Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attack of the roids

Attack of the roids

I am going on 23 years as a t-12 complete so by my math:

23 years X 365 days/year = 8395 days divided by a bowel movement every other day = 4197 times I have stuck my finger up my butt to take a dump. Last week the gloved finger comes back out with blood on it. A trip to the proctologist (who doesn't probably have any patients with SCI) has me drop trousers and says, yep, you have hemmoroids. He then suggests that I not sit so much?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Any tips from the experts here on how to control this?

If bleeding is a problem and they are candidates for being "struggled by elastics" to die and go (a rubber band ligation ), I would try that first. The doctor did not offer you options (beside his idiotic suggestion)? Rubber band ligation saved me a few years before I needed surgery.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

If they are not too bad, just bad enough to be annoying, try soaking a cotton make-up-remover pad (the largest one you can find - Target has LARGE ones) in Witch Hazel. After your bowel program, or whenever, use one or two of these on the hemorrhoid and it should make a difference in time and it's a lot cheaper than the Tucks brand wipes. I keep a plastic container full of these at all times.

Try. PreparationH
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

Tell you're doctor just because he works with assholes all day he doesn't have to act like one.

Seriously if that's all he said go back and ask for some real options or find a new proctologist.
    No human society, present or past, has lacked music. Music is therefore one of the very few human universals, which puts it on the same level as food and sex.
    Fredric Lieberman

The option that he gave you obviously is not appropriate for you. However, if you can limit the amount of time you are sitting, even a little bit, it will help a little.

Using the witch hazel will help or use warm moist pads. If yu can sit at all in a bath of warrm water after your bowel program that might help.

Also, you could try using a Preparation H or something similar.

In the long run, I would agree. Having them tied off is probably the easiest way to get rid of them, but it does depend on their size.

CKF

I read this and thought, "this guy saw my doctor"! It's a sad day when our own, trusted doctors act like idiots. I had the very same problem (I'm c5-6, 26 years post) and took standard action to fix it - Prep H, showered twice a day to clean a dry, and actually found time to lie down for 30 minutes in the afternoon. But the best results came from a warm hot tub for about three days in a row.

I know, I know, not many of us have access to a hot tub or can get in one, but I'm fortunate to have a great brother who has one and he helped me in and out. If you can find a warm tub of water, it's great relief of the 'roids.

I'm new to this site and I'm getting lots from it - thanks!

Welcome bill. Hope we can be of some assistance in some manner, some time, some how.

Four main factors put people with SCI at high risk for hemorrhoids:

1. The techniques required for bowel management (dig stim and manual removal primarily).

2. More common to have hard stools.

3. Sitting most of the time (truck drivers get them too).

4. Abnormal muscle tone in the pelvic floor muscles that support the rectum.

Since you are in Atlanta, sux, I would recommend checking with the Shephard Center outpatient clinic to see if they can refer you to a colorectal surgeon who does have both knowledge and experience with people with SCI. Generally we don't recommend surgery or even ligation (rubber band or sclerosing injections) unless you are bleeding between bowel care, in large amounts, or are getting AD from the inflammation.

Ointments and creams will sooth hemorrhoids, but will not make them go away.

(KLD)

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    unless you are bleeding between bowel care, in large amounts, or are getting AD from the inflammation.

Ointments and creams will sooth hemorrhoids, but will not make them go away.

(KLD)
    Thanks, KLD; that whole post was brilliant and concise!

Just to be clear, she means: Surgery or rubber bands not recommended unless you are bleeding between bowel care, OR in large amounts, or are getting AD from the inflammation. (It's the major bleeding during bowel care that got me -- severe anemia.)