Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Vegetable Gardening

Don't kill these boogers, they are monarch butterflies in the making and they love parsley. They ate so much of my parsley one year I had to supplement with store bought.

If you don't want to just breed monarch butterflies, but actually get something to eat off that garden, you might want to try using BT (bacillus thuriengensis) spray. It will kill nearly all caterpillars but is non-toxic to humans. It works for tomato hookworms too.

(KLD)

Thanks! I'll see if I can find some later today because I'm growing the garden for food not for butterflies!

Quote Originally Posted by Danine View Post
    I planted my garden today...just a small one...green and red peppers, salad greens, cucumbers, and yellow and red tomatoes.

I thought I'd keep a picture thread going here to monitor the progress.

Anyone else who's planning a garden, feel free to post!!!

Day 1 pictured below...lol.
    Danine I'm gonna plant a small garden this year. Something about like your picture. I want to make a container like your's or maybe if it doesn't cost too much about 3 ft high.

What kind of lumber did you use?
    or reworded what would be an economical wood to build a container.

Do you have a garden this year?

Looks good Danine.
    I'm here, you over there and in the middle is tiffany jewelry.

My garden is still in the kitchen window. Last frost for is us still a month away even though it has been warm lately. I have been frozen before so I learned no to push mother nature, she will bite you in the ass every time.

I have four kinds of tomatoes, six varieties of peppers, broccoli, and cauliflower in the window. Radishes and lettuce are in the ground with peas to follow in a week or two. I often have better luck with spring crops in the fall but I keep trying. Cukes, zukes, and green beans will be directly planted in about six weeks. I use a compost bin that I feed all year round (at first the neighbors thought I was on drugs but now they see how much better my garden grows, with no chemicals. I layer the kitchen scraps with leaves from the 20+ oaks trees on our property. I moved the garden closer to the house after Ryan was injured but still have strawberries and blueberries in the old spot. I will post pics when it gets going. I use my freezer to save as much as I can. Not only does it taste better but I know where it came from.--eak