Thread: Today marks the 10th anniversary of the Columbine shootings

Today marks the 10th anniversary of the Columbine shootings

LITTLETON -- Hundreds of people attended a candlelight vigil for the 13 people killed at Columbine High School on the eve o the 10th anniversary of the massacre.Sunday night's observance and informal gathering was at the Columbine Memorial in Clement Park next to the school in Denver's southern suburbs, where a where a huge mound of flowers, toys, and other memorabilia grew in the days after the shootings.
    "It is a time for the community to come back together again as they did following the shootings 10 years ago," said organizer Kirsten Kreiling, president of the Columbine Memorial Foundation.
    Families of several of those killed also attended but didn't address the crowd.
    The high school will be closed on Monday, the anniversary of the attack, and a private service for families is planned that night at the memorial.
    Two Columbine students opened fire on the morning of April 20, 1999, killing 12 students and a teacher. About two dozen other people were injured before the gunmen killed themselves.
    A steady stream of visitors, mostly alone or in pairs, moved slowly around the memorial as the sun settled behind the RockyMountains Sunday. Once darkness fell, some of the 1,200 candles handed out by the foundation flickered in a light breeze.
    Wildflowers or florists' bouquets rested on each of the tablets bearing the victims' names.
    The event conflicted Shelly Jenkins, 25, who said she was in the cafeteria that day but escaped unhurt when she and other students were told to take cover by teacher Dave Sanders, who died in the shootings.
    Click here for the rest.

What a sad day that was for our country. It seems that every school shooting since has been compared to it. What I find weird as I haven't seen it mentioned on any news show or any comedy show yet.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

The Virginia Tech shootings were on April 16, 2007. 32 people killed and many wounded.

RIP
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I'm surprised more people haven't responded to this post. It was a really sad day in American history and seems to be forgotten now. I don't know, maybe there isn't a whole lot to say
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I'm surprised more people haven't responded to this post. It was a really sad day in American history and seems to be forgotten now. I don't know, maybe there isn't a whole lot to say
    I always remember it, Ry. Never a year goes by that April 20th isn't Columbine's anniversary to me. If I missed your thread, I apologize, but I didn't forget. The pain of Columbine hasn't caused the shootings to stop. Amazingly, hundreds of shootings have gone unreported nationally since Columbine (I think mostly due to the lack of massive killings, but still a sad fact regardless).

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I'm surprised more people haven't responded to this post. It was a really sad day in American history and seems to be forgotten now.
    It is etched in my memory like acid into metal.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com