Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stem cell bill passes New Jersey legislature

crabtex,

Don't worry. I know Governor McGreevey and that he strongly supports this legislation. Senator Codey's father died day before yesterday and, because he is the primary original sponsor of the bill in the senate, it is reasonable to wait until January 4 so that he could attend.

Wise.

Mr. Fraguela is what the political establishment world wide needs more of...someone who represents the needs of his constituents and votes accordingly. No matter how much flak he may take from his own party, he did the right thing...and that is what counts. Bravo!

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

President John F. Kennedy wrote a book in the 1950's called
    "Profiles in Courage" about politicians who have the courage to buck the flack and vote their conscience. This man, New Jersey State Assemblyman Rafael Fraguela of Union City,is what he was writing about.I thank him for mankind.

Bill M.

Dr. Young,

Thanks for Governor McGreevey's email address. If we all let him know we appreciate his support of this bill, this will help him fully realize the potential impact that his support of spinal cord research will have.

Bob

Bob, yes, you have my word in joining you to write to Governor McGreevey. Suzanne

January 4. Signing of the bill.

It will be taking place on Sunday, January 4, 2004, 2:00 pm at Kessler Rehabilitation Research and Education Corporation, 1199 Pleasant Valley Way, West Orange, New Jersey.

Peter, Trich, Carl, Renee, Shane, Tyler, Kerry you guys rock!

"Give us hope"

WRESTLING HIS OWN BODY

Sunday, December 28, 2003

BY MATTHEW J. DOWLING
    Star-Ledger Staff

Time was running out and Carl Riccio was losing. His perfect high school wrestling season was at risk. It was time for a desperation move.

Carl had his opponent in a tight headlock, and he tried to throw the other wrestler over his hip to the mat. But in midmove, Carl lost his grip. He fell forward awkwardly, the weight of the other wrestler on his back. He was unable to break the fall with his hand. He slammed into the mat forehead first, neck bent back. His body went dead.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index....9464914300.xml

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

Thanks Leo,
    I am so proud of Carl,his wonderful outlook, and perseverance can be an inspiration to a lot of people here on carecure. I'm glad you posted this article. I am also proud to have been a part in helping to get this legislation passed. I have already gottten calls from people in other states who would like to try to do the same. This legislation will indeed "give us hope", and hopefully, someday soon, a cure.

Stem cell bill close to reality

Saturday, January 03, 203

By Terrence Dopp
    tdopp@sjnewsco.com

TRENTON -- Gov. James E. McGreevey is slated to sign a controversial bill on Sunday promoting stem cell research in New Jersey.

If the bill becomes law, New Jersey will become a national destination for scientists studying stem cells, according to McGreevey, by allowing them freedom to experiment with reduced government interference.

Some observers say the legislation is an attempt to circumvent federal limits on the research. Opponents see the bill as an end run around President Bush's decree that research involve 67 known strains or lines of the cells -- undifferentiated building blocks some scientists hope could have far-reaching therapeutic uses. According to supporters, the research could lead to a cure for everything from cancer to permanent brain injuries,

Nationwide, stem cell research has been the focus of debate in the new field of bioethics.

Because stem cells have not yet developed into more specialized cells, research scientists believe that a stem cell has the innate ability to grow into any type of cell, even a brain cell.

Debate over the Garden State legislation revolves around the distinction between "adult" and "embryonic" stem cells. According to scientists, adult cells are the type all humans have within their bodies during the course of their lives, while embryonic stem cells are cells at the beginning phase of life, making them easier to grow and longer lasting.

Some groups, such as New Jersey Right to Life (NJRTL), opposed the bill because they said cloning would be necessary to create embryonic cells.

David Beck, president of the Coriell Institute for Medical Research in Camden, said his center researches adult stem cells only; yet, he has been a vocal proponent of research with embryonic cells.

http://www.nj.com/news/gloucester/in...1314220780.xml

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

The religious right seems bent on distorting the reality of regenerative cloning:

""The new law would authorize New Jersey's large biotech industry to actually clone a human embryo, implant that embryo into a woman's womb, develop the embryo to the fetal stage and then kill it for 'research purposes,'" Mackey explained.

Meanwhile, ( governor)McGreevey, a Catholic is being lobbied by Priests for Life to veto the legislation."

http://www.lifenews.com/state283.html