Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I got my ZRA today...

So I got my ZRA today...

and there are goods and bads to it...no uglies luckily.

Good:
    It fits me great in width and length, much smaller than my current wc. I like that I'm almost 2" lower to the ground.

I love the ABS footplate, I had a tubular before and my feet fell off a lot.

Again I really love the measurements. It's 15x17 and the footplate tapers to 9". I only worry about a shorter seat depth when I do shower transfers etc bc I use a board and am missing an inch or two of seat to lay it on now.

Bad:
    1.5 softrolls don't roll as well as 1" I feel more resistance when turning.

I'm not crazy about the Schwalbe Marathon Plus, they are rough on my hands and I cannot tell if they are causing more resistance when pushing too. My black KIK solid tires have different treading and don't tear up your hands.

I don't care for the Natural Fit LT handrims. I have the original Natural Fit on my current wc and though they may be a tad heavier they have a glossy finish that your hands just slide over. The new LT have a more satin finish and I don't like the way they feel in my hands. They almost feel like they have a film to them and in my head feel like they are dirty. I prefer the glossy/slick finish. The LT are rough on my hands compared to the glossy which is a big deal bc I have sensitive skin on my fingers that is easily irritated.

My back canes are too low. Where they are high enough for my backrest I don't have that extra 2.5-3" of cane above the mounting hardware that my current wheelchair has. No biggie, right...wrong. I depend on that few inches to kinda wrap my upper arm around while going down something steep so I don't fall forward due to lack of adequate abs.

Backrest. I got a custom 15" ADI back. The DME talked me into adjustable and on the back it has these brackets that stick out. I thought non angle adjustable would be fine because bc it still has some adjustability. I thought my current Jetstream Pro back was adjustable bc we have adjusted angle and height but it doesn't have the ugly brackets sticking out.

----------------
    Thankfully the main measurements are good and things I dislike can for the most part be swapped out I hope without it coming out of my pocket. I kinda want to get regular 1" softrolls but that requires the 1" fork too. I rather have the black KIKs as long as my hillholders will still work with them. I want higher backcanes to loop my upper arm around. I'm scared to come out of my minivan because I almost flop forward.

I haven't used the wc outdoors so hopefully the DME and Tilite will be understanding and good to me.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

I do not think you need a 1 inch fork to get the 1 inch soft rolls. You should be able to put spacers in there to take up the extra distance.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Glad ya "mostly" like it, should be pretty easy to get re-fitted.

Sportaid has 1.5" hard roll casters, another possibility.

Look at where your back canes are bolted in, there may be enough upward adjustment for a quick fix w/o needing exchange.

DME should swap out backrest if you want, that came from them not Ti.

Would think Ti would swap out the LT's.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Congratulations!

The fit is the most important thing - the rest you can tweak.

Post some pics when you get the time.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Yes post pics. It may help me in my decision.... Glad it fits you for the most part.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

i have frogs legs forks and have had both 1" and 1.5" casters in there, with no difference in the spacers. the wider casters have the hubs dished in a little, so they take up the same amount of space on the axles. so it should be just a direct swap to change to 1" casters, with no different hardware needed

Glad your chair arrived. Bummer it isn't perfect. I'm anticipating the same with mine but hopefully not.

The front casters wouldn't be tightened too much causing the resistance, would they be?

Do you know the exact date your chair was ordered? It's been about 24 days since my order went in.

Ah I was wondering when your wc was coming in November, did you put your specs up before if ya did I missed it. Please post pics, am glad ya like your chair and no major dislikes.

wheeliecoach and amy I think you're right. I just measured both my Kuschall and ZRA forks and both are 1.5" regardless of caster wheel size. How do I know if my Kuschall are soft or hard roll? Can I take my Kuschall caster wheel out and just try it out in my ZRA to see if there is a difference in pushing/turning?

McDuff I believe my backcanes have about 1/2" more they can be adjusted up. I wanted the DME to try it but she did want me to try things out first not change everything at once. Plus idk how much difference that will make. We will definately try though!

Tilite also said they don't make the glossy finish Natural Fits anymore. I'm going to call the company themselves and see. I hate when people change things that worked for you for several yrs. I have had these older ones about 4 yrs though. If nothing else I'll swap them out...they should work bc they both are on a 24"wheel.

I think I want to go back to the JSP back. ADI is supposed to be the exact same but there are definate differences between the two.

NQ I'll check to see if the casters are too tight. The ZRA just doesn't swivel as well as the Kuschall and idk if it's the casters, back wheels, or both. My wc took a little over a mnth to be built btw.

Thanx everyone, I'll get pics when I can..my cam isn't compatible w/ Vista so I rely on other people's cam for now.

Oh I don't like Tilites push to lock brakes. They are either too hard and tight to push/pull or too loose. I love my Kuschall brakes but they aren't compatible with hillholders.

wtf...i'll post specs later

i'm out the door....sorry for any typos..thanx everyone who posted. btw i wish i had a dme at home or handyman...i can't do any of these adjustments myself so i'm still sitting in my old wc.

oh i can't pop wheelies either. need cog changed. do you move the axle forward or back to make a wc more tippy?
    Last edited by november; 04-23-2009 at 04:53 PM.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    oh i can't pop wheelies either. need cog changed. do you move the axle forward or back to make a wc more tippy?
    move forward.