Thread: How to shave sitting in chair?

How to shave sitting in chair?

I know this is probably old hat for a lot of people but I don't know how to do it and would like some info. I use a blade and shaving cream, manual chair. My bathroom isn't accessible though I can get my chair in. I can't get under the sink and from the chair I don't know how to get my face wet, shave and rinse after. Electric isn't the solution I am looking for. I want to keep using a blade. I usually stand and lean against something but today it would have been nice to be able to sit. I should have asked Santa for a WC accessible bathroom. How nice they must be :-)

Most of my my post injury life I shaved with a blade razor and s cream and I used a manual chair. My home bathrooms have always had good sink access. However I traveled a lot including many years before ADA and faced a lot of real challenges. With experience I could shave quite well parked at about a 45 degree angle facing the sink and mirror. I put a bath towel across my lap and was pretty much able to bend forward, use the sink/water as I normally did when shaving, and when finished I did a closeup check with a mirror I always packed. Sometimes the bathroom mirrors were too high and I used my mirror. It had a stand built into the back so I could set it on the sink counter. I shaved that way in a few kitchens too. It took a bit longer than when I was at an accessible sink but not much after I had some practice.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I am a C6/7 complete quad. I've posted here with my solution.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ighlight=shave

SCI, thanks. I could give that a try. I put an off-set hinge on a few years ago and got another two inches. I can get my chair in and face the sink at an angle to that's a good idea for me.

GJNL Thanks for the link, I read that post. I don't like using an electric shaver and I don't have an SCI or problems with my grip. I have a nice Merkur double-edged safety razor. Nice weight and good grip. Sometimes not having to hold myself up to shave would be really really nice. I think I will give SCI's method a try. By they way, good electric razors are so expensive now, wow. I have a Braun 5612, years old. Top of the line then, now some of the razors cost $250. Might be nice.

I wish I didn't know enough about math to know playing the lottery wouldn't help me get an accessible home or I would keep looking at them online and dream. I see kitchens that let you get to the sink, open drawers and even cook without terror. I said it many years ago .. if you're going to be disabled it helps to be rich ;-)

I use the Philips www.usa.philips.com/c-m-pe/face-shavers But as you say, they are not cheap. Even changing the blades/rotors is another small fortune. The thing does work great though. Charging is very good on it as well as how long the charge lasts. I do though do the shaving sitting in chair at counter.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I said it many years ago .. if you're going to be disabled it helps to be rich ;-)
    That's true.

I use an electric razor also, Philips Norelco. But to answer your question, I used a setup like this to wash my face and brush teeth before we modified our bathroom. I had a lap desk, the kind with bean bags on the back and a hard flat surface on top. On that I put a piece of non-skid shelf liner and then a large stainless mixing bowl. I put water in the bowl and also a pitcher of more water so I could get fresh water to rinse. This is going back to life before indoor plumbing but it worked pretty well for me.

I can't look in a mirror. I'm so pretty, I'd spend the whole day, just staring at myself. I shave in the shower. Haven't looked in a mirror in 20+ years to shave. Bic razors.

I use this Philips Norelco

Got it at Wal Mart many years ago.

I get new heads every 7 months or so.