Thread: SSI - SSDI??? So confusing, any advice?

SSI - SSDI??? So confusing, any advice?

My son just turned 18, graduating HS next month and we are in Texas. What benefits should he be eligible for? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithful1990 View Post
    My son just turned 18, graduating HS next month and we are in Texas. What benefits should he be eligible for? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I think SSI , SSDI is for those who worked & payed into SS .

Make an appointment with your local Social security office. They will be able to tell you. Then start calling around to your county senior and disabled services offices and find out what is available to him on the local level. State services may also be provided. But if he has not payed in to the SS system for many years, it won't be much I can tell you that. Most people on SSI only get a little more than 600 dollars per month. If he wants to live on his own, HUD has long waiting lists, so he better get on the lists now. Truthfully there isnt much help out there for people who have been injured at an early age. Better to get him into a work program of some kind through voc rehab.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Consider contacting DVR [Division of Vocational Rehabilitation] to see if they will help with college tuition or job training.

Does he drive? If not, find a driver's training program for him that will also recommend appropriate vehicle modifications. Driving is freedom!

He needs to stay active.

Here is a good place to do some reading before you have his Social Security appointment:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10026.html

Is he currently on Medicaid or is he covered by your health insurance plan? If he goes to college, most private insurance plans allow him to be covered until at least age 21, sometimes longer if still a full-time student.

(KLD)

If he is 18,he needs to apply for SSI in his own name as some of your income will be excluded when assessing his financial status. As mentioned earlier,contact Vocational Rehabilitation re: job training and driver assessment. The ability to drive is the key to independence. What is your son's disability?

Thanks. The docs on the gov website are so difficult to understand. I consider myself fairly educated, but there as so many loop holes. I'll call the local SS office.

We have private health insurance and he'll be covered as an adult disabled child as long as he lives with us (we've all ready provided the documentation needed). OR if he moves out, it will be till age 22 IF he's a full-time student. The problem we're having is United Health Care isn't wanting to pay for some stuff he needs.

He just developed 2 stage II pressure sores and has been in bed, the doctor wants him to have a standing frame so that he can get out of bed and not develop more sores on his hips, but we've been told UHC won't pay for it.

There is a state program DARS that will reimburse or pay for some things and he's on their list. Unfortunately, they run out of money just a couple of months after they get their funding in Sept. He's on the list. There is another state program that will pay for his truck mods, but he can't be on two lists at once, so we paid out of pocket for his modifications. He's not driving yet, because he has to be re-tested. We were going to do that this week, but he's got the pressure sores and has to stay off his bum.
    FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithful1990 View Post
    He just developed 2 stage II pressure sores and has been in bed, the doctor wants him to have a standing frame so that he can get out of bed and not develop more sores on his hips, but we've been told UHC won't pay for it.
    I could not get my state to pay for a standing frame. What's funny is that the whole denial process cost a lot more than the standing frame itself.

Check out this link: http://www.easystand.com/funding/index.cfm
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER
    In short SSI is VERY stringent because the money comes out of the general fund. SSDI is Disability Insurance where beneficiaries receive money that has already been paid into FICA.

If you have other questions please feel free to PM me.

Call your local Independent Living Center

http://www.ilru.org/html/publication...ory/index.html
    Dave H