Thread: C6/C7 Complete Injury – Can slightly move but not feel big toe

C6/C7 Complete Injury – Can slightly move but not feel big toe

My 70 year old father was in a ski accident 8 weeks ago tomorrow and suffered a C6/C7 complete injury. He has extremely limited hand/finger motion and no feeling below his chest. His left side is stronger than his right, and when concentrating very hard, he is able slightly move two toes on his left foot, however, he cannot feel the movement or any sensation. Our family is encouraged by the movement, but we can’t find anything on this topic. Any comments would be appreciated

By the way, these forums have been an invaluable resource for our family, so a big thank you to everyone who has posted their experiences and advice!

I was 40, c5-6 incomplete, could move 1 toe after surgery, had no finger function. I now walk, badly, and have 80% or so finger function on my "good" side. The side on which I could move the toe is MUCH stronger now. This is called Brown-Sequard Syndrome. One side is stronger physically, the other side has better sensation. It's kind of like a stroke, in that one side is paralyzed.

His age won't help, but whatever it was that had him skiing at 70 will. I would doubt that complete diagnosis. How soon after his injury was that diagnosis made? Tell him to prepare to work his ass off, is the advice of one that has been there.

Where is he? Is he a US military veteran by any chance?

Does he have any sensation right at his anus?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Where is he? Is he a US military veteran by any chance?

Does he have any sensation right at his anus?

(KLD)
    Hi. He was in the reserves and does not think he is considered a US Military Veteran. Do you know where we can find this out for sure?

He has had no sensation in his anus since his injury -- he was given an ASIA A Complete diagnosis 4 days after injury & the classification hasn't changed.

He is in an acute hospital rehabilitation center in Los Angeles. We investigated the closest Model centers (Washington or Colorado), but he was not fit to travel by plane because of health issues resulting from the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I was 40, c5-6 incomplete, could move 1 toe after surgery, had no finger function. I now walk, badly, and have 80% or so finger function on my "good" side. The side on which I could move the toe is MUCH stronger now. This is called Brown-Sequard Syndrome. One side is stronger physically, the other side has better sensation. It's kind of like a stroke, in that one side is paralyzed.

His age won't help, but whatever it was that had him skiing at 70 will. I would doubt that complete diagnosis. How soon after his injury was that diagnosis made? Tell him to prepare to work his ass off, is the advice of one that has been there.
    Bethany, congrats to you for working so hard & seeing great results. The complete diagnosis is what has us questioning the toe movement, but he has not had any sacral feeling since the accident, which is why he is classified as ASIA A Complete. He was tested originally 4 days after the injury, and twice since then, with no change in sacral sensation.

We're probably not saying anything that he doesn't know, but a positive attitude is the best medicine!

As a C6/7, hurt in the Spring, I made turns the next season. (thanks to the adaptive program) Huge fun! I bet he can do it too!

Pat

www.gofreewheel.com

Did he serve any active duty time while in the reserves? If he was called up at all, and served a minimum of 3 months, he may be eligible for VA care. Try posting on our Veteran's forum. Vet Advisor will know the answer.

So is he at Rancho? Casa Colina? Northridge? Long Beach Memorial? Loma Linda Univ?

Is he getting pool therapy?

How soon will he be discharged? Does he have insurance that will cover outpatient therapy? A plan for going home with help?

(KLD)

I've been doing Outpatient Therapy at Casa Colina Centers for Rehabilitation in Pomona (LA County). I really like their resources. IDK which of SCI Nurses list is considered best in So. Cal, but I know that Casa Colina is wonderful.
    Good luck to your father in his recovery. If he was skiing at age 70 I'm sure he's got the fight left in him to take on this new hurdle.
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!