Thread: Help for my Dad - C5 Complete

Help for my Dad - C5 Complete

What is the normal procedure for removing a trach? Is the patient's O2 saturations monitored somehow afterwards until they know for sure that everything is okay? (to make sure mucous doesn't choke the patient)

It is a combination of making sure that the person can manage their secretions without having to be suctioned, that the secretions stay thin enough to be mobilized and that they can handle being plugged for the day, over several days. The O2 sats need to be maintained.

We generally monitor the O2 sat for 72 hours, then do spot checks. Much of this is modified by how the patient is doing and feels they are breathing.

CKF

Is this a normal standard procedure to monitor the o2 stats for 72 hours?

The time can vary depending on the age of the person, whether or not they have a history of respiratory probems before their injury and how they are doing. I wouldn't get hung up on the amount of time that the O2 sats are monitored. I would be more concerned with how your Dad is tolerating the change.

CKF

I'm so glad that your dad was finally admitted to the VA hospital after all. I'm sure that they will take very good care of him.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

My sister ended up keeping her trach for several months after the oxygen was removed for secretion purposes. The weaning of the oxygen and ventilator was completed by respiratory therapists at a speciality hospital.

Secretions are better monitored by the nursing staff listening to the chest. A drop in 02 saturation is a late change. Listening will pick up accumulating secretions that can be removed with suctioning, a Cough-Assist machine, or vigorous "quad" coughing.

Few LTACs which specialize in respiratory care know anything about SCI respiratory care, which is different.

(KLD)