Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New powerchair time....whats new?

New powerchair time....whats new?

Time to start the process of getting a new powerchair... I'm leaning heavily towards the Fronteir X5 but need to trial a couple others. Maybe try a front or rear wheel drive though I've always used a midwheel drive.
    Sort of interested in a standing powerchair but not sure about all the supports needed to hold the knees etc - they seem so obtrusive. And wonder about the practicality of doing things while standing. A seat elevator is the second option....

Any thoughts or reccomendations? Reliability is #1 factor, outdoor ability a close second though of course I need to be able to function in my home and vehicle etc.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

David has the Frontier X5 with the seat elevator and loves it. Has been the best thing we paid for out of pocket yet. We actually did order it with the elevating legs and he used them for awhile but he kept hitting things with them and breaking a plastic piece that holds the motors in place, so we ended up going with a manual elevating single center mount post for the foot rests instead. It is very sturdy.

How is the X5 in snow? I'm hoping it snows by the time I get my demo but it may not.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

It done wonderful, he was out in about 8 inches of snow pulling our grandaughter on a sled. I don't know who had the most fun, him or her. It has never been stuck in the snow, mud, been to the woods, river with sandy banks. He has only had it for about 10 months but it has been great.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    It done wonderful, he was out in about 8 inches of snow pulling our grandaughter on a sled. I don't know who had the most fun, him or her. It has never been stuck in the snow, mud, been to the woods, river with sandy banks. He has only had it for about 10 months but it has been great.
    How about gravel? Like deeper(4 inches) gravel?

I am so biased towards the X5, its hard to keep an open m ind.

Can't say he has ever been in deep gravel, our daughters house though has the big rock in the driveway like 2 inch size rock and it does fine.

I'm in same situation Emi. I' worried X5 be too big for indoors as wanted to use seat riser function for kitchen but also have a dog to walk.

I can't decide between standing chair which won't do as well over the fields etc or all terrain for outdoors. Only standing chair I could afford anyway is the genie but I don't like the huge kneepads either.

I can stand but can't keep my balance unless I'm holding myself up with both hands, which makes difficult to get stuff out of cupboards. I tried chair with seat riser and was much better having both arms free whilst chair kept body balanced!

My other idea was rifton pacer (or similar type gait trainer) with supports around my middle so arms are free which could use both as walker and standing frame (with brakes on) as I can take steps but again my major problem is balance.

Kati

Our house was built in 1972 so its not the big open floor plan, its about 2800 sq. ft. 3 bedroom. I have modified all doorways to 36 inches and put in hardwood or tile floors, no carpet left. David doesn't have any trouble in doors. It also loads easily into our 2006 Chevy Uplander van. I can't believe no one else is chiming in here to help you. I just can't say enough how pleased we are with the X5.

I am hoping to demo a Genie standing chair, I'd be a fool not to when its only £6,000, when all the others are way out of my budget.

If it won't fit through swing gate into park, I'll try get demo of X5 after Xmas when we get snow in UK. But I like the health benefits of a standing chair.

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/informatio...0805_12_13.jsp

Has anyone tried the Levo? It is 4x4 and has the standing feature. levousa.com