Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 mths post - Now has hips & Adeductors - Anyone else?

4 mths post - Now has hips & Adeductors - Anyone else?

OK, my son is just 5 months post (injury 11/22) and he just turned 18 while in the hospital/rehab. We've had home PT since our release 12/23 and has regained hip/flexors. Yesterday during PT it was confirmed he definately has regained his Adeduductors ON-DEMAND- repeatedly, over and over,flex - relax, hold it, etc.. we are so excited!!! Still no hams or quads but we are thrilled. He can feel hard touch at upper thighs and occasionally, touch at calves!! WE ARE THRILLED, NO SPAMS, SPASICITY, something is either "getting through" "worked it's way around" or wasn't damaged after all".

Anyone else? Can you share your experience? We are hopefull and praying for more.
    FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

That is very very exciting! I was injured 9/21 released 12/18. Started outpatient in the end of Jan. 09. Found adeductors and and abeductors. 8 visits later, found even more! we also were thrilled, just wondering where he is now? my spasicity is terrible and I am a t-6. just wondering what his injury was and how he is doing now?

Great news! I think your son is T-12? I'm L1 and am only 13 months post injury. I got pretty good return, and am still making slow gains. I got back the muscles in this order: quads (almost immediately after surgery), hip flexors (1 month post), adductors (1 month post), hamstrings (3 months post), glutes (6 months? post)...still no calves. It just took time for each to kick back in, and some came back much stronger than others. Hopefully, he'll continue to make progress and get more return. At T-12, I don't think he'll have much issue with spasms and spasticity, and most of us "low" injuries don't have to deal with that. The downside to not having spasticity is that muscle atrophy happens much more quickly. Just keep up the positive thoughts and hard work!
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi

drew: Thank you. We just passed the 7mo. mark and finally got into an outpatient program the first of June. My son is T12 due to a trampoline accident. Let's see if I can list them in order: Hips at 3 months (I think), glutes around the same time, but they are on and off still yet. Abeductors and Adeductors at 5 months all controlled movement. All of which we only had a home therapist twice a week as we were on a waiting list for an outpatient program which we finally started the first week of June. The therapist just recently found a hamstring firing ever so lightly. He can walk with a walker and long leg braces short distance. Right now, wer'e fighting the muscles as they have shortened due to sitting in a chair for so long and he can't stand up straight.

No spasms or spasticity, but a lot of atrophy. No new return of sensation, YET! His butt feels numb all the time though, I thought this was fairly new, but he said it's been that way for a while.

Thank you uscmolly and congrats on all your return.

Sounds like he's making great progress. Getting into an outpatient program will be a huge step forward! As for the butt numbness, I think that's pretty common, particularly at the T-12/L-1 level. Also, make sure do daily stretching, especially the hip flexors. As he begins to improve with walking, if they are tight, it will make walking more difficult and can bring on back pain.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks again uscmolly. We are really having a hard time getting him stretched out. Of course, he didn't get this way overnight. They're worried now about his tailbone and requesting copies of the surgeons' report regarding exactly what they did during the operation. He's doing pretty well taking steps with the KAFO's, but because he's bent, he's having a harder time. They said he'll need to be able to arch his back to walk successfully and he can't right now. Are you walking? Did you have similar issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Faithful1990 View Post
    Thanks again uscmolly. We are really having a hard time getting him stretched out. Of course, he didn't get this way overnight. They're worried now about his tailbone and requesting copies of the surgeons' report regarding exactly what they did during the operation. He's doing pretty well taking steps with the KAFO's, but because he's bent, he's having a harder time. They said he'll need to be able to arch his back to walk successfully and he can't right now. Are you walking? Did you have similar issues?
    I am walking (with AFOs and crutches), but struggle with tight hip flexors every day. We've been really working on this in PT, and to be honest, I need to be better about stretching them out at home. My PTs have said to "offset" the chair sitting, the hips should be stretched about 2x per day. I also try to lay on my stomach atleast an hour every day. Recently, I've been doing aqua therapy, which has helped a lot to get things stretched out and not put too much strain on my back. The arch in my back is limited due to my fusion (T11-L3), but that hasn't been an issue as of late. I think early on I felt stiffer...eventually you do learn to adjust.

Faithful does your son have knee movement? is it strong? I had a lot more complications other than my broken back so I had a lot more healing to do other than my back. Agian i'm a t-6. I regained something like this... (4 Month post) hip flexors. adductors (5 mon post), hamstrings (5 months post), glutes (5 months post) quads (5 mon post). sensation is deep touch on my right side to my knee and lighter touch on my left to my knee. uscmolly do you have sensation?
    And When did they start using KFAO's they keep talkin about it with me but Idk why they are waiting?
    I have more to claim.
    I have to fight through the hard places
    to go and get it!

most recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLEinnhYtg

drew: No, he doen't have knee movement and still no quads. His sensation is deep touch in the thighs and when he was on blood thinners, he could feel the injections. If he rubs his calves for a while, he can get something going on as far as sensation but not normal. His left side is stronger and has more sensation.

He started crawling in therapy about 3 weeks ago and although it kills his wrists, he's doing really well with it.

We order his KAFO's about 3 weeks ago as well, they should be ready next week. We're really excited about their arrival. About a week after he was cast for the KAFO's they decided to add a piece for his lower back.

I wouldn't wait on anything... we got so jacked around at TIRR Houston, my son still doesn't have his own chair and it's been over 7 months. Our experience with waiting on them to make a move results in NOTHING.

my left side is stronger and has more sensation also. I wonder if that is common in sci? I know the couple people I know that is gettin return there left sides are all stronger also.

As far as your son, does he do the aquadics?
    I have more to claim.
    I have to fight through the hard places
    to go and get it!

most recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLEinnhYtg