Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Bowel accidents are driving me crazy!

Unhappy Bowel accidents are driving me crazy!

Every time I have a bowel accident (at least twice a week), it makes me contemplate suicide or at the very least how much I hate my life.

They happen usually in the evening/nighttime regardless of if I had a good bm that morning or not (I go M W F with the help of suppositories).

For example yesterday morning (Friday), went to the bathroom, normal results then a huge accident that night and another big one tonight. I don't even eat that much!

Why is my body doing this to me?
    What can I do to fix this?

P.S. Had a bladder augmentation last year. My uro surgeon wanted me to do the MACE procedure also where you flush out your system through a stoma every day but there was so little info about it here so I decided not to.

I've been having accidents ever since my augmentation in Feb. 2004. They were very frequent at first but have lessened to a few times a month now. I have learned certain food that trigger them. They are the same though, I have them regardless of my routine etc. More often during 'that' time of month. Immodium stops them if I am travelling etc where I need to be accident free.

I hate them though. The worst part of SCI. If it didn't disgust my husband I would get a cosotomy in a heart beat.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Sounds like you're not emptying out enough.
    Very often, when my wife thinks she's done, some additional dig stim causes a surprisingly big load to come.
    Are you doing anything other than using a suppository? Such as dig stim after getting the first results from the supp.?
    Are you trying to get through the BP too quickly and get it over with (understandable; it's not one of life's high points)?
    - Richard

Perhaps you could keep a food log of what you're eating? After a week or two, you might notice if a particular food is triggering it. Certain foods will do it for me.

I post this response every now and then... For me the biggest help is cutting out carbs. Made a huge difference. Drink water, eat vegetables and move around as much as you can. I take 2 Senekot at least 6 hours before, drink some really hot water/tea and use a fleet bisacoydle enema. This works for me. (knock on wood)
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

I am 39 years post and can still have accidents. What goes in must come out, maybe it is the types of food you are eating. Veggie's and grains are very good. It is not normal for the digestive system to only work every other day, maybe try your routene everyday. Stay away from greasy foods. These things happen to all of us, don't let it get the best of you. Good luck!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

The first thing I would recommend is doing a daily bowel program. We only recommend every 2nd or 3rd day if you are having no accidents at all, and if you start having accidents, going back to daily usually will help to get them under control. I would also recommend keeping a food diary. What meds (all of them) are you taking currently?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2 View Post
    I hate them though. The worst part of SCI. If it didn't disgust my husband I would get a cosotomy in a heart beat.
    And he finds bowel accidents more appealing?

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf View Post
    Sounds like you're not emptying out enough.
    Very often, when my wife thinks she's done, some additional dig stim causes a surprisingly big load to come.
    Are you doing anything other than using a suppository? Such as dig stim after getting the first results from the supp.?
    Are you trying to get through the BP too quickly and get it over with (understandable; it's not one of life's high points)?
    - Richard
    I stay on the toilet for a good chunk of time and my caregiver checks until she doesn't feel anything else. Like I said, I usually have good results.

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    I post this response every now and then... For me the biggest help is cutting out carbs. Made a huge difference. Drink water, eat vegetables and move around as much as you can. I take 2 Senekot at least 6 hours before, drink some really hot water/tea and use a fleet bisacoydle enema. This works for me. (knock on wood)
    Cutting out carbs would basically mean to starve myself and I'm not a fan of veggies though I do drink water. As a C6 complete, moving isn't really an option. I don't know what senekot is.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The first thing I would recommend is doing a daily bowel program. We only recommend every 2nd or 3rd day if you are having no accidents at all, and if you start having accidents, going back to daily usually will help to get them under control. I would also recommend keeping a food diary. What meds (all of them) are you taking currently?

(KLD)
    A daily bowel program? Kill me now. Let's ruin my life even more. After my bp, I'm so wiped, I usually go back to sleep and I schedule all my errands/appointments for Sun, Tues, Thurs. Ok, I'll think about it, but will I have to do that forever? Can I take one day off?

I'm taking:
    Baclofen 25mg x 2
    Ditropan 5mg x 2 (used to take x 3)
    Gabapentin at least 300mg x 3 but usually add more if pain is bad
    Sodium bicarbonate 500 mg x 2
    Vitamin C 500mg x 2
    Clonazepam 0.5 mg nightly

** Thanks for all the replies, it was more of a rant so I appreciate your taking the time to reply. **

the vitamin C did it for me, over the years (31 years post) when i took vitamin c it would prolong my bp, since i only do them tuesday and friday, I got a good handle on what was causing the,.
    i don't drink water, drink pepsi's all day, take a calcium/vitamin d pill before lunch.
    found taking one rolaids after a big meal (usally lunch) helps me.

also a steak and salad prolongs it, spaghetti does good, but i eat junk foods, red meat, pizza's fried stuff, etc, no veggies or other bird food

i might have a unexpected bowel movement twice a year, but usually its from pigging out and too much eating between bp

good lunch, like someone said earlier, maybe write down what you eat, etc
    bruce

I understand the pain and agony that you ae feeling. About 4 yrs. ago, I started having bowel accidents. It started to interfere with work. Removal of the gall bladder was recommended. Things improved somewhat. Two years later, the bowel accidents returned with a vengance. I have missed more social functions than I care to admit and stopped working. I had bladder surgery- a continent urinary diversion[it involved using approximately 1 foot of intestine] approximately 20 years ago; bowel accidents weren't an issue at that time. But now they are. I have never wanted a colostomy, but I have read of some success stories on the CC forums. Maybe, I need to reconsider my situation.

My dietary habits are more like brucec's. And I also don't have bm's everyday. I suspect that I might have a diverticuli behind my urinary stoma from abdominal adhesions. Sometimes I get a very strong cramp/contraction in the stoma area and shortly afterwards I have a messy bowel accident. Othertimes, I get a twinge and within 30 seconds - 2 minutes Mother Nature lets loose with the smelly brown stuff. And then I live in the bathroom for a long while.

Try the food diary and let us know what you discover.