Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord Injury Network USA (SCINetUSA)

I haven't been tracking research that closely the last several years so probably missed it. Does anyone have references to published papers on umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells (UCBMC) and lithium restoring function? I would love to get my hands on the published report, in .pdf if possible, it's so hard to get them from the password-protected journals.

Prof. Young,

your explanation is very motivating and many people will support you until the job will be done.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by ip View Post
    I haven't been tracking research that closely the last several years so probably missed it. Does anyone have references to published papers on umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells (UCBMC) and lithium restoring function? I would love to get my hands on the published report, in .pdf if possible, it's so hard to get them from the password-protected journals.
    JP,

If you read this page you will find some reference:

http://nascinet.org/

Paolo

Thank paolocipolla. I went to the site, and the below studies were listed. None of the studies show that a combination of umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells [UCBMC] and lithium restore function. It seems be a laundry list of umbilical cord [UCBMC] studies and a laundry list of lithium studies. Can anyone help me here?

#####################

Umbilical Cord Blood. Several independent laboratories have reported that human umbilical cord blood (UCB) cells are beneficial for spinal cord injury. In 2004, Saporta, et al.[1] gave the cells intravenously to rats after spinal cord injury but subsequent studies transplanted the cells directly to the spinal cord. Li, et al. [2] transplanted the CD34+ cells into hemisected rat spinal cord. In 2005, Kuh, et al. [3] transplanted UCB cells into contused spinal cords and found that the cells survived only 3-4 weeks without immunosuppression but combination of the transplants and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) improved walking recovery. In 2006, Nishio, et al. [4] confirmed that mononuclear cells transplanted to contused rat spinal cords survived 3-4 weeks, reduced tissue damage, and improved recovery. In 2007, Dasari, et al. [5] transplanted that UCB cells into contused rat spinal cords and found improved locomotor recovery and even remyelination.

Lithium. In 2004, Yick, et al. discovered that lithium chloride reinforces the regeneration-promoting effect of chondroitinase ABC on rubrospinal neurons in spinal cord injury. In 2006, Su, et al. [7] reported the lithium enhances proliferation and neuronal differentiation of neural progentior cells in adult spinal cords. In 2008, Dill, et al. [8] found that lithium induced corticospinal and serotonergic axonal sprouting and locomotor recovery in rats with transected thoracic spinal cords. Fornai, et al. [9] reported that lithium remarkably delayed progression of amytrophic lateral sclerosis symptoms in mice and humans. We found that lithium stimulates cord blood cells to proliferate and to produce neurotrophins that stimulate spinal cord regeneration, i.e. nerve growth factor (NGF), neurotrophin-3 (NT-3), and glia-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF).

Quote Originally Posted by ip View Post
    ip,

To my knowledge, no study showing beneficial effects of a combination of lithium and cord blood cells on chronic spinal cord injury has been published. There are studies showing that umbilical cord blood cells alone restore function, that lithium alone restores function, that lithium stimulates stem transplanted stem cells to grow, and that lithium stimulate umbilical cord blood cells to proliferate and secrete neurotrophins (unpublished). NASCINet will be testing lithium alone, UCBMC alone, and UCBMC plus lithium.

Wise.

Thanks Dr. Young. Wishing you lots of luck and success.

Next week, we are officially launching the fundraising campaign for the North American Clinical Trial Network (NASCINet)! If you want to help get these trials going, please email me-jimbenn@rci.rutgers.edu

Helping is simple, just forward eNewsletters to family and friends in your address book and ask that they support this effort to fund clinical trials. If we all get involved, clinical trials can begin this year!

Lets make this happen!

Obviously just for the record everything has been tested on the rodents first and there has been improved function before even thinking about testing on humans.

If rodents are showing improvements there really is no excuses. Am I correct?

Wasn't there rumors a while ago that Dr.MCdonald was doing testing on monkeys in Columbia. I know he invited one of my friends to come down at some point, maybe a couple years ago...did this ever happen? I am just curious if anyone knows maybe Schmecky you remember?

I really don't want to steer off the subject of what's happening here I am just trying to establish fictitious from reality. I am confused if scientists say something if they actually just hype or do.

The NASCINet is the most tangible thing I have seen yet in the 3 years I have been injured.
    Last edited by spidergirl; 05-21-2009 at 04:35 AM.
    Birds Fly in Flocks, but Eagles Fly Alone...

Dang spider girl is looking really really good, now I need to get out of this wheelchair to check out Beverly Hills,
    keiffer66

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Dang spider girl is looking really really good, now I need to get out of this wheelchair to check out Beverly Hills,
    Maybe she should be our covergirl? Wise.