Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 94950515253545556575859606162 LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord Injury Network USA (SCINetUSA)

Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    Jim are y’all not doing untethering anymore? It didn’t say anything about it for SCInetUSA. Also what is the plan of attack for hands?
    If unthethering is necessary, it will be done. I don't think the hand stimulator has been decided on yet. We have a rehab meeting in two weeks.

The last thing that has to be worked out for approval is the cell processing. The FDA does not want each hospital processing the cells. (Thawing, spinning down, extracting the mononuclear cells, and preparing for injection. This make complete sense to me, way too much room for human error. We are looking for a company here in NJ that will process all the cells, and deliver them to each hospital ready to be inected.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    re this lumbosacral research : still no sign of an abstract, a hypothesis, a researcher name, a poster, a paper or a grant award. But we'll take your word for it Jim.
    This is an ongoing research project for a Ph.D. thesis, not talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    This is an ongoing research project for a Ph.D. thesis, not talking about it.
    Ah so there it is. “We are working on it” actually translates to Rutgers has a single PhD candidate working on a thesis related to lumbosacral injury repair. Only took 5 years to get that answer out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    Ah so there it is. “We are working on it” actually translates to Rutgers has a single PhD candidate working on a thesis related to lumbosacral injury repair. Only took 5 years to get that answer out of you.
    No, there is a team. You can read all the details when it's published, including all their names!
    Amongst others, we have a multi-year visiting researcher, MD, PH.D., working on the project with her. If you weren't aware, we are the W. M. Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience.

If unthethering is necessary, it will be done. I don't think the hand stimulator has been decided on yet. We have a rehab meeting in two weeks.

The last thing that has to be worked out for approval is the cell processing. The FDA does not want each hospital processing the cells. (Thawing, spinning down, extracting the mononuclear cells, and preparing for injection. This make complete sense to me, way too much room for human error. We are looking for a company here in NJ that will process all the cells, and deliver them to each hospital ready to
    Ok. I remember you saying that y’all were going to be looking at different things for hand therapy. Didn’t know if y’all had come up with a “6-6-6” program for hands. If the subjects will be walking 6 hours there will on be a couple hours a day to work on fine motor stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    Ok. I remember you saying that y’all were going to be looking at different things for hand therapy. Didn’t know if y’all had come up with a “6-6-6” program for hands. If the subjects will be walking 6 hours there will on be a couple hours a day to work on fine motor stuff.
    It takes months to work up to 6-6-6.

I take it the walking program is the most expensive and resource intensive part of this due to the need for 2 physio's at a time to be working with the patient.

There are never going to be enough physio's to work with everyone, so this will become a blocker to getting any therapy to the masses.

Has there been any work done on seeing if robotic gait trainers like Lokomat etc would have a similar result?

Quote Originally Posted by niallel View Post
    I take it the walking program is the most expensive and resource intensive part of this due to the need for 2 physio's at a time to be working with the patient.

There are never going to be enough physio's to work with everyone, so this will become a blocker to getting any therapy to the masses.

Has there been any work done on seeing if robotic gait trainers like Lokomat etc would have a similar result?
    In the "Walking Program Final" pdf Dr. Young wrote "Where can I get help to do the walking? The walking training is the most expensive part of the therapy. We are talking to the Buddhist Tzu Chi Group in Taiwan (which has millions of volunteers around the world), the Catholic charity Caritas, Rutgers University, and Veterans Administration Hospitals to see if we can establish training standards and accreditation for people to help with the locomotor training. Getting a world-wide training program established will require work and help from many people. We are also are talking with various companies around the world about devices to help restore function to hands and arms."

and

"Can I walk in facilities other than the hospitals associated with the clinical trial centers? At the present, we are intending to do six weeks of the post-operative training at rehabilitation centers associated with the clinical trials (Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation, Hackensack University Medical Center, Meridian Jersey Shore University Medical Center). After the stepping training, the patients can go to other non-medical facilities for the walking training. For example, we are working with Push-to-Walk to provide the facilities and personnel to supervise the walking. We also are working with the Kinesiology Department at Rutgers University to train people to help
    with the walking, the Buddhist Tzuchi Foundation which has many volunteers, and Caritas to see if we can recruit volunteers. We will also be talking with the Veteran Administration Hospital."

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweeds View Post
    In the "Walking Program Final" pdf Dr. Young wrote "Where can I get help to do the walking? The walking training is the most expensive part of the therapy. We are talking to the Buddhist Tzu Chi Group in Taiwan (which has millions of volunteers around the world), the Catholic charity Caritas, Rutgers University, and Veterans Administration Hospitals to see if we can establish training standards and accreditation for people to help with the locomotor training. Getting a world-wide training program established will require work and help from many people. We are also are talking with various companies around the world about devices to help restore function to hands and arms."

and

"Can I walk in facilities other than the hospitals associated with the clinical trial centers? At the present, we are intending to do six weeks of the post-operative training at rehabilitation centers associated with the clinical trials (Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation, Hackensack University Medical Center, Meridian Jersey Shore University Medical Center). After the stepping training, the patients can go to other non-medical facilities for the walking training. For example, we are working with Push-to-Walk to provide the facilities and personnel to supervise the walking. We also are working with the Kinesiology Department at Rutgers University to train people to help
    with the walking, the Buddhist Tzuchi Foundation which has many volunteers, and Caritas to see if we can recruit volunteers. We will also be talking with the Veteran Administration Hospital."
    Thanks, that makes it sound like the plan is to train lots and lots of people.

If it happens thats great, but I imagine it will be a huge task to accomplish.

It would make sense to run a trial group that uses a Lokomat to see if it works as well. If it works just as well it would result in a big increase in sales for them, so it would be a good investment for them to fund it.

No, there is a team. You can read all the details when it's published, including all their names!
    Amongst others, we have a multi-year visiting researcher, MD, PH.D., working on the project with her. If you weren't aware, we are the W. M. Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience.
    True collaboration is only possible with transparency. Most PhD candidates and their mentors are very open about dissertations that are being worked upon. Why the secrecy here? If it smells like bs......

Here lists some great studies that might be of interest to you pelican:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...ear-round/amp/

https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman...lling-you.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ent...amphtml/281734

I know for myself it?s been a work in progress but I wouldn?t be able to do all that I do and lead life I do without that background work.