Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi all im new to all of this

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Hi all im new to all of this

Hi my name is emily from califorina I was paralyzed in a softball accident march 7 and this is all so new to me and I would love to talk to as many people as I can. Im a c7 they say I can straighten my arms and have good use of my sholders and biceps but my wrist, hands, and fingers are lacking. Im also a compleat so I dont know if I will really improve any so anyone that wants to talk plz do I need all I can get I have so many questions.

Emily

Banned
    Yes at shriners childrens hospital its so hard but im working hard
    SOFTBALL was my life RECOVERY is now

Hey Emily,

I'm C6/7 complete, injured a year and a half ago. You've come to the right place for support and answers. Ask away or PM me

-Nicky

Banned
    I just dont know what to do with my self my life use to be sports but I cant really do that anymore im only a freshman in high school and now im in a wheelchair for the rest of my life im just lost.

Welcome to CC work hard at rehab. Things get better life go's on you will make it. Just hang in there.

Banned
    I'm trying it's just so hard to deal with it's slot for a 14 year old

Quote Originally Posted by emie14 View Post
    I just dont know what to do with my self my life use to be sports but I cant really do that anymore im only a freshman in high school and now im in a wheelchair for the rest of my life im just lost.
    Hang in there Emie. I am a c6/c7 complete and I was 43 when I was injured. I felt like I had nothing left when I was first injured but things get better and I am very glad that I have been around and experienced the good things that have happened after my injury. You are so young that I have no doubt that you will be walking again due to stem cell therapy and still have most of your life ahead of you. You also may want to look into getting a service dog. I have had one and she has been my best friend for the past ten years and has bailed me out of some tough situations.
    Hand in there!
    Last edited by Hawkster; 05-02-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Hi Emie,
    I use to play softball in high school too. It was my biggest sport. I am C5/6 since I was 17, so I know how much it sucks to be that young and think of all the things you don't think you will be able to do again. Hang in there though because sometimes it is a big surprise how much you will be able to do! I have done things since my injury that at one time I never thought would happen, honest.

Emie,
    Are you at Shriners in LA or Sacramento? Shriners is a great hospital for kids (and teens ) with orthopedic problems, hopefully they are treating you good and helping you with your recovery!
    I know its hard to think about right now since your injury was so recent, but people in wheelchairs are still able to live normal lives and be happy! We can still play sports (such as wheelchair basketball, tennis, quad rugby (full contact!), go surfing, etc......), drive cars, go to college (and living in the dorms isn't out of the question), and much much much more!
    Feel free to ask any questions you want, vent when you need to, and learn lots about SCI.
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!