Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what to do about discrimination

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Wheeler View Post
    if reading is an essential function of the job and it is in most jobs then the firing was justified.
    I disagree. Then a blind person would be unemployable. Perhaps knowing what is in a written communication is essential, but there are ways for the employer to facilitate that without the employee having perfect vision, for example software or colleagues that read to the employee.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I disagree. Then a blind person would be unemployable. Perhaps knowing what is in a written communication is essential, but there are ways for the employer to facilitate that without the employee having perfect vision, for example software or colleagues that read to the employee.
    Speaking from an HR standpoint, reasonable accomodations must be just that. They cannot pose an unreasonable or undue financial hardship on the employer which in effect disrupts the business. The software recommendation is feasible (if the company can afford it), but the colleague reading the communication is usually not acceptable because another ee would be doing something outside the scope of his or her assigned tasks--not to mention the liability factor should their be some intentional misdirection.

I'm sorry for your trouble. Please supply reputable links to back up your claims that the EEOC only investigates 10% of the cases that are filed. I have a pending case the EEOC is investigating for me. Everyone I've talked to says they're not great but they are trying. I filed my claim and it took 8 months to get it started. I was told this would happen and understand the situation.

I was also told it would probably take about 6 months to a year to finish an investigation. The EEOC is severely understaffed due to budget cuts. The EEOC employees in my state are being hit with furlough days as well. It's a mess but that's no reason to dog the whole establishment.

I'm mad that my former employer fired me after I recovered from the accident that put me in a wheelchair. I'm mad that now my former employer is making false statements about everything post accident. They claim they tried to accommodate me which it total BS. I'm mad that I have a 14 year old teenager I'm trying to raise on my disability check alone, I'm mad that no one else will hire me because I am in a wheelchair, but I am grateful to the EEOC for the investigation that is finally underway. I realize this is an old post but I wanted to say something good about the EEOC.

Quote Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
    I'm sorry for your trouble. Please supply reputable links to back up your claims that the EEOC only investigates 10% of the cases that are filed. I have a pending case the EEOC is investigating for me. Everyone I've talked to says they're not great but they are trying. I filed my claim and it took 8 months to get it started. I was told this would happen and understand the situation.

I was also told it would probably take about 6 months to a year to finish an investigation. The EEOC is severely understaffed due to budget cuts. The EEOC employees in my state are being hit with furlough days as well. It's a mess but that's no reason to dog the whole establishment.

I'm mad that my former employer fired me after I recovered from the accident that put me in a wheelchair. I'm mad that now my former employer is making false statements about everything post accident. They claim they tried to accommodate me which it total BS. I'm mad that I have a 14 year old teenager I'm trying to raise on my disability check alone, I'm mad that no one else will hire me because I am in a wheelchair, but I am grateful to the EEOC for the investigation that is finally underway. I realize this is an old post but I wanted to say something good about the EEOC.
    How do you know they're trying? Because they said so