Thread: Cody Unser Documentary Oscar Qualifying Runs Scheduled in NYC and LA

Cody Unser Documentary Oscar Qualifying Runs Scheduled in NYC and LA

For Immediate Release: April 7, 2009

Cody Unser Documentary Oscar Qualifying Runs Scheduled in NYC and LA

(Albuquerque, NM) –Christopher Productions and The Cody Unser First Step Foundation are proud to announce that the theatrical release of the documentary entitled, “CODY; The First Step” begins Oscar Qualifying runs in LA County April 17th –April 23rd, 2009 and in New York City from May 1-May 7th, 2009.

CODY is a powerful documentary that charts the extraordinary story of Cody Unser who was tragically struck with Transverse Myelitis at the age of 12. The disease left her paralyzed from the chest down. However, she refused to let that diagnosis define her and instead at age 13 founded the Cody Unser First Step Foundation to ensure that money would be raised to find a cure. For the last five years Cody has lobbied state legislatures and Congress to push for stem-cell research which offers the key to her own recovery. During the film, Cody shares with the viewers her determination to walk again. The film takes the viewers on an intimate journey with Cody detailing her daily emotional and physical struggles. The film also charts where science and politics intersect. Visit www.cufsf.org to see the trailer.

Cody Unser said, “I hope my story will shed some light on what it is really like to live with paralysis. I also hope that the film will lead to more research dollars so that paralysis*not just for me, but for all people, will become a treatable and reversible diagnosis. I want to thank all the people who have made these Oscar Qualifying Runs possible*especially Don Chalmers Ford, the Off Shore Super Series Powerboat Racing Association, Johns Hopkins Project Restore, and the Al Unser Jr. Children’s Charities.”

Chris Schueler, Director/Producer of CODY said, “Cody Unser has become an inspiration to everyone associated with the production. Despite her paralysis, Cody has not only remained remarkably independent but has made some amazing accomplishments. I am honored that Cody was willing to let our film crew into her life and I am confident the documentary will forever change how the public views people who are not disabled but rather differently abled.”

Friday April 17- Thursday April 23, 2009
    Laemmle's Town Center 5
    17200 Ventura Blvd, Encino, CA 91316
    818-981-9811

Friday May 1- Thursday May 7th, 2009
    IFC Center in New York
    323 Avenue of the Americas
    New York, NY 10014
    (212) 924-7771

I'm planning on attending the sneak preview in Santa Fe on Apr. 16. Can't wait!

Cool. I remember her at the rally!

She is paralyzed from the chest down?
    How can she manage with almost no wheelchair back and not flop back/sideways/over!?!

Beth, tell us how it goes.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

I thought she was a para for years, Nov, but she actually has finger impairment. I was stunned to realize that, and have probably asked her mom 5 times, just to clarify LOL. I've spent hours watching her, trying to figure out how she does it. It's a lot like how you do, with your posture. It's a balancing act. She's always balanced on 1 arm when sitting still, and in motion she just has the technique of balancing using head/shoulder weight.

With that low back on her chair, nobody can push her. So she holds their hands and they pull her! Her mom pulls her up stairs, etc. Her bf carries her onto airplanes, and pulls her by the hand other places. They're so cute!

She actually finally got a higher back on her chair though.

It was really brave of Cody to make this movie. It's not sugar-coated, from what I hear. Glenn Close narrated which is awesome. Shelley (Cody's mom) said there was a scene she almost couldn't watch. In it, Cody is showering, starts spazzing, falls off her shower chair. Has to drag herself back up, and the harder she tries, the more she spazzes. It's nudity but it's not sexy. It's damned hard to show yourself that vulnerable, esp. when you're Cody. Cuz that girl is all about the Glamour Shots!

At one point, I guess she says "When did the act of walking become political?"

She made this film during her last year of college, also difficult. She's madly in love w/ a race car driver from TX, but finished up her college in CA because they let her create her own degree, bio-politics. The separation was hard for her but she puts first things first. I have no doubt she's going to help us all a lot with that degree. She's learning the cure science basics, and how to bring them to the political arena to push this cure business forward.

And you know, she's grown up so much since we first met her. She is still perky and bouncy, but also poised and well-spoken. She's so pretty it's hard to not look at her when she's in the room. I catch myself staring at Cody. And she's kind. I was on a plane by myself, and hadn't been able to get American money at the airport. I was broke. So Cody sent me a Bailey's on the rocks from first class.

You remember her wheelie skills, Nov? She gets a lot done just through technique. She also does adaptive yoga, FES bike, hates her standing frame now though. It hurts her.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm crazy excited to be invited!

I thought she was a para for years, Nov, but she actually has finger impairment. I was stunned to realize that, and have probably asked her mom 5 times, just to clarify LOL. I've spent hours watching her, trying to figure out how she does it. It's a lot like how you do, with your posture. It's a balancing act.

With that low back on her chair, nobody can push her. So she holds their hands and they pull her! Her mom pulls her up stairs, etc. Her bf carries her onto airplanes, and pulls her by the hand other places. They're so cute!

She actually finally got a higher back on her chair though.

It was really brave of Cody to make this movie. It's not sugar-coated, from what I hear. Glenn Close narrated which is awesome. Shelley (Cody's mom) said there was a scene she almost couldn't watch. In it, Cody is showering, starts spazzing, falls off her shower chair. Has to drag herself back up, and the harder she tries, the more she spazzes. It's nudity but it's not sexy. It's damned hard to show yourself that vulnerable, esp. when you're Cody. Cuz that girl is all about the Glamour Shots!

At one point, I guess she says "When did the act of walking become political?"

She made this film during her last year of college, also difficult. She's madly in love w/ a race car driver from TX, but finished up her college in CA because they let her create her own degree, bio-politics. The separation was hard for her but she puts first things first. I have no doubt she's going to help us all a lot with that degree. She's learning the cure science basics, and how to bring them to the political arena to push this cure business forward.

And you know, she's grown up so much since we first met her. She is still perky and bouncy, but also poised and well-spoken. She's so pretty it's hard to not look at her when she's in the room. I catch myself staring at Cody. And she's kind. I was on a plane by myself, and hadn't been able to get American money at the airport. I was broke. So Cody sent me a Bailey's on the rocks from first class.

You remember her wheelie skills, Nov? She gets a lot done just through technique. She also does adaptive yoga, FES bike, hates her standing frame now though. It hurts her.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm crazy excited to be invited!

She needs a flat back to seat support standing frame. I tried a belted version my second trip through rehab after having the other for 2 years and the tilt table in acute before that. Those belts cut into your butt, back of your legs. That cuts off blood supply and makes my legs feel like they are asleep--all pins and needles. She probably gets nerve pain from hers as she's a complete.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.