Thread: Fixing a water damaged book

Fixing a water damaged book

Any ideas?

I just found a library book that had been soaking in a pool of gatorade at the bottom of a book bag. And given that I have a less than stellar record at this library, I really don't want to return it this way. Although one more black mark on my file doesn't matter now. I guess I will be furnishing the library with a new copy of said book.

Hair drier? Anything else that works to make a water logged book pass for normal?
    Last edited by orangejello; 04-28-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Are you looking for a do-it-yourself method or to hire a professional? There are firms that specialize in repair of damaged books. You still have a very small window of time to get the book to them before it's not repairable. For small spills, i've just sorta of blotted the liquid with paper towels, then ironed the pages flat.

Is the book rare or irreplaceable? If not, it's probably cheapest and easiest to replace the book.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc View Post
    Are you looking for a do-it-yourself method or to hire a professional? There are firms that specialize in repair of damaged books. You still have a very small window of time to get the book to them before it's not repairable. For small spills, i've just sorta of blotted the liquid with paper towels, then ironed the pages flat.

Is the book rare or irreplaceable? If not, it's probably cheapest and easiest to replace the book.
    Not irreplaceable but it is not going to be cheap for me to replace. But probably cheaper than taking it out to be repaired. I never thought about using an iron. But since every page got wet that might not be a feasible option here.

Thanks Dan.

I would blot them with paper towel or other absorbant material between every pageand then wait for it to be completely dried before applying iron. That should actually take care of most of it, although the paper tends to dry wrinkled. Then the iron helps get it flattened.

I've done this with library books b4.

Hehe
    Daniel

Thanks! I have convinced somebody to do the process you described. Ill let you know how it turns out.

It comforts me somewhat to know I am not the only one to have library book mishaps
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc View Post
    I would blot them with paper towel or other absorbant material between every pageand then wait for it to be completely dried before applying iron. That should actually take care of most of it, although the paper tends to dry wrinkled. Then the iron helps get it flattened.

I've done this with library books b4.

Hehe
    Last edited by orangejello; 04-28-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Dont let the ironer use the steam function on the iron.

Don't ask, 'cause I'll never tell.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Amanda, I always consider the money $ I pay the library in late fines and replacement for books a donation to a good cause

Always seems that I owe something! (Although, at one of the libraries I frequent, I am among the "no fines" elite, for senior citizens .... the librarian made an executive decision that it should also apply to the disabled. )
    T7-8 since Feb 2005