Thread: Putting Paralysis On the Map

Putting Paralysis On the Map

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...paralysis.html

Roughly one in 50 Americans has some degree of paralysis, and five times more people than doctors thought are living with a spinal-cord injury - nearly 1.3 million - says a startling study released Tuesday.
    It's a largely hidden population that neither the government nor medical organizations had ever attempted to fully count, and the findings promise to help health authorities understand the scope of need.
    "Paralysis is not rare," said Dr. Edwin Trevathan, disabilities chief at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which helped design the study. "These data demand that we recommit ... to help this population."
    "Those are startling, startling numbers," said Rep. Jim Langevin, D-R.I., who has a spinal-cord injury himself and urged more investment in not just medical research but transportation, job opportunities and other day-to-day needs of the paralyzed.
    The report found that overall, almost 5.6 million people have some degree of paralysis due to a variety of neurologic problems. Stroke and spinal-cord injury are the leading causes, but they also include multiple sclerosis, brain injuries, birth defects, surgical complications and a list of other ailments.

I don't doubt it Cass. When you start talking to strangers nearly everyone comes up with a problem in theiir spine or back in general. Nearly everyone I talk to does.Come to find out my boyfriend I was dating worked in construction several years back & a metal beam fell & laided on his head and broke his neck. He went through alot I went thru but 99% returned.

I'm not surprised either, Cass. Wait till all the baby boomers start getting spinal stenosis!

Putting Paralysis On the Map

The Reeve Foundation just posted a new application that lets people living with paralysis, friends and family, scientists, caregivers, and other concerned people put a pin in the map of the world and be counted.

It's your chance to let people know just how big the paralysis community is. Have a look:
    http://campaigntocureparalysis.org/

Cool, will do! Thanks Joe welcome to CC!

Done deal - thanks for posting this.

More people live with paralysis: Study

More people live with paralysis: Study
    www.chinaview.cn 2009-04-22 15:46:53 Print

BEIJING, April 22 (Xinhuanet) -- A new study shows 40 percent more Americans live with paralysis and five times more people are living with a spinal-cord injury.

The survey released Tuesday, involving over 33,000 households, showed that 1.275 million people have had a spinal cord injury and over 5.6 million Americans live with some form of paralysis. The highest previous estimates were 250,000 and roughly four million, respectively.
    The study was initiated by the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation and conducted by the University of New Mexico's Center for Development and Disability. More than 30 experts from 14 leading universities and medical centers and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention set the parameters for the survey. The development of the survey, acquisition and analysis of the data took over three years.
    "Paralysis is not rare," said Dr. Edwin Trevathan, disabilities chief at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which helped design the study. The data shows that one in 50 Americans is living with some form of paralysis, whether caused by disease, spinal cord injury or neurological damage," said Peter T. Wilderotter, President and CEO of the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation. He said: "these data demand that we recommit ... to help this population." The study paints a sobering picture of the cycle of paralysis and poverty. Sixty percent of people with paralysis have annual household incomes of less than $25,000. Worse, about a quarter report household incomes below $10,000, compared with 7 percent of the U.S. population, the study found.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...t_11232511.htm

wow, ty mod for changing my title..it's much better! and i know other threads were on other forums with same news. the more who read it, the better!