Page 23 of 72 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord Injury Network USA (SCINetUSA)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    Dr. Young,

Thank you for taking the time to clear things up, especially on a weekend. Thank you also for your efforts and dedication towards finding a cure for SCI.

Regarding StemCyte, perhaps you could ask them to remove you from the "Management" page and move you over to the "Medical and Scientific Advisory Board" page. That would avoid any confusion in the future.

I'll try to find some of the articles referenced on the internet -- it's difficult for me to get to a research library. Best wishes for a successful experiment!
    Charles, thanks. Regarding Stemcyte, I do give them advice but do not get paid personally for the advice. Several of our discoveries, i.e. that lithium stimulates umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells to secrete neurotrophins, are being patented. Last year, Rutgers University licensed the patents to Stemcyte and the University will receive royalty should the technology result in products and profits. In exchange, Stemcyte also funds some of our spinal cord research, has supported ChinaSCINet and several of our workshops and symposia in China, and they will be donating all the umbilical cord blood units and processing to ChinaSCINet and SCINetUSA.

I am writing up more detailed articles of umbilical cord blood mononuclear cell and lithium therapies. Most of my time in the past four year has been spent trying to organizing and training the centers in China to do the clinical trials. I want to emphasize that ChinaSCINet and SCINetUSA are not just about umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells and lithium. These are clinical trial networks that will be testing many treatments. We are in discussion with several companies about other treatments. It just so happens that the network chose to start with umbilical cord blood and lithium. We spent over five years organizing and training the doctors at 25 centers in China so that they can carry out rigorous clinical trials. We are doing the same in the United States.

We chose umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells for the following reasons in addition to reports from many laboratories that the cells improve recovery in anima spinal cord injury models. First, umbilical cord blood cells are banked in large enough numbers to allow HLA-matching of cells to recipients. Second, umbilical cord blood cells have been used to treat thousands of people over the past three decades. Third, strong and rigorous safety standards have been developed for cord blood. Fourth, our studies and those of other laboratories indicate that the cells are well-behaved when transplanted into the spinal cord, i.e. they do not migrate everywhere and they do not grow into tumors. Fifth, they respond to lithium by secreting neurotrophins that stimulate regeneration. Finally, we worked closely with Stemcyte to develop and implement new technology for isolating and shipping umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells for the clinical trials.

In my opinion, there is no other sources of HLA-compatible cells (besides umbilical cord blood) that are ready for multicenter clinical trials at the present. Several centers (e.g. in Prague, Seoul, and Bombay) have been transplanting autografts of bone marrow cells prepared by local laboratories but neither the laboratories nor procedures have been standardized and GTP-certified (Good Tissue Processing). The technology is not yet available for freezing bone marrow to transportation to a centralized laboratory and then refreezing and transporting the prepared cells back to the hospitals for transplantation. I believe some of the technology that we developed for umbilical cord blood cells may now be suitable for bone marrow cells.

We considered and ruled out many other sources of cells. At one time, I discussed the possibility of using embryonic stem cells with Woo-Suk Hwang but this of course fell apart. We have discussed doing trials with Geron but they are committed to the trials in the United States. We considered olfactory ensheathing glia from the nose but decided that this is not a reliable source. We considered and ruled out obtained from aborted fetuses for the following reasons. First, the cells are not HLA-matched to the recipients. While some groups claim that the fetal cells are immune-privileged, I am not convinced of this. Second, there are not enough aborted fetuses to provide a reliable supply of cells for our clinical trials. Third, the quality of fetal cells is very variable and I am not convinced of the safety of cells in the U.S. Third, approval of fetal cells will be controversial and difficult.

There is one other very important reason for doing a rigorous clinical trial of umbilical cord blood cells. Many clinics around the world are charging patients for treating them with umbilical cord blood cells. If the treatment does not work, we need to know that and move on to other therapies. If the treatment works, then it is very important to know and get the therapies approved. If UCBMC doesn't work, both ChinaSCINet and SCINetUSA will move to other cells and treatments.

Finally, let me describe the genesis of ChinaSCINet and SCINetUSA. I began ChinaSCINet in 2004 because China probably has over a million people with spinal cord injury and they need trials and hope as much as anybody else. With the help of my friend and colleague Dr. Kwok-Fai So and Suzanne Poon, we now have a network of 25 centers in mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. It took us 5 years to train these centers, raise the funds, and get everybody working together. When people heard that trials were going in China, many Americans flooded us with requests to go to China. As I recently pointed out, this really bothered me. So, I decided to start SCINetUSA. We have 8 centers at the present and we hav been working very hard over the past six months to reach conensus concerning the protocols. SCiNetUSA will initially do the same clinical trial as China.

My goal in these networks is train clinicians within the networks to test the most promising therapies. The experience of testing the first combination therapy (umbilical cord blood cells and lithium) will establish the template for testing many combination therapies. The networks are also committed to a philosophy of clinical trials that I believe in. Rather than just testing a group of patients and then abandoning them, the networks will continue to design trials for the people who have participated in their trials. I do not think that there will be a be-all-and-end-all therapy any time soon. Therapies will give us incremental results and the networks will design trials to find therapies that continue to improve patients who have participated in our trials. I also hope that the networks will be able to test specific therapies for many of the problems of spinal cord injury, including neuropathic pain. Both ChinaSCINet and SCINetUSA focusing their main efforts on chronic spinal cord injury.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 09-28-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Clarified and added chronic spinal cord injury statement at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by mckeownp View Post
    I think this is important to read. I do not believe why people are so meanly opinionated when they don't have a clue.
    I totally support just a dollar please.
    Mckeownp,

Bob Katz is BigBob. He was banned from CareCure several years ago for attacking members who disagree with him. He has a son who has transverse myelitis. He keeps re-registering to attack me. For example, I believe that he is the same person as Doodles who recently posted an article about methylprednisolone (Source).

