Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ChinaSCINet and NASCINet meetings in China

Leo,

It will be up to the individual centers to raise funds from local state and other sources, as well as donors, of course. We will be applying to the NJ Commission.

It is important to point out the difference in costs for grants and clinical trials. As pointed out below, we will need about $3 million per center studying 30 subjects (i.e. 10 subjects in each of three treatment group). The total budget of the New Jersey Spinal Cord Commission is about $3 million. So, while the state funds may be able to help with some of the costs, the bulk of the funds must be raised from private donations and industry sponsorship.

We are using umbilical cord blood cells from Stemcyte who will be donating the cells and processing. Note that each unit of cord blood is about $22,000. The processing and shipping costs may be as much as $12,000. We will be using over 220 units in the United States. Thus, just the treatment alone is likely to cost about $7.5 million.

Wise.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Hi Wise,

I was trying to think of who to contact but your probably the one.

On this money side, there are 3-4 centers from NY, NJ as possible centers. Are the PI's at these centers aware of the NY and NJ SCI Trust Funds?

I mentioned to Paul Rictner on NY board but know Brooke is on that plus another father of sci. These 3 know doubt want this trial as bad as anyone and imo would do all they could to get as much as possible to it. They will be or maybe have a fresh 8 million.

I'm not sure what NJ pulls in but go where the money is and NJ and NY SCI can and should voice to these boards fund this clinical trial.

Then if Mass and Maryland could some how colaberate your talking money.

Stimulus money? scalpule ready

PS, The money raised by donations could be used by the PI as match for or enhancment to getting an N.I.H. grant

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Leo,

It will be up to the individual centers to raise funds from local state and other sources, as well as donors, of course. We will be applying to the NJ Commission.

It is important to point out the difference in costs for grants and clinical trials. As pointed out below, we will need about $3 million per center studying 30 subjects (i.e. 10 subjects in each of three treatment group). The total budget of the New Jersey Spinal Cord Commission is about $3 million. So, while the state funds may be able to help with some of the costs, the bulk of the funds must be raised from private donations and industry sponsorship.

We are using umbilical cord blood cells from Stemcyte who will be donating the cells and processing. Note that each unit of cord blood is about $22,000. The processing and shipping costs may be as much as $12,000. We will be using over 220 units in the United States. Thus, just the treatment alone is likely to cost about $7.5 million.

Wise.

Wise.

Dr. Wise,

Generally in any kind of clinical trial, most of clinics pay the subjects for participating in their trials. I believe most of the SCIs would offer their body for free, (i.e.) if true, would that reduce the cost of this trial?

Luigi.
    every time you fall,
    stand up tall....
    come back for more

Quote Originally Posted by luigi91377 View Post
    Dr. Wise,

Generally in any kind of clinical trial, most of clinics pay the subjects for participating in their trials. I believe most of the SCIs would offer their body for free, (i.e.) if true, would that reduce the cost of this trial?

Luigi.
    Luigi, the trial must pay for the cost of the treatment and rehabilitation. That is what is costing $100,000 per subject (perhaps more). We are not planning to pay subjects to participate. Even if we did, this is usually a minor part of the costs of the trial.

Wise.

Here is a picture of the group of rehab doctors that met at Kunming (the five neurosurgeons were in the operating room watching the intradural decompression and cell transplant).

Wise.
    Hah, you should not have let Tansey stand on that step, he looks like a giant. He's not that big...
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Dr. Young,

Has TIRR-the model SCI center for our region-expressed interest in becoming involved?

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    Dr. Young,

Has TIRR-the model SCI center for our region-expressed interest in becoming involved?
    I tried to invite Bill Donovan from TIRR to attend the Austin meeting. I also invited Dr. Bob Grossman, the Houston neurosurgeon who is the principal investigator the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation sponsored NACTN (North American Clinical Trial Network) to attend our meeting. Unfortunately, neither could come because of the short notice. I will continue to try to involve them.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Hah, you should not have let Tansey stand on that step, he looks like a giant. He's not that big...
    He is strong. He actually lifted me up like a baby during one of the drinking sessions at dinner that night. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures because I was the one being hoisted...

wise.

Dr. Young
    Thank you for all you do. I will be donating and e-mailing friends and family a couple of the post as well as the Keck Center website, encouraging them to donate.

I'm very interested in the locomotor training. I recently qualified because I am a C4 Asia C. I'm presently on 15 mg of baclofen orally and in the process of weaning off baclofen pump (presently 130 mcg). I go through the final screening at the end of the month and part of that is to check my tone. I'm concerned because I very much want to get into this program but worry about the tone issue. How much tone would disqualify me and why? I'll be more than willing to deal with any amount of tone to participate.

Mike
    Mike P.

He is strong. He actually lifted me up like a baby during one of the drinking sessions at dinner that night. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures because I was the one being hoisted...

wise.
    You're right, he gives good bear hugs.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Might this be the picture you speak of?