Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need Wise's help

need Wise's help

hopefully Wise can help me on this. it's been nearly a year now this is happening, & it's causing so much trouble. i've been gulping down large air bubbles by accident, & then can't burp them out. they stay lodged in my belly, sometimes higher up too, feeling like it's at my diaphragm or behind my sternum. causes lots of tone/spasms.

it usually happens involuntarily, as a quick swallow where my throat doesn't close off properly & i gulp a big air bubble. i can't stop it b/c it's so fast, & i'm not triggering it, either. it just happens. it also happens when i swallow excess saliva in my mouth, so i've been either taking a drink of water to swallow or just spit the excess. it generally doesn't happen when eating or drinking, but sometimes does. it has nothing to do w/ straw use.

my GI doc gave up. i've had every test run for it: EGD, barium swallow [w/ GI also w/ speech pathology], & small bowel follow thru. none of these tests showed any problem. i was put on nexium for awhile, but it didn't help, nor did carafate[EGD showed mild bile gastritis].

there is a definite correlation b/t when this happens & when i have a lot of mucus in my throat. the saliva feels thick & i gulp air. i don't eat/drink any dairy, & have recently tried mucinex [too early to tell if working, but seems to help] to reduce mucus. also, the worse i feel, the more my body produces mucus & saliva. so i wonder how much one thing causes the other to get bad [does the mucus/saliva cause the gulp, or does the air bubble cause the mucus/saliva?]. the presence of so much mucus & saliva just has to be a clue to what's wrong.

simethicone has never worked for me. i only get relief after it's been a couple days, & the bubble has had time to pass thru. i'm c5/6 complete 7yrs post, 33 y/o, i take baclofen, ditropan xl, stool softener, & ranitidine.

btw--i've posted about this before, here:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=102037

i'd appreciate any help! thanks!!!
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

IMHO too much stomach gas is partially due to incomplete breakdown of the food in the stomach. Most comes from swallowing air when eating and drinking. Try taking some vitamin B-12 which helps with digestion and lowers flatulance and add some probiotics which helps with digestion. Take B-12 for breakfast and lunch, not dinner as it will keep you awake at night with too much energy. Take probiotics twice per day for a week to see it that helps. As a probiotic substitute, eat yogurt.

try drinking with a straw works for me.

Try pouring liquids in a 2-4 ounce cup and sipping small amounts at a time. Straws are thought to increase air.

CWO

If I read your post right it doesnt seem to have much to do with eating or drinking, in fact you swallow the air when you are not eating or drinking for the most part. It could be the mucus in the back of your throat causing you to do this.

Almost everyone gets that stuff in the back of the throat that causes throat clearing and then they swallow it or spit (which I hate because then I might wheel through it getting it on my hands..yuk!!). But unlike most people who swallow the mucus, you get air bubbles with it that you cannot clear. You might have slight allergies to dust or pollen or mold (all can be in your house) causing an increase in your mucus production. You might try a very mild antihistamine for a time to help dry up that stuff or at least lessen its quantity.

Dont forget to change your pillow about every six months, or have it in washable pillow protectors, because dust mites love bed pillows. All that moisture from slobber (I slobber at night)and skin cells are a perfect home for the little cooties. Be sure that someone vacuums your bed at least once a week. If all else fails, don't swallow the mucus, spit it out (into a tissue if you please).
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    hopefully Wise can help me on this. it's been nearly a year now this is happening, & it's causing so much trouble. i've been gulping down large air bubbles by accident, & then can't burp them out. they stay lodged in my belly, sometimes higher up too, feeling like it's at my diaphragm or behind my sternum. causes lots of tone/spasms.

it usually happens involuntarily, as a quick swallow where my throat doesn't close off properly & i gulp a big air bubble. i can't stop it b/c it's so fast, & i'm not triggering it, either. it just happens. it also happens when i swallow excess saliva in my mouth, so i've been either taking a drink of water to swallow or just spit the excess. it generally doesn't happen when eating or drinking, but sometimes does. it has nothing to do w/ straw use.

my GI doc gave up. i've had every test run for it: EGD, barium swallow [w/ GI also w/ speech pathology], & small bowel follow thru. none of these tests showed any problem. i was put on nexium for awhile, but it didn't help, nor did carafate[EGD showed mild bile gastritis].

