Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swine Flu in Texas

Unhappy Swine Flu in Texas

We had a child die in Houston.

They've closed 4 schools in my town.
    Kids had the flu in H.S. so they closed it.
    Praying it's not the Swine Flu.
    Bad because they were taking Taks Test.

I'm scared of my aides. Well leary.
    They have children in all grades including H.S..
    Three more cases of it in North Texas. I'm central.
    All my kids & grandkids aren't leaving their houses except emergency.

Unhappy

Mona that is so sad to hear. Scary too.

Just finished talking with my sister on the phone and she told me that a girl in my doctors office has it now. He is giving the staff shots. The thing I am now thinking now is how much exposure there might have been to other patients this week too. My niece, his nurse, is not worried about it since she will most likely be getting the shot, but still I worry.

Hope and pray this doesn't get any worse in this Texas city either.

Raven

I hope it doesn't get crazy down there cuz I'll be down in the dallas/ft.worth area in a few weeks to visit my sister. According to my sister its the same as usual, the kids are still going to school and so is she.

Thanks Raven, wtf.

I'd be worried too Raven.
    All schools in my town closed now.
    64 confirmed cases in USA now.
    It's in 9 states and 7 counties.
    Cali issued a state of emergency.
    Cali, Kansas, Ohio, Texas, NY and 4 more.
    They located the 1s person a 4 y/o boy in Mexico.
    He lived and is fine now.
    They said to buy tamiflu and have it ready but it's running out everywhere.
    You die from your lungs.
    Your body tries real hard to fight it and makes fluid as it's fighting,
    which drains to your lungs & kills you.
    In NY 800 kids called in sick at one school.

Mona,

Don't panic.
    The child who died today was from Mexico and was visiting relatives in Brownsville when he got sick. He was already critically ill when he came to Texas Childrens Hospital in Houston. No-one is wearing face masks here. The pharmacies are out of Tamiflu but I think it's because well-people are demanding prescriptions from their doctors to have on hand. Houston schools are open. There was one reported case at Notre Dame University in Indiana and the student is fine.
    The regular flu vaccine from this year is not effective for swine flu so I'm not sure what kind of shots Raven's niece is getting.
    On an odd but humerous side: The Government wants to call it the H1N1 Virus because "Swine Flu" is hurting the Pork and feed industry. Israel, with a population of Jews and Muslims who don't eat pork, is calling it the Mexican Flu

Everyone needs to calm down a bit and remember that this is a very different time period from the killing flu of 1918. If a local doctor is giving people tamiflu simply because they describe flu-like symptoms he is making both an ethical and medical mistake. Ethical because it will likely hasten the viral mutation to drug resistant, and medical because there is no medical verification of this viral type.

correction.......I meant to say the doctor was making an UNETHICAL decision to give Tamiflu to people simply because they think they have the flu without confirmation that it is truly necessary. That is what cause drug resistantance.

But in US most SCI patients use to take a pneumonia shot and then I don't think you should be so afraid. I honestly believe it is like the flu in 57 and 69, a little more bad than the usual flu.

In 1917 the people were poor and had bad nutrition, we have a much stronger immune system now. I am not afraid when I read the newspaper and hear what the Healt Minister says about it here. Look how afraid we were from the bird flu some years ago and nothing happen. I think they are making it more big than it is.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    But in US most SCI patients use to take a pneumonia shot and then I don't think you should be so afraid. I honestly believe it is like the flu in 57 and 69, a little more bad than the usual flu.
    Any previous flu shots people got before this new virus appeared will have no effect on it.

In 1917 the people were poor and had bad nutrition, we have a much stronger immune system now. I am not afraid when I read the newspaper and hear what the Healt Minister says about it here. Look how afraid we were from the bird flu some years ago and nothing happen. I think they are making it more big than it is.
    Most people with SCI have less than stellar immune systems comparable to those able-bodied.

I think the WHO is doing what's necessary (WHO raises pandemic alert to level 5 out of 6 levels total). The '2009 H1N1' virus has spread to many countries, and seems to be somewhat easily transmissible between humans. There is no immunity to this new virus for most people (although I'm sure some people will have a natural immunity) because of the fact we haven't encountered it to date and have not built up any resistance. In the end, it's better to be safe than sorry. The plus is most people seem to recover without even having to be hospitalized in areas outside of Mexico. Another plus is Tamiflu and another drug I can't remember the name of seem to work. The negative is if it mutates and adapts so that it's more virulent and Tamiflu and the other drug lose their efficacy.

Next most important step probably is to crack the genetic code of the H1N1 and find the reason why deaths have only occurred to those who caught the influenza in Mexico (at least at this moment in time) - and also discover why young and healthy people in Mexico have died from it. Calm but cautious are the buzzwords. If you're sick, stay away from crowded venues and transportation. Wash your hands often, and keep sneezes and coughs controlled to your person. Do the same with your kids. Hopefully it'll burn out because summer is almost upon us in the Northern Hemisphere. I don't know what impact or how more severe the H1N1 will be in the Southern Hemisphere due to it being winter there.

~36,000 people die in the US each year from known strains of flu. This one will be back this fall, as skippy points out in another thread. By then, we'll surely have a vaccine in place, or there'll be hell to pay.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I hope you are right WFE. Hope and pray this will be over soon.

Eileen, I am not sure whether the case I mentioned is just the flu since the girl does work in the doc's office and apparently he thinks it is. Who knows, all I know is that this is scary. My immune system is really bad and I'd hate for it to be something serious to break out here in EP which is in Tx too. Am also hoping you are right though.

Raven