Thread: New here

New here

hi im new here also, I was involved in a serious work accident on October 28, 2008, I have been out of the hospital since Feb, 28,2009,
    I have L1-L5 im just wondering if there are any L1-L5, how many are walking and or any other activities?
    please get in touch...thanks

JohnnyGuuy~

Are you inccomplete ? ASIA score ( A,B,C,Dor E)?

CWO

Sounds like L1-5 are your fractures, not your neurologic level. Do you know what that is? Likely to be cauda equina syndrome (CES) although could be low lumbar depending on your actual neurologic damage. Your ASIA level and category would be helpful, either in your profile or in your post.

Welcome to our forums!

(KLD)

im a complete L1-L5...but what is imcomplete?
    does it affect the bladder and bowels?

You cannot be a complete L1-5. Using the ASIA system, your injury is named after the lowest intact spinal cord segment with a motor grade of 3 or better and normal sensation. What level is that for you? It could be L1/L2 if you were L1 on one side and L2 on the other side of your body, but since you don't have 5 legs (I assume) it cannot be L1-5.

Where does your normal sensation end on the front of your legs? If your injury is truely L1, you would not have sensation below your groin.

Do you have grade 3 or better strength in any of these muscles?:
    • Hip flexors (L2)
    • Knee extensors (L3)
    • Ankle dorsiflexors (L4
    • Big toe extensors (L5)
    • Ankle plantarflexors (S1)
    Perhaps you should talk this over with your physiatrist or check your medical records from rehab. Did you go to a specialty SCI rehab center?

You can read more about the ASIA scoring system and complete/incomplete injuries here:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...nalLevels.html

(KLD)

Jonny, you mean your fused from L1 to L5? Thats the level of my fusion, and along with it I got cauda equina. It took me 16 months to get up in a walker, 18 for walking w/arm crutches, however, every injury is different. Your gonna have to work at getting to your own level. As far as bladder/bowel, thats a toughie, because your injury is right smack dab in the middle of nomans land, so to speak. It's possible for recovery.more info if you can get it, I know I didn't get any info re: ASIA-a,b,c,d,but should be in a transcript, or ask your therapist to tell you.
    Welcome, sorry to hear you had to find us, glad you did, there's a wealth of info here.

Welcome buddy. The best advice I can give you is stay out of the politics forums. They are a black hole that sucks you in and never let's you escape. I am still looking for a way out!