Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord Injury Network USA (SCINetUSA)

dr. young

dr. young-
    in your estimation, how brilliant is your neighbor dr. kerr?

I just donated $ 365 on the JustADollarPlease.org website and hope it's not just me doing so.
    I'm tired of sitting on my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    We are currently creating the SCINetUSA website and are going live ASAP. Once the website is live I well be sending out an eNewsletter that will direct people to the JustADollarPlease.org website where they can donate.

Please send me your emails so you can pass the newsletter on to your friends/family. jimbenn@rci.rutgers.edu

Read this post by Dr Young that outlines our fundraising goals-
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Moe,

I... don't care about what I think ... you should just ignore my posts.

I don't understand ... words.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by cdurfee99 View Post
    dr. young-
    in your estimation, how brilliant is your neighbor dr. kerr?
    Dr. Kerr is brilliant, amongst the most brilliant of my friends. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Solan View Post
    I just donated $ 365 on the JustADollarPlease.org website and hope it's not just me doing so.
    I'm tired of sitting on my ass.
    how did U do it I google dollar please... got crazy results ...I have Visa

Quote Originally Posted by mckeownp View Post
    how did U do it I google dollar please... got crazy results ...I have Visa
    confusing options what do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by mckeownp View Post
    confusing options what do I do?
    www.justadollarplease.org
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Many then flies around the world with CC followers advocating for UCB injections, which does not make anything any better. In fact, it does not help research for SCI, because SCI and more SCI research are not mentioned! I give up.
    Hi Leif,

I'm a little late to this thread, so maybe I'm missing something. But if I understand you correctly, SCINet is proposing to take two therapies that have shown minor promise and then go straight to human trials with a combination of them.

I have to say that I don't understand the wisdom of this, nor the enthusiasm this has generated, nor the reason to donate $30 million for this "grand experiment".

1) Wouldn't it make more sense to try the UCB + lithium combination out on rats first for, say, $1 million? It wouldn't delay things by more than a year or so. It will probably take at least a year just to raise $30 million.

2) If we are raising $30 million for SCI research, wouldn't it make more sense to give it to the programs that have already demonstrated more robust results?

3) As can be seen at:

http://www.stemcyteinc.com/about/management.html

Dr. Young is part of the (presumably paid) management team for StemCyte, the company that is supplying the UCB's for this experiment. Unless they are donating them, this would seem to be a conflict of interest. Most universities require that their researchers take a leave of absence before working at a for-profit outside venture.

What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    Hi Leif,

I'm a little late to this thread, so maybe I'm missing something. But if I understand you correctly, SCINet is proposing to take two therapies that have shown minor promise and then go straight to human trials with a combination of them.

I have to say that I don't understand the wisdom of this, nor the enthusiasm this has generated, nor the reason to donate $30 million for this "grand experiment".

1) Wouldn't it make more sense to try the UCB + lithium combination out on rats first for, say, $1 million? It wouldn't delay things by more than a year or so. It will probably take at least a year just to raise $30 million.

2) If we are raising $30 million for SCI research, wouldn't it make more sense to give it to the programs that have already demonstrated more robust results?

3) As can be seen at:

http://www.stemcyteinc.com/about/management.html

Dr. Young is part of the (presumably paid) management team for StemCyte, the company that is supplying the UCB's for this experiment. Unless they are donating them, this would seem to be a conflict of interest. Most universities require that their researchers take a leave of absence before working at a for-profit outside venture.

What am I missing?
    Yeah, what's another year? What the hell, how 'bout the standard
    five more?

Seriously, don't be surprised if Leif is the only one who agrees with
    you that any research should be held up longer than necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post

What am I missing?
    You should meet prof. Wise Young as soon as you have an opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier View Post
    Yeah, what's another year? What the hell, how 'bout the standard
    five more?

Seriously, don't be surprised if Leif is the only one who agrees with
    you that any research should be held up longer than necessary.
    Like I said, I'm late to this thread, so maybe I'm missing a few things. But given that fact that the SCI community has limited resources to work with, it's not clear to me that spending $30 million for a completely unproven combination of therapies is the best use of funds.

It seems like everyone is excited about "human trials". And we should be. That is what is going to get us out of our wheelchairs. I'm just asking, "Is this the best human trial to start with?"

And I'm also asking if there is a conflict of interest when one of the principal investigators is on the management team of the company that is supplier of the biological agents (UCB's). Obviously that company has a profit-based motive. There is nothing wrong with that -- *all* companies do. But it seems to me that relationship should be disclosed.

As far as delays go, why not run the experiment on rats while the $30 million is being raised? That way there won't be any additional delays....