Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nuDrive

nuDrive

This looks remarkably like the wheelchair widget I saw on you tube last year, though they seem to think its a new invention!

Reasonable price though at £495 ex VAT (uK) its cheaper than the e-motion wheels at around £3,000. Though bear in mind these aren't battery powered but do claim to make it easier for you to propel a manual chair.

They are available in 6 countries (under this name anyway- if you are in US look for wheelchair widgit) - UK, South Africa, Canada, Australia, Estonia and France.

http://www.nu-drive.com/

I wondered if any of you american guys and gals on here have already bought them as 'Wheelchair widgits'?

Do they make it alot easier to get up slopes without having to pay thousands to add power assist? This company is claiming it makes it 40% easier to push your chair?

I think the Wijit is an entire wheel assembly, while this nuDrive thing adapts an existing wheel.

Interesting...

Do you have some?

Anyone on here use them to propel their chairs?

i got a set of wijit wheels from the us last november, and use them all day. i dont grip well and could only push myself very slowly with ordinary wheels, but i can go at a near normal speed on the flat with wijits. they arent a tremendous help for going up slopes in terms of power, but the fact you dont have to keep changing hand position means i will eventually get there on my own. mine are 1:1, and you can also get 2:1, which would handle ramps better.

very expensive, but worth it

the widjit liooks like 1/1 ratio ??...whereas thatnu-drive looked like he was rowing 2/1 and not moving equal to his effort...the widjit seems to take less energy/effort to the distance...am i right?

havent a clue about ratio's! It says on website it takes about 40% less power to push them.

I also have difficulty with gripping, my hands are slow to respond to taking hold and letting go of things so it would be easier for me to keep my hands in one position and use arm strength to propel too.

I mainly use power chair/scooter to get round village independantly while everyone else is out at work, but sometimes you need manual chair, my huge powerchair wont fold and while its great for getting dog round park I wouldn't want to go out for evening meal in it when I'm dressed up!

It means other people pushing me if there are any slopes and with me been deaf too it cuts off communication as person is behind me all the time. I figured at least this way I could push myself most of the time so friends can walk alongside me and I can see what they are signing/saying.

I also want to be able to use my arms for as long as possible i figured these would be a good way to burn off calories if i can zip about in manual chair for most of day and keep leccy one for distance or off-road.

amyk: So going up and down slopes and ramps is still difficult? Is it easy to transfer in and out of the wheelchair (especially in small confined spaces--bathrooms, car eats)? The info on the web gives conflicting information about how much wider it makes your chair [Is it 1" or 3"]. I would love your input.

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    amyk: So going up and down slopes and ramps is still difficult? Is it easy to transfer in and out of the wheelchair (especially in small confined spaces--bathrooms, car eats)? The info on the web gives conflicting information about how much wider it makes your chair [Is it 1" or 3"]. I would love your input.
    yes and no - its difficult because i still have to push hard, but dont have the 'moving hands' problem, so its certainly easiER...
    the levers (when in neutral) either flip up behind elbows, or lie down parallel to ground. i find it hard to push with my handrims when the levers are up (no room) so i leave them down until manuvouring in for a transfer. they each add about 1.5" in width, but thats only a big factor when the levers are down. one thing that happened to me is that i had to get the 'fit kit' (i have a tilite tr) which included a 0deg camber tube and no spacers - so i know have barely 1/2" wheel spacing with no camber, so when you add it up my clearance is not hugely changed.

ok well if you look on nuDrive site they are slightly different they fit over the front of your spokes, so that part shouldnt stick out any more than the hand rim does from the wheel.

The levers are removable so if you could manage just round house without them you can take levers off on the nuDrive and just propel if you only going from room to room in small house then just put them on if you are going outside.

It doesnt show any other kind of fixing kit needed on the nudrive site but I have contacted them to arrange for a demo and told them what chairs I have so I'll see when I have had the demo and let you know.

I havent actually seen the wheelchair wijits as I dont think you can get them in UK, so I dont know how they are fixed on and whether the levers are removable.

If you go to video case studies on nudrive site it shows an old lady of 94 who has arthritis and osteoporosis using them! So they cant take that much strength. Also a younger girl flying around london, shows the nudrive levers seperate as woman takes chair out of boot and puts it together.

http://www.nu-drive.com/who-uses-it/video-case-studies/

I guess up a steep hill it will still be difficult to push I think the aim of these is to help people who perhaps have more limited hand function and cant easily manage gripping and releasing on push rims.

Smile

The guy is on his way to fit the nuDrive levers to my older chair (quickie easymax) so I can use it tomorrow at a workshop I am going to.

Apparently they only fit on spoked wheels so i have to get some new wheels for the Da Vinci chair as it has Tri star wheels. (it folds smaller too to fit in car boots) but also requires something called a spacer because of how the chair folds. So hopefully those wheels will arrive some time next time but in the meantime at least I can use it on my older chair.

Luckily the person who is picking me up has one of those people carrying van thingies so my old chair should fit in fine.

Looking forward to giving them a good tryout tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on with them.