Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord Injury Network USA (SCINetUSA)

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Cheryl,

I don't know about hope as much as common sense. Common sense tells us that we don't try, nothing will happen. At a recent meeting in Georgia, a quadriplegic man (Irv Naylor) made a very good point. He said that we have a fear of failure that is keeping us from trying. I agree with him. We should not be afraid. We should be setting up the clinical trials, using the best and safest therapies that we can identify. Centers who care should be joining the network, train together to make sure that we can collect credible data, and work with many laboratories to make sure that we have the best therapies.

A lot of people assume that I am doing this because of I want to push umbilical cord blood and lithium. Please understand that we did not invent this therapy. Umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells have been reported by many laboratories to be beneficial models of spinal cord injury but mostly when the cells have been transplanted directly to the spinal cord. These studies were done in China, Japan, Korea, and the U.S.A., and published in peer-reviewed journals. From our own limited experiments with umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells, I am convinced that the cells are safe and that they will bridge the injury site.

Lithium was found by colleagues at the University of Hong Kong to stimulate regeneration in the spinal cord. We found that lithium strongly stimulates umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells (UCBMC) to proliferate and to produce growth factors that stimulate regeneration. Both cord blood and lithium have been used for many years in many patients and have a long and strong record of safe use. HLA-matched cord blood cells are available from cord blood banks. In my opinion, these cells and lithium are the best combination therapy that we can use for the first trial of a therapy for chronic spinal cord injury. If UCBMC and lithium improves function in people with chronic spinal cord injury, that would be wonderful. We will continue to test better therapies. If it doesn't work, that would be important as well because we can say so and stop wasting time pursuing therapies that don't work.

Regarding funding, I am very tired of waiting for some sugar daddy or the government to give the money for the trials. I have now spent the better part of the past decade trying to encourage the government and attending fundraisers to raise money on spinal cord injury clinical trials. It has taken nearly 8 years to get the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act to be passed. I have participated in hundreds of fundraisers and little of the money has been spent on clinical trials. So, that is why I have decided to take the bull by the horn and just raise money directly for clinical trials of chronic spinal cord injury. We are not asking for big donations. The goal is to get many people who care about clinical trials for chronic spinal cord injury to give a dollar a day.

Wise.
    Dr.Young
    is the scar tissue not a problem for this regeneration?
    thank you

I asked you this cause when I was injured they kept us in bed at least for two months and now you say they are fast away walking them around after surgery. What has changed (trick)

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Cheryl,

I don't know about hope as much as common sense. Common sense tells us that we don't try, nothing will happen. At a recent meeting in Georgia, a quadriplegic man (Irv Naylor) made a very good point. He said that we have a fear of failure that is keeping us from trying. I agree with him. We should not be afraid. We should be setting up the clinical trials, using the best and safest therapies that we can identify. Centers who care should be joining the network, train together to make sure that we can collect credible data, and work with many laboratories to make sure that we have the best therapies.

A lot of people assume that I am doing this because of I want to push umbilical cord blood and lithium. Please understand that we did not invent this therapy. Umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells have been reported by many laboratories to be beneficial models of spinal cord injury but mostly when the cells have been transplanted directly to the spinal cord. These studies were done in China, Japan, Korea, and the U.S.A., and published in peer-reviewed journals. From our own limited experiments with umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells, I am convinced that the cells are safe and that they will bridge the injury site.

Lithium was found by colleagues at the University of Hong Kong to stimulate regeneration in the spinal cord. We found that lithium strongly stimulates umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells (UCBMC) to proliferate and to produce growth factors that stimulate regeneration. Both cord blood and lithium have been used for many years in many patients and have a long and strong record of safe use. HLA-matched cord blood cells are available from cord blood banks. In my opinion, these cells and lithium are the best combination therapy that we can use for the first trial of a therapy for chronic spinal cord injury. If UCBMC and lithium improves function in people with chronic spinal cord injury, that would be wonderful. We will continue to test better therapies. If it doesn't work, that would be important as well because we can say so and stop wasting time pursuing therapies that don't work.

Regarding funding, I am very tired of waiting for some sugar daddy or the government to give the money for the trials. I have now spent the better part of the past decade trying to encourage the government and attending fundraisers to raise money on spinal cord injury clinical trials. It has taken nearly 8 years to get the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act to be passed. I have participated in hundreds of fundraisers and little of the money has been spent on clinical trials. So, that is why I have decided to take the bull by the horn and just raise money directly for clinical trials of chronic spinal cord injury. We are not asking for big donations. The goal is to get many people who care about clinical trials for chronic spinal cord injury to give a dollar a day.

Wise.
    Wise,

Should donations to the NASCIN be made through the Keck Center link at the top?

Hi Kim,

sorry off topic but i just noticed your sig

Cure day: http://countdown2zero.com/c0113

good one :
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Wise,

I will give money as well. Please tell us exactly what you plan on doing in bringing chronic clinical trials to the US and how I and several other can get everyone on this team....

Where are the centers going to be located? Do you have therapies that you truly believe will work? Many people can say several things but ACTION is better than HOPE!!

I am in as you see everyone else is intersted as well.. Lets do this!!

I have 5k to start.

CB
    Birds Fly in Flocks, but Eagles Fly Alone...

Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl View Post
    Wise,
    Where are the centers going to be located?
    From post #13 in this thread.

• New Jersey Medical School and Kessler Institute of Rehabilitation.
    • Thomas Jefferson School of Medicine and Magee Rehabilitation.
    • Shriner's Hospital in Philadelphia
    • Brackenridge Hospital in Austin
    • Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York City
    • Long Island Jewish Hospital in Long Island
    • Shepard Rehabilitation Center in Atlanta, Georgia
    • Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan
    • University of Colorado in Denver

Do you have therapies that you truly believe will work?
    From post #38 in this thread:

We found that lithium strongly stimulates umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells (UCBMC) to proliferate and to produce growth factors that stimulate regeneration. Both cord blood and lithium have been used for many years in many patients and have a long and strong record of safe use. HLA-matched cord blood cells are available from cord blood banks. In my opinion, these cells and lithium are the best combination therapy that we can use for the first trial of a therapy for chronic spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl View Post
    Wise,

I will give money as well. Please tell us exactly what you plan on doing in bringing chronic clinical trials to the US and how I and several other can get everyone on this team....

Where are the centers going to be located? Do you have therapies that you truly believe will work? Many people can say several things but ACTION is better than HOPE!!

I am in as you see everyone else is intersted as well.. Lets do this!!

I have 5k to start.

CB
    Cheryl, you can get the details of the trial at http://nascinet.org and I will post a more detailed draft protocol soon.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity View Post
    Wise,

Should donations to the NASCIN be made through the Keck Center link at the top?
    Found the answer here: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...&postcount=142

Dr. Young, you're saying that you will begin recruiting people in September. How can people participate in your trial?

This is all very exciting news.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Hi Kim,

sorry off topic but i just noticed your sig

Cure day: http://countdown2zero.com/c0113

good one :
    Hi Leo

Let´s see by how far I miss.