Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Passive Suicide

Hi Bob,

If I read it correctly the patient opted out of treatment and just wanted to be kept comfortable while nature took it's course.

A sad, sad story.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bob clark View Post
    Hi Adi... err... I mean Maximus,

That's true. But in this case, due to the patient's POLST, antibiotics of any type, effective or not, weren't even tried.

Bob.
    If the antibiotics worked to kill the bug .....Shame on people who could save a life.
    Something that is well diagnosed can be cured well."Hail Caesar! Those who are about to die salute you!" - Said by gladiators before they fought. Often cited with "salutamus" ("we . . . salute") in place of "salutant."

Quote Originally Posted by maximus1 View Post
    If the antibiotics worked to kill the bug .....Shame on people who could save a life.
    Shame on the system for not getting him proper treatment to begin with.

I'm sorry for your loss SCIOT.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

God bless you and all of your ilk. You all saved my life and those of so many friends, and so many friends I've yet to meet...maybe you didn't drag me from the fountain, or scrape my friends from the pavement, or pull the bullets from their necks. But OT/PT gave every one of us our lives. For those like me, with impaired finger function, OT is most critical. OT was what convinced me I could live, showed me some light at the end of an unbelievably dark tunnel, told me that my 3 biggest losses, the ones I feared most, weren't silly because they were important to ME. I needed to learn to pee and to poop and to roll over and sit up and yes, there is sex, and my diaphragm is partially paralyzed and my body's thermostat is now that of an iguana, and I couldn't do my money earning job and my ability to do my other jobs-mom, wife-were in serious jeopardy. But my biggest fears were 1. Not being able to turn the pages of a book and 2. Not being able to tweeze my eyebrows or highlight my hair and 3. Never traveling again without an entourage I could never afford.

My OT, Rafferty Laredo of TIRR, asked me straight up, which losses were scaring me most. He listened, then he brainstormed. Raff never lied to me and he never let me down. I needed help with an aspect of cathing, he created a solution using plastic salad tongs (LOL, don't laugh, it worked!) When I told him to patent it IMMEDIATELY, he said he'd rather present it for free at some OT convention, where he was to speak on the topic of "Thinking Outside of the Box".

Within 8 weeks, he gave me the skills to survive. Every time I meet someone that got no rehab, or had really crappy rehab, or weren't in a condition to take it all in, I wonder how they're alive today. I'm not sure I'd have made it.

For every one you lose, you must save dozens, even hundreds. I'm glad you're not jaded, but sorry you're hurting. People fail to see how often SCI is a terminal illness. We live close to the edge in these chairs.

I hope he's at peace now, and that you rest well tonight. Our people need you.

My heart bleeds from stories like this. I can only imagine how it hurts you.

Banned
    People fail to see how often SCI is a terminal illness. We live close to the edge in these chairs.

Very well said betheny.
    My respect.
    Something that is well diagnosed can be cured well."Hail Caesar! Those who are about to die salute you!" - Said by gladiators before they fought. Often cited with "salutamus" ("we . . . salute") in place of "salutant."

"BTW, what was the method of suicide? I don't think you'll be encouraging its use. From my gleaning, it doesn't seem very appealing"- Bob Clark
    He initially attempted via one of the most common ways- an overdose, oxycodone. Unfortunately it has (tylenol- I forget whether it is tylenol of acetomitophen)) that caused kidney,liver and brain damage. Once those organs are involved- it is often longterm damage. That was the case here. He had to go onto kidney dialysis, which took many months to get over. He had to have a feeding tube placed, and intermittently had to have TPN ( IV fluids that replaced food with needed supplements). First bedsores which of course were stage III om his sacrum. I believe in the end he had to get a colostomy. Being in the hospital made him lose much ground physically- no longer got out of bed daily, not wearing street clothes all of which lead down the depression trail . He overcome the kidney failure , the colostomy was reversible and his skin improved but was not healed completely. In the end he was able to eat some foods, off TPN, his feeding tube was in, but no longer required. Of course he was not back to his healthy self but he was survivable. He had gone through a tremendous amount - I just think in the end, he calculated that he could not afford everything out of pocket in the nearterm nor in the future. It was just too much. I am forever changed by his passing in my life. As fishin' guy knows, you all leave impressions on us therapists. Please know that the experience you have shared with us helps us to be better people and better therapists. thank you for this very special opportunity.
    With the greatest of respect to you all,
    Pam OTR/L

Quote Originally Posted by maximus1 View Post
    People fail to see how often SCI is a terminal illness.
    SCI is NOT a terminal illness.

Adi........oh, wait.....Maximus......yeah, that's it. Life is terminal. It is how you choose to spend the time you have that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    SCI is NOT a terminal illness.
    He was quoting Betheny.

Quote Originally Posted by shelley View Post
    He was quoting Betheny.
    Thanks Shelley.

To anyone who said it, SCI is NOT a terminal illness. Disability, in general, is NOT a terminal illness. As Eileen said, life may be, but beyond that, not so much.