Thread: sliding glass door threshold mod help

sliding glass door threshold mod help

ok, we just had a nice stamped, colored concrete patio put on off the back. access is through our sliding glass door. im trying to figure out something i can put over the rails/threshhold so i dont break the plastic rolling over them all the time. so far we cut a piece of wood same depth and drop it in where the glass door slides, it works but looking for other options.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

One of the better solutions would be to replace the slider with a zero clearance threshold atrium door. Everything else is a work-around.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

True, but not an option.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

post a picture. One workaround would be a 2"x? wooden drop-over threshold hollowed underneath and beveled at both ends. Or make two separate pieces (each beveled on one edge) to raise you above the door track that you fasten on each side of door and leave in place .

Can you wheelie?

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    True, but not an option.
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

lots like this.
    Foolish

We had wooden thresholds built like these:

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73...ld-619707.aspx

They went outside the frame of the slider, are are low enough that Matt doesn't have a problem rolling over them. They don't run the entire length of the door, just as wide as the opening for the door.

For our sliding door I use this 1" rise threshold E-Z Access ramp, that was purchased from Spin Life.

http://www.spinlife.com/E-Z-Access-1...?productID=633

They also have them in sizes up to a 6" rise for different threshold styles.

Good Luck...

Joe

great ideas guys. ill shoot a pic. see my issue is the patio is a tad lower than the house floor, so putting a threshhold on inside and out makes it tricky. currently i have a makeshift threshhold on patio side and a 1/4 in square piece that i drop in the track where the door slides, these take the pressure. im just wanting something more pleasing to the eye
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

We have the same thing - 8 foot sliding door. My father made wooden little (like) thresholds for both inside and outside and our son has used for 11 years now with a power chair and no problem and they look good to.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I have what are called a Diestco Nosing Ramp, on both sides of 6 foot sliders. They come in three thicknesses and are 36 inches long.
    I have been running a 700 pound load (me and power chair) back and forth for 3 years with no breakage.

www.lakesidemobility.com click- store, search - nosing ramps
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-30-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt