Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x1.5" Frog Legs Aluminum Soft Roll Casters with ABEC7 Bearings

4x1.5" Frog Legs Aluminum Soft Roll Casters with ABEC7 Bearings

I re-posted this as its own thread since it may have gotten buried in Foolish Old's caster installation thread. While some might find this to be one of the most boring videos ever posted on YouTube, I'm still amazed at how ridiculously long my casters roll after replacing the 608ZZ double shielded ABEC3 bearings of my 4x1.5 Frog Legs aluminum hub soft rolls with ABEC7 versions from VXB. Mind you, there is not much noticeable change in the actually ride, but it blows me away that they spin for nearly 3 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u-IXIPWvcU

Comparable videos posted for the similar bearings on skateboards wheels don't roll nearly as long. This is probably due to the greater rotational weight of the 4x1.5's. This concept is something to contemplate when considering the weight of our rear wheels--something Scott Pruett has brought up in the past.

Yup, most boring video ever. You should make another with something interesting going on in the background.

Pretty neat find though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    Yup, most boring video ever. You should make another with something interesting going on in the background.

Pretty neat find though.
    You mean like LeBron and the Cavs!

where Can I order that!?

edit:
    sorry, I clixked on the link that you've posted

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    You mean like LeBron and the Cavs!
    no... something *interesting*

j/k, j/k.

I have stock TiLite 4" forks on my TR that look like the ones in the linked drawing. I do not have a caster extension (part 9 in the drawing). The inside spacing between the fork tines is 1.5". The chair came with 1" hub casters with two 1/8" spacers on each side of the caster hubs.

Multi-part Question one: Is this enough room for 1.5" Frog Leg soft rolls? Or do I need room for spacers to keep the casters from dragging against the fork?

Looking through my junk I found the old shopping cart casters that I used for an emergency replacement to my old A-4. They measure 1.75" at the center bearing race that the axle passes through. The inner race extends 1/8 on each side - so that is the only thing that touches the fork, allowing free spin. How about the FL soft-rolls? Another possibility is that the Ti fork has enough flex to allow a very thin washer (spacer) to fit between the Ti fork and the 1.5" FL soft rolls?

Haven't measured the old A-4 5" fork, but I'm assuming if I had that 1.75" inch shopping cart caster on it, it will accept a 1.5" FL soft roll with at least a 1/8" spacer on each side. I don't remember if I used any spacers with the shopping cart casters.

Question two: VXB has a dizzying amount of choices for the 12 bearings (two sizes, four of one, eight of the other) in my chair(s). Other than price, what are the important practical differences in choosing a wheelchair bearing. Sealed or shielded? Dry, oiled, greased? Ceramic or metal balls? Stainless? Does any of this really matter. Stuff corrodes rapidly in our marine environment. Do you think think stainless would help? Or should I just buy on price and change often?

Thanks for reading. I appreciate your thoughts and advice.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 06-15-2009 at 10:19 AM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

No wisdom for a fool's questions?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I would definitely give the stainless, at least one try. Stainless is less susceptible to corrosion so should last longer.

I just tried to look at my casters while laying down, pulling them up to the bed. It looks real close as to whether an edge would rub on a 1.5" fork, it all looks to be pretty flat across the caster. Later, I will grab my orig composite 1.5's that came with chair and see if they are different.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Foolish, i wouldn't buy stainless bearings. They are weaker than 52100 bearing steel used on regular bearings. I would go shielded (zz,2z) as they are grease filled and made for speed. The abec7 bearings are not a true abec7(i do nothing but bearings day in day out)they are an import from china, and they can call them anything they want. I have seen abec5 from skf and the cost is 3x a normal abec3 (which is as precision as you can get in a 608zz) i use skf 608zz, but i get 'em fer free so i would go to a sporting goods store and buy a sleeve of skate board bearings fer 12 bucks.
    Travis

I've used a few different types of bearings and in the end I don't think there is an appreciable difference in longevity or ride quality. I live on Cape Henry, with tons of sand and salty air. Just about anything not coated, stainless or not, eventually rusts around here. My vote is to keep a stack of cheap bearings handy and swap, as needed.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.