Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi all im new to all of this

At night when you cant sleep,play some online poker for fun,keeps the head busy

Emie,
    Ask away here. This is the best resource out there that I have found. You are early in your recovery. Don't let the "complete, incomplete" label decide for you what you can do. Just keep working hard. There are others on here that are still in high school. Hopefully they will chime in.

Hi Emie,welcome to the site!Everyone is right,it's too soon to know if your complete or not.You've just got to keep pushing forward whether you regain or not,but it's a good idea to make recovery your goal for now.
    Anyways,I'm older than you but if you ever want a personal girl chat we can do so on yahoo messenger.The flashchat here is a good idea too.

Hi Emie14, welcome to the site, you'll find tons of information here. I'm pretty new here too. My son is a senior in HS, he shattered his T12 on a trampoline 11/22/08, he's 5 months post. We're still learning and overcoming. Be strong and try to have a positive attitude.
    FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

Hi Emie, My son who is now 19, fractured his C5 at Newport Beach while playing in the waves. It was his senior year in high school. He was back at school 7 weeks after his accident and started Project Walk 8 weeks after his injury. He has recovered so much by working hard. He now drives and doing great. He graduated, went to prom with his girlfriend and leads an active life. We both believe he'll walk again...he is really working hard at it. Are you in Southern CA? Good luck and don't worry about the complete thing...it's bunk. My son was "complete" and now has tons of function below his injury level.

Banned
    Im in Nor California but that is great I hope my story sounds like that in a few years right now im not getting much back but there hasent been much time im still praying
    SOFTBALL was my life RECOVERY is now

Hey Emie, I just sent you a private message...I guess you have to check your inbox somewhere on this site. Sent you my e-mail so I could give you some more info. Hope to talk with you soon.
    T Goodwin

Smile hi

for me i find myself bore many times, welcome here and what gets me by is the LORD, praying and just figuring life in this planet and the loving inspiring scripture that i read gets me by everyday, gives me reason for living and security in believing. takecare!
    Sincere Sammy
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

Banned
    Thanks to everyone this site has been amazing so now for my next question what kinds of this do we need to do to our house before I get home I'm in a power chair right now so what are the changes that as most important and helfull to everyone else thanks again
    SOFTBALL was my life RECOVERY is now

Hi Emi (what a sweet name BTW). I am an OT and your OT should either go to your home for a home evaluation or if they don't offer that, then have a family member take pictures of your home: entry (all of them), doorways (pretty much all that you will need to pass through, Bathroom -many different angles to make sure you can move and fit your chair and possibly other equipment such as a shower chair, commode chair, or a combo device called a rolling shower commode chair. All these take a lot of space. If you need a lift for transfer well the bathroom has gotten quite small - so this is literally the most importatn room to document to figure out how you are going to bathe, poop and pee and get in/out of your chair. If you have hallways take pictures- depending upon the type of chair you use turning into a room from a hallway can be difficult - which then alters how you set up the rooms your going into. Pictures of your kitchen, living area, where you study, yard and access to the sidewalk are all important to document for the OT. Then they will be able to assist with making recommnedations for your family in order to bring you home.

I have to say though that I often have my patients hold off on major remodels for a couple of months because there is a HUGE likelihood that you will change functional abilities and some of the intended equipment may become overkill. I've even known patients who ordered their power wheelchair, only to go home and let it collect dust cause they were clearly able to use a manual wheelchair.

So my overall recommendation is to be prepared but don't do a remodel overkill. You will improve functionally- work hard and it will happen.

Okay so when your bored a good exercise is to take your pillow and flip it over and over in your hands- it is surprisingly tough and a great workout- maybe 10-15 minutes twice-three times a day. Work on picking up items from your bedside table (TOUGH). Ask your OT to assess need for wrist splinting so that if your wrists cannot extend then spliniting can help to get your hands functional, and then asked to be trained in self feeding, putting your makeup on, brushing your teeth and hair, handwriting etc.

And then for the next hour........ just kidding. You sound like a determined young person who needs some direction from the professionals, and ask them.

Lastly, if they could find you a peer mentor that is someone who has gone through what you have gone through and maybe a similar age, then maybe you two can hang out and just talk about what you are feeling, what to look forward to, and their experience and resources. That is the best medicine!

If you have more questions feel free to PM me. I wish you the best, it will get better! And with your attitude that is a promise!
    Take Care, Pam OTR/L