Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can they charge more for WC accessible rooms?

How can they charge more for WC accessible rooms?

Ok, we're going on our first overnight trip with our son this weekend and while looking for a room, I found a hotel that charged $18 more for wheel chair access. I know I'm new to this whole SCI thing, but has anyone else seen this.
    FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

In the US? They can't. From the ADAAG:

9.1.4 Classes of Sleeping Accommodations.

(1) In order to provide persons with disabilities a range of options equivalent to those available to other persons served by the facility, sleeping rooms and suites required to be accessible by 9.1.2 shall be dispersed among the various classes of sleeping accommodations available to patrons of the place of transient lodging. Factors to be considered include room size, cost, amenities provided, and the number of beds provided.

(2) Equivalent Facilitation. For purposes of this section, it shall be deemed equivalent facilitation if the operator of a facility elects to limit construction of accessible rooms to those intended for multiple occupancy, provided that such rooms are made available at the cost of a single occupancy room to an individual with disabilities who requests a single-occupancy room.

Are they saying that if they rented this same room to someone not in a chair it would be $18 cheaper, or that the only wheelchair accessible room they have available is in a price range that is $18 more than the available non-accessible rooms? There is a difference. If they are saying the first, then it is definitely an ADA violation. Is this a chain? I assume it is in the USA??? If it is a chain, you need to call their corporate offices and complain loud and long.

(KLD)

kld, as always, is right. in the u.s., this is illegal. please provide the hotel name and i will write or call.

I'm no lawyer, but I think that a hotel must offer an accessible room at the same price range as they offer the cheapest non-accessible rooms. Of course, they can also have accessible rooms in a higher price range. If the accessible rooms offered at the lower price are booked, then a guest may be offered an accessible room in a higher rate tier at the going price. Without this provision, a hotel could outfit only deluxe suites for accessibility, thereby excluding many wheelers by price while AB's could get cheaper rooms.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are they saying that if they rented this same room to someone not in a chair it would be $18 cheaper, or that the only wheelchair accessible room they have available is in a price range that is $18 more than the available non-accessible rooms? There is a difference. If they are saying the first, then it is definitely an ADA violation. Is this a chain? I assume it is in the USA??? If it is a chain, you need to call their corporate offices and complain loud and long.

(KLD)
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

i've been in high priced hotels where they had to kick airline personnel outta wheelchair accessible rooms for me. lexi has had AB kicked out. don't back down. they cannot charge more and they have to at least answer to why an accessible room is taken by an AB. while the latter is not illegal, i think it needs to be brought to their attention.

As I mentioned, I was browsing online and it appeared to me that the rooms were equivalent and the WC room was $18 more. I haven't called, but do plan to. It's the Comfort Inn & Suites in San Antonio. I was looking again on travelocity and found another hotel that also was more, $10. I do plan to call as well, maybe there is an explanation. I was just blown away, this is new to us and I never expected to encounter these issues in 2009.
    FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

I have been in many hotel/motel rooms and have never been overcharged. I agree with the rest, keep after them and don't take any crap!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Faithful1990 View Post
    As I mentioned, I was browsing online and it appeared to me that the rooms were equivalent and the WC room was $18 more. I haven't called, but do plan to. It's the Comfort Inn & Suites in San Antonio. I was looking again on travelocity and found another hotel that also was more, $10. I do plan to call as well, maybe there is an explanation. I was just blown away, this is new to us and I never expected to encounter these issues in 2009.
    Call the hotel directly, ask to speak to someone about the wheelchair room as access means something different to all.
    Is there a roll-in shower? etc.
    Then not only reserve it. BLOCK it.
    Get names before of the manager too.

Nothing worse than preparing a trip to find out you can't brush your teeth as you don't fit the whellchair in their bathroom.

p.s. They can't charge more, I'd be curious is this from their site or expedia? I see a lawsuit....
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Liz I think may have it. Travelocity may be charging the extra $10 as a "handicapped travel agency fee" or something. Like with Marriott we have to call the hotel and then they pass us to their national ADA line to insure we get the access we need. They don't trust their own employees at every hotel to know what "accessible" means. But they don't charge for the service. Yea, Travelocity may need a good lawyer.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.