Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permobil Owners, rate reliability good-bad?

Permobil Owners, rate reliability good-bad?

Hi All,

Anybody here have a Permobil Powerchair ? How is the reliability and
    support? Reliability issues?

Are you happy with yours?

I am thinking of getting one for the seating features,(elevate, maybe
    stand).

USAtechguide shows many poor 'Reliability' reviews on most models
    except the 'Street'. I don't want the 'Street'.

I want a Front Wheel Drive with only 4 wheels on the ground, for indoor mostly w/ some outdoor use. I already have several outdoor chairs.

Thanks in advance

john

yea i have a permobil c500 reliabilty sucks i have had to change to motors.tilt motor twice.now there suppose to come today to fix the elvater motor and the bearing i the back wheel...nope i will never have another one..but i hunt and fish n mie but still ive had to many probs with it

My mother has only had her C400 since August 2008, and is a light user (mostly around the house and some community, never off-road) but the tilt and recline and seat elevator get pretty heavy use. No problems to date.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    My Dad had ALS and used a C300 with elevate and recline. No problems ever. I've been using it occasionally to reach stuff on the top shelves in my shop. Elevating seat is very handy.

Blog Entries
    I have been working on getting the C500 stander for a year and it’s been an incredible hassle. So I can’t speak to your question, but be prepared for delay, aggravation, and an inability to get reliable dimensions from them if you try to get one. The delay might have been fate taking care of me and keeping me from getting it, because I just learned the Balder can go lower (15+”) than even the new permmobil (18.5”seat pan height).

I been reading about permobil and balder chairs. Also the difference between front wheel drive, rear wheel drive and mid wheel drive. Theres so much information its confusing.

At moment I just have standard quantum vibe with van seat but its only used outdoors for dog walking or nipping down to doctors surgery/ supermarket on edge of village. I'm not in it ALL day everyday.

I have been interested and wondering which was best and most reliable if you needed to be in the same chair everyday.

All the front wheel drives in UK dont seem to go more than 4mph with rear wheel drives going fastest up to 7.5mph. Not seen many chairs at or over 8mph unless they are all terrain style outdoors chairs or heavy duty scooters.

I have had a Chairman with the elevator, and now have the C500 stander. In eight years, we have had one elevator motor go bad, never a drive motor. What really makes this chair great is the way it turns/maneuvers, and how smooth it rides compared to others I have tried out.

Quote Originally Posted by Katilea View Post
    I been reading about permobil and balder chairs. Also the difference between front wheel drive, rear wheel drive and mid wheel drive. Theres so much information its confusing.

At moment I just have standard quantum vibe with van seat but its only used outdoors for dog walking or nipping down to doctors surgery/ supermarket on edge of village. I'm not in it ALL day everyday.

I have been interested and wondering which was best and most reliable if you needed to be in the same chair everyday.

All the front wheel drives in UK dont seem to go more than 4mph with rear wheel drives going fastest up to 7.5mph. Not seen many chairs at or over 8mph unless they are all terrain style outdoors chairs or heavy duty scooters.
    Bed!! But that is not living. ha

I have 3 RWD chairs that go 7mph plus, 3G arrow, two Quickie S-646's one is the SE. One 4.5 mph midwheel Jazzy 14, good indoors and out. With the right seating, I could tolerate all day in any of these. I don't like RWD in my home. Midwheel works best for me inside . I use the RWD chairs when I go out.

What I need is to ELEVATE and or STAND. I'm C3-4-5 incomplete and my arms won't reach up, (lost most Deltoid use). I like the seating PERMOBILE offers and think I could benefit greatly from the enhanced packages. Plus I could still take it out at 5 - 6.5 mph. Even 4.5 mph is ok with me.

I want to be careful and NOT choose a problematic brand. You know, breakdowns, getting stranded, down time etc. All my other chairs are super dependable but they keep me low. No cupboards, high reaching etc.

Soooo....I'm researching PERMOBILE for my main ALL DAY indoor/outdoor chair. I like the seating.

john

I'm a C5/6 and use a rear wheel drive Street pretty heavy use and working good for 3 yrs. It has all bells whistles. incline/tilt, etc. My only complaint it so damn big. I am quite tall, but this one compared to my Invacare sits taller. Its harder for tables, driving etc.I keep my invacare for backup because they will fail someday not a matter of if but when..

katilea, one of the reasons you cant get many fast chairs in the uk is that its not legal to drive on the pavement, or on the road without lights and indicators! its a uk law thing i think, but doubled up by eu regulation, and the cutoff is 8 (for roads). the only uk chair i can think of that goes that fast is the dragon, which is a really interesting chair. its fwd, and the seat goes down to almost floor level as well as elevates. the controller has basically 2 settings - 'pavement use' has a top speed of 4mph i think, the max for use on pavements, and 'road use' has a top of 8.

i have a quickie p222se which i bought from the us, and it has top spees of 8.5mph, with no specific setting for pavement use. but i dont expect to be stopped...