Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord Injury Network USA (SCINetUSA)

Quote Originally Posted by ay2012 View Post
    Just wondering if everything was on track to submit the IND application by the end of this month, as previously stated/hoped....? Thanks!
    We are still working on it. Wise.

Wise,

In your trials as I understand it you only do one injection of UCBMC/Li. Why only one? Do you see any possible benefits of multiple injections? From my layman's understanding it wouldn't increase the rate of recover but could possibly increase the amount of fibers attempting to cross the injury site.

This is also a general observation of other stem cell treatments I have read about (not an exhaustive study, so I may be way off base). It looks like in most cases a researcher drops a weight on a rat's back, shoot his/her little rat spine with something then watches what happens. Is there simply no benefit for repeated application of stem cells?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post

What I believe we are seeing in our trial now is regeneration. Long fiber tracts are regrowing long distances in the spinal cords and they appear to be making some synaptic connections with distal motor structures at 6-18 months after umbilical cord blood transplants. At least in initial stages, subjects are showing improved walking without much change in motor and sensory scores.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    We are still working on it. Wise.

PROFESSOR
    you work for an IND with any combination therapy UCB+LITHIUM+CETHERIN?

AND IN WHICH CITY IN USA?

WHEN YOU GO AND HAVE APPROVAL FOR Begin?
    JustaDollarPlease.org

Quote Originally Posted by fti View Post
    PROFESSOR
    you work for an IND with any combination therapy UCB+LITHIUM+CETHERIN?

AND IN WHICH CITY IN USA?

WHEN YOU GO AND HAVE APPROVAL FOR Begin?
    No, it's just for UCB and lithium. And they have to receive a response at most three months after submitting the IND.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Wise,

In your trials as I understand it you only do one injection of UCBMC/Li. Why only one? Do you see any possible benefits of multiple injections? From my layman's understanding it wouldn't increase the rate of recover but could possibly increase the amount of fibers attempting to cross the injury site.

This is also a general observation of other stem cell treatments I have read about (not an exhaustive study, so I may be way off base). It looks like in most cases a researcher drops a weight on a rat's back, shoot his/her little rat spine with something then watches what happens. Is there simply no benefit for repeated application of stem cells?

Thanks.

I was under the impression that they are doing 4 injections, 2 above the injury site on each side of the cord and 2 injections below...

Or do you mean second round of injections?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Correct lunasicc42, thats about all that will fit. Additional injections may be considered depending on the results.
    Last edited by Jim; 01-24-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    I was under the impression that they are doing 4 injections, 2 above the injury site on each side of the cord and 2 injections below...

Or do you mean second round of injections?
    The latter.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    The latter.
    I asked this question before. Dr. Young said they would want/need to wait over a year post therapy to consider doing it again... And multiple injections would likely require their own set of trials.

Quote Originally Posted by ay2012 View Post
    I asked this question before. Dr. Young said they would want/need to wait over a year post therapy to consider doing it again... And multiple injections would likely require their own set of trials.
    Thanks. I realize that some things don't get proportionally better the more you take them (you don't take 50 aspirin to get rid of a migraine) but I saw a show on how they grew a pig heart in a bath of stem cells and it seemed like something like a pump like a baclophen pump into the injury site of stem cells would be an interesting concept.

Whats the fundraising tally up to?