Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank You Betsy!!

Thank You Betsy!!

Promote opportunities for paralyzed Americans
    Posted by LettersEditor at 5/8/2009 11:30 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Regarding the article “Paralysis study reveals new findings” (April 21): A study released last month by the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation shows that 1 in 50 Americans is living with paralysis. That’s almost 6 million people. Among the millions of Americans living with paralysis, almost 1.3 million are spinal cord injuries. The numbers are dramatically greater than previously thought. One of those 1.3 million is me, Betsy Volk, who was injured in an automobile accident in 1996, paralyzed from the chest down and now utilizes a wheelchair for mobility.

As we move forward in the debate about health care reform, these findings create a mandate to develop better treatments and promote opportunities for people with disabilities to live independently and return to work.

After my spinal cord injury and a 7-month in patient hospital stay, I became involved with state funded vocational rehab, attending college while living in a nursing home on $30 month. I then moved to and graduated from Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio. I became involved with disability issues around the state of Ohio out of a beginning quest of need for self-advocacy to get off taxpayer’s monies to find and locate resources to live independently and become employed. Currently, I am employed for the U.S. Department of Energy in Civil Rights and Diversity.

Many never get the opportunities to utilize state monies and resources to be independent or even leave nursing homes. Access to independent living resources and adequate healthcare programs are crucial to living with a disability, while researching for a cure for paralysis.

Addressing the needs of a community of 6 million Americans simply makes good business sense. We must promote opportunities for employment and independent living, as adaptive technologies and unprecedented connectivity now make it easier than ever to integrate people living with disabilities into the workforce.

The Reeve Foundation study reveals the scope of a community that is 6 million strong a community defined not by ethnicity, geography, age, color or creed, but united by the courage its members show in the face of significant adversity. Today we must recognize that community and focus our efforts to ensure that people who want to heal, to work and succeed have the resources, support, and access they deserve. For more information, please visit www.christopherreeve.org

Betsy Volk

Mason
    Every day I wake up is a good one

That is an awesome letter. Go Betsy!
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Awesome letter Betsy!

That ought to open some eyes... good letter.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

It bears repeating.............awesome letter Betsy!!!!

Good job girl!

Totally awesome!!!!
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Thanks everyone! Thanks Cheesecake! we can all write these to your newspapers with each persons stories because everyone's story is important.

Awesome letter Betsy!