discover an overpayment. don't let it scare you. just work with them and get it in writing from them.

Well, here you would have gone to prison for that. It is fraud to work more than you are allowed to when you are on disebility money. And you would . have to pay back all the money too.

We can earn about 10 000 a year besides the disebility money and if we are getting one crown too much they are so stright. It is a disaster if you do that
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    Well, here you would have gone to prison for that. It is fraud to work more than you are allowed to when you are on disebility money. And you would . have to pay back all the money too.

We can earn about 10 000 a year besides the disebility money and if we are getting one crown too much they are so stright. It is a disaster if you do that
    are you talking to me? there was no fraud. when on SSDI, you can make over the limit if work related expenses (such as PCA, transportation, assistive devices, etc.) offset your work income enough to put you back under the limit. mine did until i went full time at a different company. it's all in the SSA Redbook. you get reviewed yearly, show proof of WRE and they review it, do the math and send you a letter of continued or discontinued benefits.

Cool Been there and done that

Shit happens! If you reported all earnings and have records no sweat. But if you have added income and not reported it bad news!! I took my case to the a Hearing judge. Represented myself. Judge ruled against me but was reversed 1 year later. Was paid back $3000 by SS in 2000. KEEP GOOD RECORDS.
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    are you talking to me? there was no fraud. when on SSDI, you can make over the limit if work related expenses (such as PCA, transportation, assistive devices, etc.) offset your work income enough to put you back under the limit. mine did until i went full time at a different company. it's all in the SSA Redbook. you get reviewed yearly, show proof of WRE and they review it, do the math and send you a letter of continued or discontinued benefits.
    No, it was not to any spesial person. I am not the Social Security but they would have called it a fraud if we earn a crown over the limit. I tried to work a little like I am allowed to, I earned 100 n.kr more than I should one month and next month they cut me 2000 n.kr and that month I did not work at all. I was just a substitute so I thought I could earn under the limit in the year and was not told they meant every month. Because they told me I could earn in a year and not a month. And they got crazy and I had to do a lot of explanation because that 100 n.kr, it is about 13 dollars. And they threaten to take my disability money for the rest of my life. For 13 dollars, but here they are crazy about the money people try to get besides disability money, then we have to pay more for other things so in the end we have the same money.

Like I tried to get a 50% job. When I calculated, I was loosing 4000 n.kr in the month because I had to pay much more for things and pay more tax and lost the money I have for my son from the Sosial Security and I would have lost my child support from the father too.

I really would like to work, but it seems like I can't afford it because Sosial Security always takes away things. We use to say they give with one hand and takes back with the other. 4000 n.kr is about 600 dollars and that is 1/3 of what I get in the month after the tax is paid.

So I did not mean to accuse anybody for anything, it must be the language barrier And in Norwegian we say you when we mean everybody, I try to not write that but it is difficult to remember.
    TH 12, 43 years post