Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my brother just had a severe spinal cord injury!

my brother just had a severe spinal cord injury!

My brother has had a severe spinal cord injury on the 5th of April 2009. HE IS ONLY 33!!! I would like to know whether there are any existing operations and names of doctors around the world that could probably help and give extra information. What about applications in the US and china?

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=104011

In addition, there are a number of clinical trials beginning in the US this fall with stem cells and lithium which you should watch for. Dr. Wise Young is in charge and is an administrator on this forum. He posts highly regarded and respected info and results of research on a regular basis.

Christina, at this stage it is important that he is hospitalized at a center that specializes in spinal cord injury. Where is he?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaK View Post
    My brother has had a severe spinal cord injury on the 5th of April 2009. HE IS ONLY 33!!! I would like to know whether there are any existing operations and names of doctors around the world that could probably help and give extra information. What about applications in the US and china?
    ChristinaK,

I moved your post to the New SCI Forum because more people may see and respond to it here. In addition, you will see a number of resources that are posted in this forum for people and families with new spinal cord injuries.

The first priority in spinal cord injury care is making sure that his breathing, heart, and other systems are functioning and stable. As soon as those are confirmed, a steroid drug called methylprednisolone should be given (but only if the drug can be started within 8 hours after injury). While there is some controversy about the efficacy of the drug, several rigorous clinical trials suggest that the treatment will improve motor and sensory recovery by about 20%. Then the spinal cord should be stabilized and decompressed.

Much of course depends on the level of injury, whether he has any preserved function below the injury level (particularly sensation or voluntary anal sphincter contraction) in the anal region. If he does have anal function, this means that he is "incomplete" and is very likely to recover substantially. If he does not have anal sensation and voluntary anal sphincter contractions, this suggests that he has an ASIA (American Spinal Injury Association) A classification. A relatively small proportion, probably 5-20% of people recover significant function. However, even after a severe spinal cord injury, most people will recover at least 1 or 2 segmental levels.

Recovery from spinal cord injury is slow. Most of it occurs during the first year but it often continues for 5-6 years or more. Many people continue to recover significant function over a period of 10 or more years. Getting to a good rehabilitation center is important because not only will your brother learn how to take care of himself but many rehabilitation centers are now focused on restoring as much function as possible possible about spinal cord injury.

There are currently few or no clinical trials going on for treatments of the subacute period (i.e. 2-60 days after injury) in the United States. There are one chronic trial (which I am organizing), testing umbilical cord blood and lithium therapies.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 04-09-2009 at 05:02 PM.

The forum is here to support you and your brother and feel free to ask any questions.

CWO

christinak- your brother is smart, and at this point he must know and realize that now is the chance for recovery. After 6 months or so, that's pretty much it! Don't be hoodwinked by these " cure " charlatans.

Quote Originally Posted by cdurfee99 View Post
    christinak- your brother is smart, and at this point he must know and realize that now is the chance for recovery. After 6 months or so, that's pretty much it! Don't be hoodwinked by these " cure " charlatans.
    Please keep in mind the cdurfee99 speaks only (negatively) for himself. He does not reflect the philosophy of these forums, or the reality of what we know from both practice and research. Some return can occur, and often does, up to 2-3 years post injury. Remember that Christopher Reeve got some finger movement back 10 years post injury. Don't give up, and don't let negative thinkers take away hope.

(KLD)

scinurse-
    the REALITY is if you are paralyzed after a year, let's say, the story is set in stone!! The realty of practice and research tells us that chronic sci is waaaay to complicated to even grasp, let alone to try to ( gasp ) reverse. There is a 1000% more liklihood that a time machine will be built, which can transport one with a sci to their pre-sci days of happiness for at least a few hours. I am not trying to be overtly negative, this is the way I feel, and as of now, this is the way it is and always will be.

I said return, not cure, and you are wrong. You have your own experience, and your own attitude about this, but that is not universal, and I have seen many people get return long after 3-6 months. The OP's brother was injured only 2 weeks ago...it is WAY too early to say that he should give up hope (and I am sorry that you have no hope in your life...it is very sad!).

I continue to believe that someday we will have a cure for SCI..both acute and chronic. Sorry if you don't.

Please post in a separate thread for now. You have hijacked this one too much already. Since you have chosen to turn off both PMs and private e-mails in your profile, I am unable to ask you do this this privately.

(KLD)

i really appreciate your time and effort helping out, and responding to everyone! You are better than 99% of the medical community, for your effort and caring, but I bet you every cent I have that you will walk into old age, whereas sorry souls like me will die horribly, miserable, hopeless, and in pain!