Page 1 of 33 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord Injury Network USA (SCINetUSA)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spinal Cord Injury Network USA (SCINetUSA)

Greetings Fellow CareCure Members,

I‘m Jim Bennett and I work at the W.M. Keck Center, Spinal Cord Injury Project, at Rutgers University. I am asking you to join me in launching spinal cord injury clinical trials in the United States!

On March 17, 2009, The North American Spinal Cord Injury Network (NASCINet) was formed. This came at the conclusion of the First Investigator Meeting at University Medical Center Brackenridge in Austin, Texas. The goal of the network is to test promising therapies to restore function in people with chronic spinal cord injuries (SCI).

We, the SCI Community, can and must support these trials by raising the needed funds. If we take an active role and work together, clinical trials for SCI will begin this year!

I am building a network of recruiters, “The Clinical Trial Support Squad”, whose goal is to procure donations from 100 individuals and families. We will use social networking websites such as Facebook, MySpace and Twitter to reach potential donors. Let’s get these clinical trails going!

If you would like to join “The Clinical Trial Support Squad” and get these trials going now, email me- jimbenn@rci.rutgers.edu.

Thank you! Jim

More details on the trials are at http://nascinet.org
    Last edited by Jim; 06-17-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Looks good Jim. I'm not sure how I can help being up to my nose in graduate economics and math, but I'm sure there will be a positive reaction to this. Thanks for your hard work.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Thanks Chuck, Harriet and Jim,

ordered them a couple days ago and hope to have photos posted in a few days.

rock on
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

kickingber
    what do you need, where you need it?

Hi Jim- it sounds like a promising venture. I'd like to get involved in some aspect. On the website that you posted, it states that FDA approval could be sought by mid-2010. With adequate funds are trials possible this year?

I agree, let's get started. It's about time we do something as it relates to chronic SCI human clinical trials. Why would the Christopher Reeve foundation not be interested in helping with this? After all aren't they the figure head of our community with the public at large?

The question I have is why do we need to setup a new,different or seperate clinical trial network? What network is Geron going to use? What happened to http://www.christopherreeve.org/site...al_Network.htm ? I can't get the link to work, click on research on the home page , scroll down to clinical trials on the lower left of the screen and look for "Reeve Foundation North-American Clinincal Trials Network"

With times as tough as they are and money hard to come by shouldn't we be pooling our resources?

Quote Originally Posted by rjames View Post
    I agree, let's get started. It's about time we do something as it relates to chronic SCI human clinical trials. Why would the Christopher Reeve foundation not be interested in helping with this? After all aren't they the figure head of our community with the public at large?

The question I have is why do we need to setup a new,different or seperate clinical trial network? What network is Geron going to use? What happened to http://www.christopherreeve.org/site...al_Network.htm ? I can't get the link to work, click on research on the home page , scroll down to clinical trials on the lower left of the screen and look for "Reeve Foundation North-American Clinincal Trials Network"

With times as tough as they are and money hard to come by shouldn't we be pooling our resources?

Good questions. I too was wondering about what network was already in place that facilitated Geron to go ahead with their trial.

Would this be a continuation of this?:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...111745&page=15

Please excuse my lack of a clue if that is the case

Quote Originally Posted by carbar View Post
    Good questions. I too was wondering about what network was already in place that facilitated Geron to go ahead with their trial.
    Barbara,

The Geron trial is not being done by a "network". It is just a multicenter trial. A network is a standing group of centers that agree to work together to test therapies and to carry out multiple trials. While a multicenter clinical trial may involve many centers, it may not be a network. For example, the first spinal cord injury network that was formed was the National Acute Spinal Cord Injury Study (NASCIS) that I helped formed to test methylprednisolone, naloxone, tirilazad mesylate from 1978-1998. In the late 1990's, Acorda Therapeutics carried out various Fampridine trials with a network of over 82 spinal cord injury centers. In 2003, we formed the ChinaSCINet which consists of about 25 centers in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.

NACTN (North American Clinical Trial Network) was formed by the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation. As many here know, I am a strong supporter of the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation. NACTN is currently recruiting subjects for an acute spinal cord injury treatment trial. NASCINet is testing therapies for chronic spinal cord injury and will be carrying out trials that parallel those being done at the ChinaSCINet.

Wise.

some very interesting news here.