Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord Injury Network USA (SCINetUSA)

Quote Originally Posted by alipur View Post
    Hallo Dr.Young
    You are busy with this reaserch in China, why you are repeating the same trial? is it not better to use the money and energy to test another kind of possible treatment??
    Fr. regards
    We are doing the trial in the U.S. for two reasons. The first is that it is silly for Americans to travel to China for this clinical trial. The second is that the U.S. FDA requires two positive phase 3 trials to approve a therapy.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Any talks with Hopkins or University of Maryland?
    Not yet. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    Thanks, Wise! I gotta say, I was hoping to see at least one west coast hospital on that list, but I'm sure there are reasons why not. In any case, it's super good news.
    Kate,

We have not been recruiting centers at all. Originally, we had intended to just do a local network around NJ, NY, and PA. However, it turned out that many centers were interested and we decided to expand. More centers mean more work and cost. About 8 centers will be sufficient for us to do the initial trial.

Wise.

china sci network

I don't understand- China's gymnast hero sustained a devastating sci before the olympics even began, and doctors tell her she'll never, ever walk. She should've been in the thick of clinical trials, I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by cdurfee99 View Post
    I don't understand- China's gymnast hero sustained a devastating sci before the olympics even began, and doctors tell her she'll never, ever walk. She should've been in the thick of clinical trials, I am confused.
    cdurfee99,

Are you referring to the Chinese dancer Liu Yan, who was featured in the New York Times article and suffered spinal cord injury in rehearsals for the Olympics Opening Ceremony? I spent a day with her last year and discussed all the options with her. She is working hard to extending her recovery. I am hopeful that she will recover more.

By the way, the ChinaSCINet and NASCINet trials are for chronic spinal cord injury and she would be eligible for the trials when she is more than one year after injury.

Wise.

some very interesting news here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    cdurfee99,

Are you referring to the Chinese dancer Liu Yan, who was featured in the New York Times article and suffered spinal cord injury in rehearsals for the Olympics Opening Ceremony? I spent a day with her last year and discussed all the options with her. She is working hard to extending her recovery. I am hopeful that she will recover more.

By the way, the ChinaSCINet and NASCINet trials are for chronic spinal cord injury and she would be eligible for the trials when she is more than one year after injury.

Wise.

This is very excting news Dr. Young. I know the anticipation and anxiety of chronics are buiding extensively. You can read between the lines in the posts and feel the hardship in their hearts. I know because I am one of them. But don't buy into the BS and naysayers that want to not believe that your doing everything in your power to make this happen. If everyone in the community can donate and ask their family and friends to donate as much as possible we can make this happen..

Dont forget la la dates..
    Birds Fly in Flocks, but Eagles Fly Alone...

omg

Finally something I can believe in and support. Been waiting for this............................

I am all the way with this group! Thanks Wise. I needed this.

VERY HAPPY!!
    Birds Fly in Flocks, but Eagles Fly Alone...

Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl View Post
    This is very excting news Dr. Young. I know the anticipation and anxiety of chronics are buiding extensively. You can read between the lines in the posts and feel the hardship in their hearts. I know because I am one of them. But don't buy into the BS and naysayers that want to not believe that your doing everything in your power to make this happen. If everyone in the community can donate and ask their family and friends to donate as much as possible we can make this happen..

Dont forget la la dates..
    Hey, spidergirl. I just sent Jim Bennett to the airport. I am staying in Kunming till tomorrow. They really try to drink all the American neurosurgeons until the table last night but I think that good old USA stood their ground. Our Kunming hosts were so hospitable, it was embarassing. The night before, after a very intense day in the operating room, observing three cases of myelotomy or cell transplants and an intense debate over what the best locomotor training program should be, we had a raucous dinner. The Chinese side of the room (we had the Chinese neurosurgeons on our side) was drowned out the American side until the American started coming over. They have invented a whole new approach to drinking here.

It was great for the the top people from Kessler, Shepard, and Magee to see people walking 6 hours a day, six days a week. People were really skeptical. Also, I was really gratified that the five neurosurgeons that we had with us all agreed that the procedure was pretty reasonable. Well, we shall see. In the coming fall, I will bring another group over. I don't know whether I would ever survive the drinking but I have noticed that my hosts are kindly "protecting" me by making sure that my glass is not completely filled and not coming to me as often for the toasting.

It was the first time that so many Americans have come to China to a military hospital to see what they are doing for spinal cord injury 8in China. I will let the people themselves tell other what they saw and concluded.

Wise.

Dr. Young,

In a previous post you wrote;

"It was great for the the top people from Kessler, Shepard, and Magee to see people walking 6 hours a day, six days a week"

Are you saying that you have treated people and they are now "able" to walk for six hours?

Did I misunderstand this?