there is a definite correlation b/t when this happens & when i have a lot of mucus in my throat. the saliva feels thick & i gulp air. i don't eat/drink any dairy, & have recently tried mucinex [too early to tell if working, but seems to help] to reduce mucus. also, the worse i feel, the more my body produces mucus & saliva. so i wonder how much one thing causes the other to get bad [does the mucus/saliva cause the gulp, or does the air bubble cause the mucus/saliva?]. the presence of so much mucus & saliva just has to be a clue to what's wrong.

simethicone has never worked for me. i only get relief after it's been a couple days, & the bubble has had time to pass thru. i'm c5/6 complete 7yrs post, 33 y/o, i take baclofen, ditropan xl, stool softener, & ranitidine.

btw--i've posted about this before, here:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=102037

i'd appreciate any help! thanks!!!
    ScottS,

I was going to suggest simethicone but you have already tried that. I am not sure what else can be done. The only thing that I can think of is to place a nasogastric tube. This is of course what they would do in an emergency room. I know that placement of an NG tube is uncomfortable but it seems that you are very uncomfortable due to the trapped gas and this would provide definitive relief.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    If I read your post right it doesnt seem to have much to do with eating or drinking, in fact you swallow the air when you are not eating or drinking for the most part. It could be the mucus in the back of your throat causing you to do this.

Almost everyone gets that stuff in the back of the throat that causes throat clearing and then they swallow it or spit (which I hate because then I might wheel through it getting it on my hands..yuk!!). But unlike most people who swallow the mucus, you get air bubbles with it that you cannot clear. You might have slight allergies to dust or pollen or mold (all can be in your house) causing an increase in your mucus production. You might try a very mild antihistamine for a time to help dry up that stuff or at least lessen its quantity.

Dont forget to change your pillow about every six months, or have it in washable pillow protectors, because dust mites love bed pillows. All that moisture from slobber (I slobber at night)and skin cells are a perfect home for the little cooties. Be sure that someone vacuums your bed at least once a week. If all else fails, don't swallow the mucus, spit it out (into a tissue if you please).
    yeah, the mucus must have something to do w/ it, causing my throat to react & operate incorrectly. i've used claritin, zyrtec, and moved cities since this all started [didn't move b/c trying to escape the problem, just so happened to move]. so allergies don't seem to be an issue. i don't use a pillow, & sleep on my back on a tempurpedic, so mites aren't a possibility. idk.
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    ScottS,

I was going to suggest simethicone but you have already tried that. I am not sure what else can be done. The only thing that I can think of is to place a nasogastric tube. This is of course what they would do in an emergency room. I know that placement of an NG tube is uncomfortable but it seems that you are very uncomfortable due to the trapped gas and this would provide definitive relief.

Wise.
    btw, sorry to address the post to you, i generally don't like it when ppl do that, but i'm at wit's end. what about the excessive mucus & saliva production? what are reasons for the body to do that which might apply to me? i've had a rough few yrs dealing w/ abd pain originally triggered by too much laxative use. as that has gotten better, this began happening almost a yr ago. what about the fact that the EGD showed no problems, yet i feel an air bubble get lodged at different levels [sternum, diaphragm, or stomach]? how can it stop part way? i'm not so sure about the NG tube, only b/c it almost seems like the bubble goes down my esophogus as a bubble of phlegm/mucus. i doubt it'd breach the bubble, but i might try it.
    ...Mark Twain

...Winston Churchill

...George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Try pouring liquids in a 2-4 ounce cup and sipping small amounts at a time. Straws are thought to increase air.

CWO
    i've ruled out straws as the problem by not using them. same problem anyway. actually i've found it easier to swallow normally by using a straw due to the positioning of my jaw. sipping small amounts ends up causing more trouble. it's strange, i know...
    ...Mark Twain

...Winston Churchill

...George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    btw, sorry to address the post to you, i generally don't like it when ppl do that, but i'm at wit's end. what about the excessive mucus & saliva production? what are reasons for the body to do that which might apply to me? i've had a rough few yrs dealing w/ abd pain originally triggered by too much laxative use. as that has gotten better, this began happening almost a yr ago. what about the fact that the EGD showed no problems, yet i feel an air bubble get lodged at different levels [sternum, diaphragm, or stomach]? how can it stop part way? i'm not so sure about the NG tube, only b/c it almost seems like the bubble goes down my esophogus as a bubble of phlegm/mucus. i doubt it'd breach the bubble, but i might try it.
    Scott, you can apply suction through the NG tube while withdrawing. This will break the bubbles. Are you drinking a lot of milk? That often causes increased mucus production.

Wise.