Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flap Surgery!!!!

Flap Surgery!!!!

Hi everyone its been awhile since I posted something.I have been down and out.I had flap surgery and everything went good.I'm 6 weeks in a at home Clinton bed and to recap on this the wound is more on the front bottom of my butt.The right side of the wound will not seal i had it restitched twice.I believe its because of the spot every time I move to roll over or sit up or move my leg it just shifts my area. Any ideas of what i can do i have suffered for 2 years and know 6 weeks in bed i don't see a end it just seems like i can't catch a brake with this.I was wondering if anyone ever had this problem with one side not healing can I use skin glue on it i cant lay anymore I'm going to go insane and my kids and my poor husband this is ruing my life please HELP!!!!!!

You should not have been allowed to bend or flex your hip or knee at all (and definitely not sitting, even on a Clinitron) for at least 6 weeks post op, and only if everything went perfectly would you then start a very gradual sitting program at 6 weeks post op. If your flap has broken down, you may need to use a VAC to prepare it for a flap revision surgery. It is unlikely that just sewing the edges of the flap back together will be successful at this time.

If you have a flap revision, you must be sure you are turned by others to avoid any hip or knee flexion, keep your spasticity strongly controlled with meds, and not sit at all for another 6 weeks minimum, as well as use the Clinitron bed for at least 5-6 weeks.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You should not have been allowed to bend or flex your hip or knee at all (and definitely not sitting, even on a Clinitron) for at least 6 weeks post op, and only if everything went perfectly would you then start a very gradual sitting program at 6 weeks post op. If your flap has broken down, you may need to use a VAC to prepare it for a flap revision surgery. It is unlikely that just sewing the edges of the flap back together will be successful at this time.

If you have a flap revision, you must be sure you are turned by others to avoid any hip or knee flexion, keep your spasticity strongly controlled with meds, and not sit at all for another 6 weeks minimum, as well as use the Clinitron bed for at least 5-6 weeks.

(KLD)
    KLD,I know many people that have had successful surgery and they were up 2 weeks after surgery. many people on this board report the same yet you continue to give out this info. I know 3 plastic surgeons who disagree with you. The Association for Plastic surgeon's guidlines indicate that people don't need to spend 6 weeks immobilized.
    Please don't take this as a personal attack as my surgeon and GP are so tired of me telling them what you suggest re treatment and care of SCIs.I think you give excellent advice but based on Drs opinions and the numerous guys I know who have had flaps yet were up rolling after 6 weeks,I have to question what Dr says your way is best. It didn't work for Joseph's son or Obie's husband. Susan,M,Capn Gimp,had wounds sugically closed w/o following your protocol.
    Once again,plastic surgeons have done studies that indicate there is no statistical difference in flap failures for those immobilized for 2 weeks as those immobilized longer. As a surgeon told me,you have to account for depth and severity of wound but he sats 2 weeks down is enough then you sit up a few hrs each day. Please give me the name of your plastic surgeon at your hospital.

My flap and muscle transplant are fine and doctor says with respect to the muscle it's perfect and the skin bleeds like stink if he cuts into it.(The 2 times he had to re suture it) If the sutures on the one side would catch I would be ready for a sitting program. Was actually wondering is anyone ever used surgical glue to mend skin in a difficult shear area? Doctor says he has done hundreds of them and he is not concerned just need to lay still and it should adhere. He is cutting fresh edges before he sutures. I asked him about the glue and his answer was it's overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by dianedank View Post
    I second that.
    How big is your wound? Maybe KLD can explain what a flap revision is and why you need one.
    Just curious,how long did your Dr make you stay flat and immobile in Clinitron before you were able to turn,sit up etc.?

Diane will be keeping you in my prayers! I feel so bad for you, and anyone who has to go through one of these things!

It was about the size of a baseball inside and about 1" wide by 3" on the outside before flap.
    I would guess he wanted me to stay immobile as as long as possible but if you have ever had to lay in one place for months at a time you know that it's almost impossible with bathroom duties and just plain uncomfortableness. I'm not Sure what the technical term is for the type of flap procedure he used on me but I'm Sure its not the same as your common Isial flap surgery. He basically cut me down the inside of my left leg and disconnected two muscles at my knee. then cut a teardrop shaped skip flap with the muscle and underlying tissue together and pull all this back under my skin toward my groin area and pull the whole thing back out and through the wound opening after wrapping the extra muscle around my isium and filling the hole. He then sewed it all together so what i was left with was a teardrop shaped incision in my groin and a 8" long incision on the inside of my leg and also a 2" incision next to my knee. He also had two drain bulbs in one at the knee and the other at the wound. The one by the knee was removed at about the 3 week mark and i still have the other one. So no one tried glue??????????????

Quote Originally Posted by dianedank View Post
    It was about the size of a baseball inside and about 1" wide by 3" on the outside before flap.
    I would guess he wanted me to stay immobile as as long as possible but if you have ever had to lay in one place for months at a time you know that it's almost impossible with bathroom duties and just plain uncomfortableness. I'm not Sure what the technical term is for the type of flap procedure he used on me but I'm Sure its not the same as your common Isial flap surgery. He basically cut me down the inside of my left leg and disconnected two muscles at my knee. then cut a teardrop shaped skip flap with the muscle and underlying tissue together and pull all this back under my skin toward my groin area and pull the whole thing back out and through the wound opening after wrapping the extra muscle around my isium and filling the hole. He then sewed it all together so what i was left with was a teardrop shaped incision in my groin and a 8" long incision on the inside of my leg and also a 2" incision next to my knee. He also had two drain bulbs in one at the knee and the other at the wound. The one by the knee was removed at about the 3 week mark and i still have the other one. So no one tried glue??????????????

How big is your current wound? How long were you immobilized in the hospital? Your Dr had to give you some instructions. Do you have home health? After he sews you up,how long do you stay immobile? It may just more time to heal. Have you gotten a second opinion?

Hey Sweetie. Woah I can't believe the run of bad luck you're having. Hope things heal up for you soon.
    "The impossible is just that which hasn't been done yet.Impossible is nothing"