Thread: Urinary Track Infections after Cath

Urinary Track Infections after Cath

About a month and 1/2 ago my Urologist put me on self cath. Just three weeks after that, I developed an infection. After a week of antibiotics, it was cleared. Now just a couple of weeks later, I notice that my urine is cloudy. So it seems that I could be having another infection.
    I am sure I have been very careful with my caths to avoid contamination. Is it possible that I am more prone to infections than normal?
    Now, somebody told me that when you have repeated infections like this, it's better to leave them untreated in order to avoid bacteria resistance. Is that a good idea? I take cranberry pills and drink a lot of water to try to clean it up but so far no luck. Except for the cloudy urine, I have no other symptom: no dark color, no burning.

Please advise.
    Last edited by ricksaint; 04-14-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricksaint View Post
    About a month and 1/2 ago my Urologist put me on self cath. Just three weeks after that, I developed an infection. After a week of antibiotics, it was cleared. Now just a couple of weeks later, I notice that my urine is not clear. So it seems that I could be having another infection.
    I am sure I have been very careful with my caths to avoid contamination. Is it possible that I am more prone to infections than normal?
    Now, somebody told me that when you have repeated infections like this, it's better to leave them untreated in order to avoid bacteria resistance. Is that a good idea? I take cranberry pills and drink a lot of water to try to clean it up but so far no luck. Except for the unclear urine, I have no other symptom: no dark color, no burning.

Please advise.
    If you have no symptoms besides cloudy urine or odorous urine, don't treat. If you have high fever and aches and spasms, and are incontinent, then you need the antibiotics.

Good luck.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    If you have no symptoms besides cloudy urine or odorous urine, don't treat. If you have high fever and aches and spasms, and are incontinent, then you need the antibiotics.

Good luck.
    If I don't treat the infection, will the urine stay cloudy forever or will it eventually clear?

It'll clear up more than likely, mine always does.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Ricksaint,
    I agree with rdf that you don't use meds unless you are sick. At one point I was having a bad UTI complete with feaver every month for over a year. I broke the cycle by going to single use catheters and also arranged things so my huge male equipment package was no longer room mates with my butt. I accomplished that by cutting a hole in the fly of my underwear.

By no means do we recommend you treating what is probably colonization of bacteria in your urine. This is what can cause antibiotic resistent bacteria. Keep the fluids coming- how often are you cathing and what amounts?

Do you take any medications that might be causing you to become dehydrated? That could be adding to your problems.

CKF

I agree with everyone about not treating with antibiotics unless you got physical symptoms, another reason for cloudy urine could be semen going backwards into your bladder. That's what my urologist said when I was having the same problem as you. Maybe SCI Nurse can confirm, either way, drinking lots of water seems to help.

It could be semen- thanks for adding that. Water does help to clear it up.
    CKF