Thread: Post tramatic SCI injury

Question Post tramatic SCI injury

I am need of some information regarding a SCI I had nearly 26 years ago. I am a c4-6 incomplete quad with a lot of movement on the right side and limited on the left. I have been healthy for the most part, taking good care of myself.

Back in 2000, I started to experience pain. It was slow and mild then. Since then, my pain level has increased and have had several injections in my neck to relieve the symptoms. Over a year ago, I moved to a different state and found a great network of doctors.

My question is, recently, the doctors injected, under flouroscope, in my neck a solution to help break down scar tissue and another solution to wash away what was loose. Then they injected a steroid to help with the pain. However, it did not help this time. The doctors did an MRI and x-ray of my neck to see what is going on. The results were that they found a cyst like material on the cord. They are comparing film from 2003 and now to see if this material has grown in that period of time. In addition, they are referring me to a neurosurgeon. I did not get the exact name that they are calling this material but I plan to find out.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and what it is that I may have and what can be done. Thank you for any assistance.

could be a syrinx? Many people develop a syrinx at or near the site of original injury. Can cause a lot of new problems to develop.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by Lvshelly1 View Post
    I am need of some information regarding a SCI I had nearly 26 years ago. I am a c4-6 incomplete quad with a lot of movement on the right side and limited on the left. I have been healthy for the most part, taking good care of myself.

Back in 2000, I started to experience pain. It was slow and mild then. Since then, my pain level has increased and have had several injections in my neck to relieve the symptoms. Over a year ago, I moved to a different state and found a great network of doctors.

My question is, recently, the doctors injected, under flouroscope, in my neck a solution to help break down scar tissue and another solution to wash away what was loose. Then they injected a steroid to help with the pain. However, it did not help this time. The doctors did an MRI and x-ray of my neck to see what is going on. The results were that they found a cyst like material on the cord. They are comparing film from 2003 and now to see if this material has grown in that period of time. In addition, they are referring me to a neurosurgeon. I did not get the exact name that they are calling this material but I plan to find out.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and what it is that I may have and what can be done. Thank you for any assistance.
    Lvshelby,

It is not unusual for somebody to develop pain many years after injury. Can you describe the cyst that was found in greater detail. Is the cyst in the spinal cord or on the surface of the spinal cord? The former is called a syringomyelic cyst and the latter is an epidural or dural cyst. The latter should be operated on. The treatment of a syringomyelic cyst depends on the size and symptoms, whether it is new and progressive, and location.

Wise.