I am saddened not just because he is so biased and ignorant but because he is preventing people from getting methylprednisolone. Every time I meet somebody who did not receive the treatment and showed no improvement, I feel awful because the drug on average improves the recovery by about 20%. I am astounded by how people like Bob Katz can so blithely deprive others of a treatment that might help them.

By the way, Bob Katz professes to support embryonic stem cell research and has strongly attacked others whom he thinks do not support embryonic stem cell research. This was one of the reasons he was banned from this site. Yet, he posted extensively on internet in 2007 against the stem cell research bill in New Jersey. Now, he is attacking umbilical cord blood cells. I can understand if he and his son are not interested, but why deprive others?

Wise.

Bob Katz Says:
    September 21st, 2009 at 8:08 pmI have trouble with this effort. The cheif investigator claimed the first and only treatment for spinal cord injury, methylprednisolone, which finally after review by peers has been seen to not really have any benefit. I also question why the need to do trials for cord blood and lithium for spinal cord injury in 3 countries simultaneously unless the real goal is to commercialize the treatment overseas for medical tourism. If it was so promising the NIH would fund it, but instead they are preying on spinal cord injured and their families here http://www.justadollarplease.org/ I also wonder how many anti abortion right to life people want to support this because it doesn’t use embryonic stem cells. What’s even more amazing is how some people are so hooked by the hype and can’t grasp that what brought the cheif investigator of this proposed trial to fame was methylprednisolone, and even though that treatment is no longer considered a standard of care they rather hold onto to it and dismiss all the negative peer review about steroid treatment for sci. Furthermore there is already a licensing agreement with the supplier of the cord blood cells and the chief investigator, although a university professor is on that companies board.
    I suppose that I should answer this.

Bob asks "why the need to do trials for cord blood and lithium for spinal cord injury in 3 countries simultaneously unless the real goal is to commercialize the treatment overseas for medical tourism". This question is illogical. If I wanted to encourage medical tourism, we would not be doing the trials in China and the U.S. Our "real goal" is to get the treatment approved in both countries. In addition, the U.S. requires two phase 3 trials.

Bob Katz is wrong when he claims that I am "on the companies board." I am not on the board of Stemcyte.

The rest is so pathological that no answer is possible.

Wise.

dr wise do you think there could be possible benefits to taking a normal dose of lithium now by itself? just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by MValente81807 View Post
    dr wise do you think there could be possible benefits to taking a normal dose of lithium now by itself? just curious.
    This is what we are now testing in China. We just completed a clinical trial, which randomized 40 patients to lithium or placebo. The lithium was given for 6 weeks. We will unblind the study soon and will know whether a 6-week course of lithium in beneficial.

Wise.

All I know is I got methylprednisolone 2 hours after my injury. I had no movement neck to toes. C-2, C-5, C7, all those injurys got better. Now I'm stuck at T-4. Did it help , I would guess to say yes.

"I do not think that there will be a be-all-and-end-all therapy any time soon. Therapies will give us incremental results and the networks will design trials to find therapies that continue to improve patients who have participated in our trials. I also hope that the networks will be able to test specific therapies for many of the problems of spinal cord injury, including neuropathic pain. Both ChinaSCINet and SCINetUSA focusing their main efforts on chronic spinal cord injury.

Wise."

Dr. Young,

Does this mean that the only people eligible for the future SCINETUSA trials are patients that have participated in earlier trials??

Quote Originally Posted by medstudent View Post
    "I do not think that there will be a be-all-and-end-all therapy any time soon. Therapies will give us incremental results and the networks will design trials to find therapies that continue to improve patients who have participated in our trials. I also hope that the networks will be able to test specific therapies for many of the problems of spinal cord injury, including neuropathic pain. Both ChinaSCINet and SCINetUSA focusing their main efforts on chronic spinal cord injury.

Wise."

Dr. Young,

Does this mean that the only people eligible for the future SCINETUSA trials are patients that have participated in earlier trials??
    Yes, one of our goals is to design clinical trials for participants in our previous trials. Wise.

Thank you for your reply Dr. Young. Does this mean that it would be a wasted effort for those of us who have not yet participated in a SCINETUSA trial to wait for the announcement of trial recruitments? I'm sure a lot of people are holding onto the hope of participating in one of these upcoming trials.

Quote Originally Posted by medstudent View Post
    Thank you for your reply Dr. Young. Does this mean that it would be a wasted effort for those of us who have not yet participated in a SCINETUSA trial to wait for the announcement of trial recruitments? I'm sure a lot of people are holding onto the hope of participating in one of these upcoming trials.
    medstudent, I don't understand your question. There have not been any SCINetUSA trial yet. We have not started recruiting. We are still working on the protocols and the trials have yet to be approved by the FDA.

Wise.