Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supra-pubic Cath Prob

Cool Supra-pubic Cath Prob

I've had a supra-pubic cath for 2 years...overall it's worked well, but I can't get the skin around the opening where the cath goes in to fully heal & stop bleeding a bit as I'm getting washed up.
    Any tips/suggestions?? Thanks

i use bacitracin ointment around my suprapubic stoma when it bleeds!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

HI,
    Yes, bacitracin can help. Something that your clinician can do is to apply silver nitrate to the surrounding areas. Unfortunately, this is not available to the general public and does requrir some monitoring but usually works well after a few applications.

AAD

A wound nurse tried the nitrate several times, but the same prob returned

I had the silver nitrate done about three times, my problem kept returning but did eventually work out.
    Dave
    C5/C6 complete
    http://www.davegrotzinger.com
    http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

Can anyone direct me to a site that explains the supra-pubic surgery? It looks like I am going to have to get this done, because of damage done (expanded the balloon in my tract) when a nurse tried to insert a foley cath and my tract is not healing with the Foley in place,

Is it basically a hole that runs from your pubic to the bladder and you keep a Foley cath installed? Is there still leakage from the original tract? Is this day surgery? I am having trouble envisioning what this will look like.
    Mike

It is a surgically made opening (stoma) in your lower abdomen just above your pubic bone (which is why it is called "supra" = above + "pubic" = pubic bone). The catheter is inserted through this stoma directly into your bladder. While is is possible for urine to leak from your urethra if the SP catheter is plugged or stopped up, this rarely happens, esp. in men. The urethra is not usually sewn up. The catheter must be changed the first time (usually at 4-6 weeks) by the urologist and after that, with special training, your usual caregiver or a nurse who has had special training in changing SP catheter can do it (many nurses do not know the correct technique). Otherwise it is just the same as an indwelling urethral catheter. It has the advantage over a urethral catheter of not causing the urethral damage that the former can cause, and for men, has some real advantages for sexual activities as well. It is usually day surgery or perhaps a 23 hour stay.

Here are a few diagrams that may help:

(KLD)

Thank you, I Googled it every way I could think of and couldn't find anything.

This is by far the best site to get practical answers. Thanks to everyone involed.
    Mike

Help

hI, Have any of u heard of a SPC device, from the ad it apears to be a small plastic dome thing with a smaller tube that the cath runs thru allowing the cath to remain stable and not flop around. Itt looks good!
    but s it?
    M

Do you have the site I could look at?

AAD