Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I an alien now

Banned

Am I an alien now

Well that what some people made me feel like today. I went to the mall with my mom today (the first time out since the accident)to get a new outfit [(just cuz im in a wheelchair dosent mean I cant be stylish) which is hard so far but il save that for my next post girls] and with the looks I was getting I thought I must be a big green alien or something cuz that how every one looked at me lol. but on to my question dose this happen often or do you just get use to it? and what was everyone elses first trip out after getting home?

love
    emily
    SOFTBALL was my life RECOVERY is now

Emie,

Yah, actually the first time I went out I had a panic attack ( and I never got this before) because everyone was stairing, kids mouths dropped, moms screamed to cover their kids eyes, peachers throwing holly water on me, etc. I was pretty freaky looking though, my teeth were still messed up from the roof smashing my skull, and I had a neck brace on, and I had a huge scar on my head + hair missing around the area, I had those nice thigh high compression stalkings. My face also was breaking out becuase I was jacked up on steroids at the time to reduce swelling. I looked like a train wreck hah

I was about to jump out of the chair

Looking back on it, it makes me laugh because they brought like literally 10-15 kids, all messed up, to the mall at once. It was like a freak show, they probably should have like I don't know, not grouped us up. Not saying we are freaks but god damn.

But yah they still do, always will, you just get use to it. Pre-SCI I would look at people in wheelchairs, I wasn't judging them, just somthing I havn't seen a lot of. I'm 4 and then some years post and I still don't like being in my chair. But if I'm around people who don't care and I know deep down inside they really could careless about the chair it makes me much more comfortable.

On the other hand... if I'm in a new place and I don't know anyone, when people start stairing it still bothers me some what, but its usually just the inital entrance. Hell I walk with crutches if I'm just going out drinking with friends and I get more looks when I'm on crutches than I do in my chair not sure why.

First trip when I was back hm...can't even remember, I don't think I went out for awhile once I got back home, I kind of just slept and went to rehab. So I guess rehab. OT was a good experience though because they took you out to let you know how it will be.

Are you going to school currently? School really helps, because it forces you out there and you get use to the looks pretty fast. To summarize my answer, no your still a human, you just have to give it some time to realize it.
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 05-11-2009 at 05:54 AM.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Hey Cory,were those your OT's in those pics LMAO look at the 2nd pic they lovin' ya!! You pimp.

Emie, yeah I know what you mean, well we all do but it does get easier. My first time out was buying clothes too, I felt great at first but by the time I was going home I felt like crap coz all the oldies, kids and all were giving me the stare down and made me feel like just what you said....an alien.

That experience put me off going out for a while, but don't let it do that with you, coz I promise it does get easier the more you go out and show your face. Friends are great because they know you and they just treat you like they always have, so that makes going out feel so much better.

Just ignore the stares and have fun what you are doing. Most people don't realise they are doing it and probably just thinking you're a right cutie.

I still get the odd stare, I just smile and roll on, or if its someone giving me a real long one, I just say hey if you want my number just ask....it's rude to stare

No, you're not an alien. You're experiencing a form of shock being newly injured and not fully adjusted to it while out in public. Yes, people do look at times, but it isn't as much as you initially perceive. That was my experience.

Chalk it up to Human Nature.

Recall before you had your accident? You looked at everything, even if it was just a glance, you looked. Even now you look at everyone and everything.

Now your just on the road to recovery. We all come out in fight/flight mode. You look around to see what or who is looking at you. You catch the least glance and it triggers an alert. You think... "they are looking at me" why? Because I'm injured.

Think about it for a moment, then realize it's human nature. It's okay.
    People are going to look at people regardles of the situation. We just have to get
    over the idea that they are looking at us only 'because' of our injury.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Banned
    Your very right rick I didn't think of it that way and it makes since. But it's still hard

Love
    Emily

Hi Emie,
    It will get a LOT easier over time. I promise. Most people are just curious, and some of them lack the good grace to steal a quick glance and then look away. Just remember you have been through things at the age of 14 that they couldn't even dream of and be proud of your survival. You're definitely not an alien, and in time you will notice how many others of us are out there with you. I know enough not to stare, but even I give a once over to someone in a chair, partly because I think at this point I am remarkably good at knowing not only the obvious stuff, like are they a cervical or thoracic injury, but also the ones that have nothing to do with SCI like MS or muscular dystrophy. Sometimes I look because there is a certain amount of "chair envy" going on for me, as I use a power chair and can't use one of those sporty little titanium numbers that every talks about here. Just accept it as human nature. One of the things I use to tell myself is that part of the reason they stare is that with SCI we look so normal (no missing limbs or such) so they are trying to figure it out for themselves. I think it is great that you went to a shopping mall......I mean, really, a girl has to have clothes You are doing great, and it will get easier over time.

Banned
    Dont worry eileen im in one of thos big power chairs to and i know what you mean about chair envy when I go to PT and OT and see the others in there little manule chairs I feel the same way LOL!!!

love
    emily

I notice kids are curious about people in wheelchairs. They aren't afraid of talking to you about it, especially if they know someone in a chair. I always talk to them about it & try to answer any questions they might have. Of course this only applies to the kids that talk to me about it or ask their parents about why I'm in a chair. For the people that gawk at me, I just let them because I use to do the samething.

Emile. Just be yourself. Be cheerful and have that go get 'em attitude. It's human nature, I just put myself in their shoes, I'd look. Get out with your frieds, that will make em stare even more, a girl in a chair, WHAT-THE f. Whats with her, then explain, and get on with it. You go girl, you got it.