Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fell over in bed last night, stuck like that 4 1/2 hours

Fell over in bed last night, stuck like that 4 1/2 hours

I've been having issues with a sore back since I've been on bed rest so last night, I went to stretch my back by leaning forward in bed by using my bed rails to pull myself forward and lean up against my knees and then push myself back up, with one problem, I forgot to raise my feet up enough to be able to push myself back up easily. Okay, so I figured I'm stuck like this until someone comes over, just leaning forward, I can handle this. Well next thing I knew, I woke up falling over to the side unable to stop myself because my right arm came out of the bed rail and I slowly fell over to my left. Well, I fell over an often wear my entire left arm went into the bed rail and the bed rail went across both my shoulders. I was up high enough where I can reach my cell phone but the little blue hook I have on my phone came off and I couldn't get to it. So it's 4 a.m., I've fallen over to the side of my bed with my arm jammed down into the bed rail and I'm trying to do anything I can with the other arm to reach for one of my phones when I put that arm in a position to try to push myself up, which being a C-5/6 quad doesn't work, and wham, now that arm is stuck right in front of me and I can't do anything with it because of course I don't have any triceps. So here I am hanging over the side of my bed with my arm going through my bed rail, one of the bars going across the back of my neck and up the other shoulder and my legs completely flat on the bed, and now I'm starting to sweat just a little bit so I know I'm getting a little bit Dysreflexic, which fortunately didn't get much further than that. I don't know what would've happened if I had gotten totally Dysreflexic. I started screaming for help from my sister who I got really mad at the day before I told her she couldn't sleep at my house anymore (she's taken over my bedroom since my bed has been in the living room since I've had all the surgeries over the past year) and of course she's not here for the first time in months. Well as time goes on, I managed to settle where my shoulders got stuck between the air mattress and the bed rail, with my cheek being pressed up against the bed frame underneath where the mattress goes until 8:30 a.m. when my mom came into my house (I live in the guesthouse) to get something like she does every morning and freaked out but managed to get me up on her own. This is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me and it was horrible. It seemed like everything went perfect just to get to that point. This kind of stuff is driving me nuts and it isn't getting any better. So I was stuck for 4 1/2 hours with my shoulders between the bed rail and the mattress, WHAT NEXT? I am so miserable and freaking burned out, it's ridiculous.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I'm thinking you need one of those alert alarms. You can wear it like a watch, or a pendant. If shit happens again, press the panic button, and a voice asks you if you need help. God willing you'll never be in that situation again, but better safe than sorry. Just a thought.
    "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

{{{{Ryan}}}}

Bright side, if there IS one, be glad your foot didn't get caught in the bed rail, and you were hanging UPSIDE down for that length of time...sighhhhhhhh.....

Better days and nights ahead friend!

Take care!

Teena

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    So I was stuck for 4 1/2 hours with my shoulders between the bed rail and the mattress, WHAT NEXT? I am so miserable and freaking burned out, it's ridiculous.
    I learned many years ago to never ask that question. The Almighty Power has such a wicked sense of humor that it seems he likes to call you on those kind of careless questions.
    I started screaming for help from my sister who I got really mad at the day before I told her she couldn't sleep at my house anymore (she's taken over my bedroom since my bed has been in the living room since I've had all the surgeries over the past year) and of course she's not here for the first time in months.
    You might want to rebuild that bridge cause she IS your sister.

When life has no more joy, or purpose, it's easy to feel wtf? Do you find joy & purpose in your life? Times like your experience can really drain a person.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Are we having fun yet?

Hi Rybread,

Sorry... I screwed this post up. I'm still trying to get the hang of using a laptop. I don't like the mouse thinga majigger. I should use a text editor then paste it until I learn.

I'll be back.

Bob.
    Last edited by bob clark; 05-02-2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: screwed up
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

i don't need these so can't vouch for them, but i know of ppl who have straps with loops on them so they can pull themselves up and over in bed. maybe there's somebody out there that uses these and can explain it better?

the panic button is an idea, but i'm thinking you may not have been able to reach that either. i'm sorry you had such a terrible night.

Glad u ok dude. I had a careless mistake today in my pwr wc. It was all my fault and my lesson was learn.
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

I just lost my lifeline system because the state decided they can't pay for it anymore. Arizona is bankrupt so I may even be losing caregiver hours here soon which I have no idea how I will deal with when that happens because I certainly don't have the extra money to cover the cost of paying for them on my own. It sucks though, this freaking depression (this is way beyond a recession) is destroying everything. And even if I did have the lifeline system here, I don't wear the button overnight, It would typically be set on my lap and that wouldn't have been able to see it. That thing only did me good when I fell over and my chair, which it did save my butt a couple of times. I spent the first hour of being stuck on my side screaming and yelling, crying and regretting living through my accident. Everything has just been horrible since this year started.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

did you see my post on arizona on this thread?

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=118165

Oh, damn! I hate to imagine you stuck like that.