Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fell over in bed last night, stuck like that 4 1/2 hours

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I spent the first hour of being stuck on my side screaming and yelling, crying and regretting living through my accident.
    I did that last night too and I wasn't even stuck in the bedrail. Sucks, huh?

What a horrible night, and I am so sorry. Would something like an air horn attached to your bedrails be heard in your mom's house? I realize you might not be able to reach that either if you fell in the wrong direction. I once spent an entire night on the floor, and while I was depressed as hell about it both my cats thought it was a special event just for them. Can the bedrails be fitted with some sort of fabric so that there is not open space between the rails? Sorry, probably all poor ideas, but I wanted to say how sorry I am this happened and that I understand how much it sucked emotionally. I hope today is lots better.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Oh, damn! I hate to imagine you stuck like that.
    ditto.

Glad you're okay.

There has to be a way to brainstorm this.

Once I was talking to a colleague, C4, and she got stuck when she fell over in her power chair. Kind of stuck between her desk and her chair, bent in 2? She was fine...I was TERRIFIED!

My roommate in rehab, a C2, had a giant call button that was velcroed to her pillow. If you had somebody at the other end of that, or had it connected to your car alarm or an air horn or something, could that work? I don't think the call button was ultra-expensive b/c we were at TIRR and my roomie was on Medicare at that time. TIRR at that time was pinching pennies every way possible.

Do you want to re-consider kicking your sister out? That might be one easy fix to put on the list of possibilities. (Also, my brother hasn't spoken to me for 2 years and it hurts my feelings greatly. Siblings are important.)

In this economy, you should be able to find a helper for the price of a room in your home. Given you have the room, you might want to figure out a way to work it in your favor.

Sorry you had such a crap night, dude.

You know those ladders made of fabric, that attach to your bed? Would that have helped? Or those triangle that go over your bed? Given no triceps these are probably useless suggestions, I'm just tossing them at the wall in case one sticks.

I'm sorry you were stuck like that Rybread, that helpless feeling is so horrible. I'll never forget the first time I fell down and realized my legs were'nt strong enough to get back up.

I'm afraid anything I can think of to make it safer for you, you probably would'nt have been able to reach either. Like, a bell system between you and your mom's, similar to a doorbell, you push the button and it rings over there. Or maybe an intercom system of some kind. I think if you're close enough they might be able to be wireless.

At any rate, I'm glad you're okay.

Depending upon the distance between the guesthouse and your parents- there may be a baby monitor that can be set on voice activation, or in more private moments pushing of a button. Not sure if this is a possibility, but just a thought.
    I am sorry for this, please take care of yourself. Pam OTR/L

Ryan I'm so sorry you had to endure that.

It's exactly what I was talking about in my thread on does your bottom hurt all the time. I can't lean and pull myself back up and I know this. When others tell me I should be able to I can't help it. I've got in positions like you did but thank God after awhile I got up. What I do now ANY time I'm leaning or taking a chance I get my phone right next to my body BEFORE I try it. I always prepare myself for trouble ahead of time.

How much is the lifeline? Mine is paid for and I wear it around my neck. I think it would be worth your money to pay for it yourself. Then keep it around your neck all the time. When you start to lean over or try something stick it in your lips. Then if you fall all you have to do is bite down on it.

Praying you heal soon and your life changes to a more positive mode.

Quote Originally Posted by flicka View Post
    I learned many years ago to never ask that question. The Almighty Power has such a wicked sense of humor that it seems he likes to call you on those kind of careless questions.

You might want to rebuild that bridge cause she IS your sister.

When life has no more joy, or purpose, it's easy to feel wtf? Do you find joy & purpose in your life? Times like your experience can really drain a person.

Abosolutely and that would be the DEVIL.
    Once you speak it aloud the devil will make sure it happens!
    Power in the Word.

Ryan speak positive about your life as hard as it may be so God instead of the devil can have power over it.

ryebread, so sorry you have to deal with so much. You seem like such a great guy. We will have to meet someday. You would get a kick out of my daughter with SCI (11 years old) she acts like Jim Carey half the time.

My heart goes out to you and everyone else struggling with SCI!

I think I may have a solution for you to be able to call for help in an instant. I sleep with my cell phone in bed. When my aide comes in the morning she calls or texts me to open the garage door by remote when she gets here. Well one evening my phone fell on the floor and when she came in the morning I had no phone.

Solution: I have full range with my right arm so I leave my blue tooth on the bed stand next to me. If my phone should be out of reach I use my blue tooth with the voice activating feature. This would be real simple for you if you are able to press the button on the blue tooth. Then you could wear it in your ear all the time when you're in bed and if an emergency should occur all you would have to do is press button and say "call ----"

Hope this helps.