Thread: UTI and kidney stone

Thumbs down UTI and kidney stone

I have a UTI, eocoli, citrobacer, and staphylococcus aureus, plus a huge kidney stone. They haven't done anything about the kidney stone because I was put on Coumidan about 5 months ago and they have to wait about 6 months for the coumidan to take full effect. So they put a stint in. But I've gotten numerous UTI's since November.
    Could it be because of the kidney stone issue or could it be the way my CNA's do the care associated with my suprapubic catheter? ~I moved to a nursing home from Iowa Veterans Home about a year ago.

I'm betting on an infected kidney stone. I had one ~7months ago and got uti's bang/bang/bang until they took the stone out. Haven't had a uti since.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

That stone needs to come out. Not only can it cause repeated UTIs with the same bug, but if it is big enough, it can eventually cause you to loose the kidney, either from kidney failure or abscess of the kidney. Get another opinion, see if you are a ESWL candidate, and if not, if they can work around your need to be on warfarin in doing a percutaneous stone removal.

(KLD)

i'm have the same issue. i kept getting asymptomatic uti's and i think it's my kidney stone. i've been on two cycles of antibiotics but it's still there. the doc prescribed me with potassium citrate for 3 months with a refill. do you guys know if the stone will eventually come out or dissolve? or, this needs to be dealt with shockwave for it to totally come out? how big is your stone? mine is 1cm.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    That stone needs to come out. Not only can it cause repeated UTIs with the same bug, but if it is big enough, it can eventually cause you to loose the kidney, either from kidney failure or abscess of the kidney. Get another opinion, see if you are a ESWL candidate, and if not, if they can work around your need to be on warfarin in doing a percutaneous stone removal.

(KLD)
    Thanks for the info. What is an ESWL candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by suncameout View Post
    i'm have the same issue. i kept getting asymptomatic uti's and i think it's my kidney stone. i've been on two cycles of antibiotics but it's still there. the doc prescribed me with potassium citrate for 3 months with a refill. do you guys know if the stone will eventually come out or dissolve? or, this needs to be dealt with shockwave for it to totally come out? how big is your stone? mine is 1cm.
    I don't know it's exact exact size.. They never said how big.. They just said, "huge"

The exact size should be on the report. Its important to know the size because that will determine the course of action. Most stones pass on their own and when they do, man does it hurt! They won't just dissolve though, they will come out. One cm seems kinda big, but I'm guessing will resolve itself or else doctor would've recommended shock wave therapy, and yes, they can cause recurring uti's. Best to have surveillance as they can get bigger and get "stuck" causing damage if not treated promptly.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwavs View Post
    One cm seems kinda big, but I'm guessing will resolve itself or else doctor would've recommended shock wave therapy, and yes, they can cause recurring uti's. Best to have surveillance as they can get bigger and get "stuck" causing damage if not treated promptly.
    not as big as some say theirs on the other threads which is the size of a golf ball! my 1cm is nothing compared to a golf ball!! my doc actually recommended shockwave (eswl) but i said not yet. he's a young urologist so i hesitated and got a second opinion. the second opinion, an older well-know in the community urologist, said to just medicate it since it's non-obstructing he doesn't wanna put me thru the trouble of eswl due to my being a quad. i agreed, less work and easier to pop-pills. but now all this uti's... no symptoms but it drives me nuts knowing that i have a uti

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi5 View Post
    Thanks for the info. What is an ESWL candidate?

I don't know it's exact exact size.. They never said how big.. They just said, "huge"
    ESWL is a shockwave theraphy... destroys kidney stones using shockwave. it's non-invasive and the procedure is done as an outpatient. the size of your stone should be on the ultrasound report.

For more information on bladder and kidney stones and their treatments go to the following website: www.emedicine.com

Look up: bladder stones; extracorporeal lithotripsy [shock wave therapy]; nephrolithiasis [kidney stones]; Percutaneous Endurology

Very technical reading, but it is informative and will help you in better directing your urological care.

Always let the urologists know when you don't understand.

And yes they can do ESWL on quads. I have had it done 3x's.