Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New forum needed!

New forum needed!

Would it be possible to start a forum on Accessible home design / modifications?

I am designing a new house and I would really benefit from seeing pictures and information. I have searched the "archives" and found lots of info but some/most of the links don't work

It would be a lot more beneficial/useful than a politics forum

Just a thought.....
    Inc C4 since Oct 07

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" - Optimus Prime

Big Tuna,
    Tigger74 (Brad) is a draftsman and designs home specifically designed to accomidate the home owners needs. As a matter of fact he is a C-7 and we just built a home last year and instead of an elevator for him to get to our basement, he designed a ramp. It is very benefical and a whole lot cheaper than an elevator. He designed his shower to be the right size for him to manuver around in, in his shower/wheelchair. He also made sure the doors to all the rooms were wide enough for him to fit through with his wheelchair. I'll send you some pictures. If you need more information I'm sure he would love to help you out. With the housing market being kind of rocky right now, he does not have a whole lot going on as of right now, you should get in contact with him and he can help you to deisgn your dream home. He is a wealth of information on housing and the ins and out of being paralized and the needs of a paralized individual when it comes to their needs as a home owner/builder.

Kelly

Oh, and here is his most favorite part of the house, is his table that is perfect of him to pull right up to. It wasn't until we built our house that Brad ever got to sit at a kitchen table with everyone

Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tuna View Post
    Would it be possible to start a forum on Accessible home design / modifications?

I am designing a new house and I would really benefit from seeing pictures and information. I have searched the "archives" and found lots of info but some/most of the links don't work

It would be a lot more beneficial/useful than a politics forum

Just a thought.....
    It is a good idea. I like the idea because we currently have no place where such a discussion would comfortably fit. However, I would like to see more interest expressed in such a forum by a dozen or more members before starting a new forum.

Wise.

Blog Entries
    I would find this very helpful!

i agree

ditto!

Plus, I believe that there are several members who are currently working or have worked in the industry who might be considered for serving as moderators.

You could also include accessible vacation rentals, motels, camps that people have stayed in with pictures and contact information. The pictures would be the key since what an AB person considers accessible is not necessarily consider accessible by many of us.

I really like the idea of an accessible housing/accommodation section. Although I live with my parents right now, I will more than likely be required to build my own house when I move out in a couple years to accommodate all my needs. Even within the house I live in now we could use some renovation to make it more "accessible" including changing out handrails on stairs, adding handrails to stairs that don't have rails, wider door frames and walkways, moving things in the kitchen (i.e. not have the dishwasher just to the side of the sink so the person loading has to lean all the way OVER the dishwasher to get dishes out of the sink) etc.
    Even if someone is not building a home it is helpful to get ideas for the future or ideas on how to make their current home more accessible.
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

I would be interested in such a forum, although our house is probably as modified as it's going to get (which isn't really enough).
    - Richard

I am very interested.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.