Thread: Open House this Friday?

Blog Entries

Open House this Friday?

Is there an open house at Rutgers this Friday May 1? If so, can someone remind me of the schedule? Is anyone going I could look to meet? Am I remembering correctly that Jim is going to join Wise in starring?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Is there an open house at Rutgers this Friday May 1? If so, can someone remind me of the schedule? Is anyone going I could look to meet? Am I remembering correctly that Jim is going to join Wise in starring?
    I will be arriving at about 2 pm that day and should be at the Open House on May 1. I am not sure about Jim. Wise.

I am not going to be back in time for the open house
    Don't know how Dr Young has travelled 1 million miles in the last 4 years, one trip to China and I am wiped!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I am not going to be back in time for the open house
    Don't know how Dr Young has travelled 1 million miles in the last 4 years, one trip to China and I am wiped!
    Jim really blew everybody away in Kunming. The doctors and nurses (especially the nurses) loved him. They kept talking to me about him. The day that Jim left, the political commissar of the hospital, insisted on bringing Jim to a restaurant to toast him, as a representative of the American spinal cord injury community and told him to tell spinal-injured people to work hard and keep hoping, that China and the USA will work together to make the cure happen. Jim made some very good friends in Kunming and they will remember him for a long time to come. The people of Kunming revere General Clair Chennault of the Flying Tigers (they were based in Kunming during World War II).

Jim and others took a lot of pictures and I hope that they will present their impressions in the coming months.

Wise.

Wish I could come this time Random but I am hanging at the homestead painting Jacquie's room with her! Have fun.

Mary
    1FineSpineRN

Randy was here, along with 9 others. I presented the research update, chinascinet, nascinet, the rationale for the choice of umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells and lithium, the rehabilitation consensus that we reached in Kunming.

There was one couple who has a son injured on March 21 with a C2 at Kessler. I told them that they need to focus on one problem at a time. The first is getting off the ventilator the second is getting his legs mobilized (he fractured a femur and both hips in his fall), and the third is getting function in his arms and hards back.

Another couple has a son who is about 6 months after injury up in Helen Hayes. We talkeda bout getting him up on his feet, that Christopher Reeve stood about an hour a day on his tilt table. We spoke a while about the difficulty of scheduling people for intensive rehabilitation in the clinical trial.

The father thought that everybody would work very hard and that 6 days a week at 6 hours a day could be done. I explained that such a schedule would be brutal for even able-bodied people, walking 6 hours a day. I think that it was Jim Bennett who pointed out how good shape all the patients were in Kunming. *One would have to be after doing the equivalent of a marathon every day.

Wise.

Blog Entries
    I was a wonderful affirmation of hope, as well as a usual treat to see Wise and Patricia. I highly encourage making one if you can. I’d love to know next time someone here is going.

How often are the open houses?
    Inc C4 since Oct 07

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" - Optimus Prime

Blog Entries
    I think they’re the first Friday of every month, though there is a truncated summer schedule. Would someone post the website to check? I usually confirm here before going.